Confusion with 2008 HSC MC (1 Viewer)

carmela300

HSC
Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a while and thought i should clarify it

In the 2008 SOR paper, in the post-1945 section, question 8 reads "what would followers of New Age spirituality reject?"

The answer is 'modern materialistic values', but i thought that new age religions focused more on the self/individual

So i thought the answer should be 'spirituality focused on a deity' as new age religions generally dont believe in a diety

Can anyone clarify why the answer is that they reject modern materialistic values???

Thanks

Colemans

HSC
N/A
Modern materialistic values refers to things such as money and fast cars.

Its a weird question in terms of the options like that deity one.

Last edited:

niccrx

HSC
materialistic values has led to the growth in secularism not new age. therefore new age would reject materialism

enoilgam

HSC
Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a while and thought i should clarify it

In the 2008 SOR paper, in the post-1945 section, question 8 reads "what would followers of New Age spirituality reject?"

The answer is 'modern materialistic values', but i thought that new age religions focused more on the self/individual

So i thought the answer should be 'spirituality focused on a deity' as new age religions generally dont believe in a diety

Can anyone clarify why the answer is that they reject modern materialistic values???

Thanks
You have to remember that with MC, sometimes it's a case of the "most correct" option as opposed to simple right/wrong. As you stated, new age religions "generally" reject dieties, but not all do. In contrast, the rejection of materialism is a common theme with most new age religions. Therefore, I can see how that would be more correct.

ruba mariz

HSC
Hi,
I checked the question and why the most correct answer is modern materialistic values is because new age religions can believe in spiritual beings. If you look carefully at the answer it is not A DIETY but diety- general i.e Spirituality focused on deity. So the most correct answer out of the ones that are there would be the one relating to modern materialistic values. I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)