• 1 Post By niccrx
  • 1 Post By enoilgam

Thread: Confusion with 2008 HSC MC

Cadet
    HSC

Confusion with 2008 HSC MC

Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a while and thought i should clarify it

In the 2008 SOR paper, in the post-1945 section, question 8 reads "what would followers of New Age spirituality reject?"

The answer is 'modern materialistic values', but i thought that new age religions focused more on the self/individual

So i thought the answer should be 'spirituality focused on a deity' as new age religions generally dont believe in a diety

Can anyone clarify why the answer is that they reject modern materialistic values???

Thanks
    "Chemistry's the one with the shapes and shit, right?"

ATAR AIM: 90+ (ATTAINED)

SELLING Notes and Books - Subjects; Ancient History, Studies of Religion, Mathematics, Legal Studies, Advanced and Extension 1 English Notes (MESSAGE FOR PRICES AND INFO)

HSC
    N/A

Re: Confusion with 2008 HSC MC

Modern materialistic values refers to things such as money and fast cars.

Its a weird question in terms of the options like that deity one.
    Last edited by Colemans; 26 Oct 2014 at 2:10 PM.
    carmela300 likes this.
    destination unknown

HSC

materialistic values has led to the growth in secularism not new age. therefore new age would reject materialism
    carmela300 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by carmela300 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a while and thought i should clarify it

In the 2008 SOR paper, in the post-1945 section, question 8 reads "what would followers of New Age spirituality reject?"

The answer is 'modern materialistic values', but i thought that new age religions focused more on the self/individual

So i thought the answer should be 'spirituality focused on a deity' as new age religions generally dont believe in a diety

Can anyone clarify why the answer is that they reject modern materialistic values???

Thanks
    You have to remember that with MC, sometimes it's a case of the "most correct" option as opposed to simple right/wrong. As you stated, new age religions "generally" reject dieties, but not all do. In contrast, the rejection of materialism is a common theme with most new age religions. Therefore, I can see how that would be more correct.
    carmela300 likes this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC

Hi,
    I checked the question and why the most correct answer is modern materialistic values is because new age religions can believe in spiritual beings. If you look carefully at the answer it is not A DIETY but diety- general i.e Spirituality focused on deity. So the most correct answer out of the ones that are there would be the one relating to modern materialistic values. I hope this helps.

Thread Information