Islam as a living religious tradition (1 Viewer)

view11

HSC
Hi,

I've been given a question to answer within class regarding the teachings of Islam:

Analyse how the teachings of Islam contribute to an understanding of the living religious tradition as a whole. You may refer to Sayyid Qutb AND/OR Hajj AND/OR sexual ethics in your response.

This is keeping in mind that the teachings of Islam are beliefs, ethics, practices and texts. Also that the teachings contribute together to form a holistic understanding the living religious tradition.

I'm just wondering how to structure it effectively, it seems like there's so many ways of doing it, but I'm really just in search of the best way.

Any help would be great.

nicko21

HSC
i got a similar question that i have to do tomorro,
how did you go about yours ?

natzoxox

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Did you end up getting an answer for this or end up doing the task? I've got a question that is very similar to this and I'm not sure how to talk about the person and how they contribute to Islam as a living religious tradition.

Thanks xx

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
You can mention the fact that Islam as a living tradition, (at least we are talking orthodox Sunni Islam here, and in a way Shia Islam, however the latter is not relevant to Sayyid Qutb), in that in Islam there are religious authorities, the class of ulema who are seen as the learned theologians and jurists and are seen by the Muslim community as the inheritors of the teachings of the Prophet.

Sayyid Qutb comes into play, in that he was a very popular figure across the Arab speaking Muslim world, and yet he was not trained in the traditional Islamic sciences (using science in the Aristotelian sense of the word), such as that of tafsir (exegesis), hadith, fiqh (jurisprudence) and 'aqeedah (theology) (along with other preliminary sciences such as Arabic grammar, logic, rhetoric etc.). In fact his education was largely secular, and in his early years held disdain for the traditional madrasa system of the ijazah in which one becomes certified in a science only through the approval of one's teacher who in turn gained approval from his teacher and so on in a chain leading back to the Prophet.

So, Sayyid Qutb became a prominent speaker for the Arab speaking Muslims in issues of social justice, politics and religion, without even receiving formal religious training. Qutb was not of the ulema and yet he was still exalted in the public sphere. This has contributed to Islam as a religious tradition since it has popularized the idea of a religious education divorced from the medieval intricacies of the classical madrasa training with the ijazah. Now, one can become an educated Muslim instead by going to secular institutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)