Studies of Religion II... is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

band-geek-92

HSC
hey everyone,

i'm in year 11 and doing SoR II and was just wondering whether its worth keeping it for the hsc. i just had my first topic test and walked away with 79%... i was happy with that because i didnt put in as much study as i know i should have but it still worked really hard!!! most of the marks i lost were because our teacher is a PEDANTIC(!!!) marker!

the kids i am friends with in year 12 are telling me i should drop to 1 unit becaue they are all completely stressing out about 2 unit. i dont know what to do... i am a humanities student and so sont have a problem with essays and stuff... it just seems that there are truck loads of content to learn.

religion is compulsorary at my school so i dont have the option of dropping it all together.

the subjects i am doing atm are:
- advanced english
- extension english
- mathmatics
- modern history
- physics
- music 1
- religion II

and i am either thinking of dropping ext. eng and physics (do the hsc with 10 units) or ext. eng and 1 unit of religion (do the hsc with 11 units)

i would really like some advice on what to do.. expecially from current and past hsc kids. thanks!!

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
do ten. reduces the workload and is much less stressful. especially sor, DROP!

band-geek-92

HSC
especially sor, DROP!
so what do you suggest i drop?? i want to drop physics because i think it will pull my marks down but im willing to perservere. im no crash hot on doing ext english though....

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
i did sorII

it was pretty cool, year 12 is much more interesting than year 11, not too much work in it basically you learnt a bit of information and mostly you need to know how to respond to the verb using this information

English and essay writing are my weak points, and even with doing poorly in the first assesment i managed to get a high band 5 in sorII which was good since i didnt study too much for it and also i basically died of heat stroke in the middle of the hsc exam

choose subjects based on how much you enjoy them and if you need them for your desired uni course, dont choose something based on scaling, if you dont enjoy it you will be reluctant to do it

samthebear

HSC
1) choose something you like to carry onto year 12
2) If its unnecessary work drop it
3) My advice: drop down to SoR1, its easier and without studying much i can just about say that you'll get into the 85% and above range. This is especially true if you (as you say you are) are good at essays/humanities. This is a massive plus point - this is easy marks here, a good high band five to low band 6 will make a difference to your end UAI.

I dont want to comment on physics or anything even tho i did it in year 11. This is cuz i'm extremly biased against physics. Hated my teacher who taught it in year 11 and as a result i really dont see any thing good about keeping physics - but if you're good at it and it may be a pre-req for any courses you want to do in uni keep to it.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
so what do you suggest i drop?? i want to drop physics because i think it will pull my marks down but im willing to perservere. im no crash hot on doing ext english though....
i was saying drop sorII to sorI

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
i was saying drop sorII to sorI
not always an option at some schools, its really only catholic schooles which offer both sorII and sorI

whilst some catholic and private school just offer sorII which is the case in my local area

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
not always an option at some schools, its really only catholic schooles which offer both sorII and sorI

whilst some catholic and private school just offer sorII which is the case in my local area
really? wow.

i suppose ay my school you can only do adv eng, not std. but religion?

he said though that he wanted to drop to sorI so i'm assuming that his school will let him.

band-geek-92

HSC
really? wow.

i suppose ay my school you can only do adv eng, not std. but religion?

he said though that he wanted to drop to sorI so i'm assuming that his school will let him.
i can drop to 1 unit but if i do it means that i cant drop extension eng. aswell without doing the hsc with 11 units (which im not overly keen on) so what you do guys suggest?? drop to sorI and drop another two units, keeping ext. or... keep sor II and drop ext eng along with one other subject.

oh, and btw.... im a girl lol

Smeegen999

HSC
I would keep sorII. Having 10 units is so much easier in the hsc, its one less subject to worry about.

I actually picked up sorII (from sorI) in year 12 because I wanted to drop a 2 unit subject. There are ALOT of essays to remember but the content is interesting enough and if you're decent at writing essays you should be fine.

HSC
i dont know about SORII.
i do SORI & it is such an easy way to get marks!
i wouldnt drop it!

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i can drop to 1 unit but if i do it means that i cant drop extension eng. aswell without doing the hsc with 11 units (which im not overly keen on) so what you do guys suggest?? drop to sorI and drop another two units, keeping ext. or... keep sor II and drop ext eng along with one other subject.

oh, and btw.... im a girl lol
ah. my bad. sorry. i didn't even look at that. =||.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Keep it. Religion is easy to bullshit in. I bullshitted my half yearlies and ended up getting the top mark.

spoonbender

HSC
Ugh, Extension English and SORII are/were my two least favourite subjects -_- I ended dropping ext english. My SOR teacher doesn't teach us anything so we have to do a considerable amount at home (which is probably why I'm failing).

If you've got a good teacher and you're willing to work at it then I would suggest keeping it cos it's all textbook stuff. Also, you'll then have 11 units which means you've got a spare unit to fall back on. Also, you're gonna have to do half the 2 unit course even if you drop so it's not THAT much more work, especially compared to Extension English (which is heaps of work for just one unit >_>)

However, you might also want to take scaling into consideration. I think physics scales better than SOR2, though I haven't checked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)