Sectarianism (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
For SOR 2 prelim. topic religious traditions in Australia pre 1945

the syllabus says i need to be able to examine the impact of sectarianism on the relationship among christian denominations in australia pre 1945

can anybody explain what sectarianism is about? i know the definition is 'the narrow and excessive allegiance to a particular religious group' but i dont understand how that had an impact on religion in au pre 1945.

thankyou to anyone that helps or replies :)

aboumj1

HSC
heyy,

Sectarianism is basically the split between 2 religious denominations. For example the split that occured between the 2 christian denominations; catholuics and protestants. This split therfore caused nfurther rivalry and split throughout australian society.. eg the separation throughout social welfare, public morality services.. and throughout politics particualrly in the issue of conscription.

Also the impact of sectarianism prior to 1945:
  • Sectarianism refers to rivalry or division along religious lines
  • Sectarianism leads to severe discrimination, persecution and violence
  • Social and political reasons mixed with religious reasons
  • At the time of the arrival of the first fleet (1788) there was considerable rivalry and bitterness between the Church of England and Catholics in England and Ireland.
  • The Protestant reformation of the 16th century had left a great deal of bitterness between the Catholics and Protestants
  • Secondly, the occupation of Ireland by the English and the oppression of the Irish people maintained the strength of feeling
  • Colony was set up with the Church of England as the established religion Catholics in the colony were a small minority and felt they were harshly treated
  • Everybody expected to attend Divine Service
  • For most of the first 30 years of the colony Catholics were not permitted to have a Priest minister to their community
  • The Irish (Catholics) were regarded as "scum" by most of the English authorities
  • Education became an important political issue which was played out according to sectarian division
  • Employment practices were further instances of sectarianism.
  • Notices regarding positions vacant often included the qualification "Catholics need not apply".
  • Discrimination in employment was not practiced in the Public Service
  • Catholic schools had a strong focus on preparing their students to pass the annual Public Service examination
  • Debate over conscription in World War I further fuelled sectarian rivalry.
  • To introduce conscription required a successful passage of a referendum on the issue
  • Leaders of the Protestant Churches urged citizens to show loyalty to Britain and support the referendum
  • Catholic leaders by contrast were strident in their opposition
  • Opposition led to a great escalation of hostility towards Catholics who were considered as traitors
  • A significant number of Protestants had to also oppose the issue for the referenda to be defeated
hope this helps :)

notorious187

HSC
Re: Austrlia pre1945

Can anybody help me with my preliminary SOR assignment asking for the contributions and influences of religion (the main three: christianity, judaism and islam) on the Australian education system prior to 1945

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)