Effect of dispossession on Aboriginal Spirituality (1 Viewer)

albearr

HSC
I have an assessment on the effect of dispossession on Aboriginal Spirituality and I wanted some extra information if anyone has anything they know about this topic please reply

bored of sc

HSC
Dispossession: Aboriginal peoples taken from their land e.g. protection, assimilation, stolen generations etc.

Effect: mainly negative. Loss of deep spiritual links with land. Essence of dreaming (land) links destroyed. Kinship systems break down. Obligations to land cannot be fulfilled. Rituals and ceremonies are not performed, further detaching them from their ancestors, core beliefs regarding creation/existence etc.

Be sure to use specific textbook words to make your response precise.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I had some great notes on this but I think I wiped them.
You need to make sure you're linking everything together, cause and effect.

Dispossession means, as bored of sc said, the removal of the Aboriginal peoples from their land, "their country".
This is the same country to which The Dreaming has forged for them an inextricable connection.
EVERYTHING revolved around Country. It defined who they were, where they could go.
The loss of contact with this land resulted in the loss of access to Sacred sites, totems, wtc. especially when you compare the traditional practices of the Aboriginal people compared with the upbringing which they were subjected to in missions etc.
For the "Stolen Generations" disposession has also meant loss of kinship ties with their tribe, also inability to have their rites of initiation. Thus spirituality is affected.
Furthermore, this loss of kinship and contact with elders has resulted in the loss of hundreds of languages from all the tribes which were in existence before disposession. As the Aboriginal culture relies strongly on verbal tradition and communication, this has furthermore led to loss of oral tradition, and spiritual practices.

P.S. This is probably not everything you need to discuss in a full assessment task but I hope this has helped in some way.. this is all off the top of my head so if I think of anything else I'll post it.

albearr

HSC
thanks heaps to both of you... that really helped me out just to get the main idea of it :)

rwilson1

HSC
Explain the ffects of disposseion on Aboriginal Spirituality & the stolen generation

i have this assignment to do and i'm finding really hard to find information on this? someone please help =:)burn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)