Status
Not open for further replies.

antonelaaa21

HSC
Can someone outline some of the general ethics of islam for me
thanks

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I found a few Quran verses that might point you in the right direction, [concerning ethics] :)

"So when you meet those who disbelieve [in battle], strike [their] necks until, when you have inflicted slaughter upon them, then secure their bonds, and either [confer] favor afterwards or ransom [them] until the war lays down its burdens. That [is the command]. And if Allah had willed, He could have taken vengeance upon them [Himself], but [He ordered armed struggle] to test some of you by means of others. And those who are killed in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds." Quran 47:4

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;" Quran 5:33

"Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection." Quran 9:29

"The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said, "Yes." He said, "This is because of the deficiency of a woman's mind." Sahih Bukhari

Hope this helps [and provides an more critical understanding of Islamic ethics] :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Read this as a starting point, it is a much more neutral place to start:
http://www.patheos.com/Library/Isla...es-of-Moral-Thought-and-Action?offset=2&max=1

In terms of alternative viewpoints, their are certainly valid viewpoints, like that express in the above reply. However, in general practice, as with many belief systems, the ethics system of Islam is complex, and often cannot be reduced to selected passages from the holy text. However, since this is an academic study, it does provide and highlight differences and disparities between systems of ethics in the West and in the Islamic-majority countries.

Last edited:

spongebob23

HSC
hey. some of the ethics are :
respect especially towards elders and mothers because its believed heaven is under the feet of their mothers (metaphorically)
understanding and compassion
peace
helping those in need (which is why muslims fast - to have empathy- and thennn they have to give a percentage of their earnings to the poor)
collectivism rather than individualism
purity - muslims pray 5 times a day, thus typically wash most of their body 5 times a day (wudu before prayer)
nafs is a core belief in islam - self control. :) hope it helps

lilhumdrum

HSC
That first commenter needs a life. Here is what Islam is from a practising muslim :)

A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet (PBUH) said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim)

We respect our parents so much! We pray and are taught to be humble and grateful. We give charity to the poor and gifts to our neighbours, we observe a holy month where we fast during the day then eat and share our food at night, in order to empathise with the less fortunate and follow a main pillar in Islam. We must behave justly;

“God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)

We dress modestly and must respect all religions and in reponse to the first commenter, here are ten rules of battle that had to be followed in the time where relevant. (As Muslims don't have traditional battles anymore so your point was irrelevant and unnecessary).

1. “Do not kill any child, any woman, or any elder or sick person.” (Sunan Abu Dawud)

2. “Do not practice treachery or mutilation.(Al-Muwatta)

3. Do not uproot or burn palms or cut down fruitful trees.(Al-Muwatta)

4. Do not slaughter a sheep or a cow or a camel, except for food.” (Al-Muwatta)

5. “If one fights his brother, [he must] avoid striking the face, for God created him in the image of Adam.” (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

6. “Do not kill the monks in monasteries, and do not kill those sitting in places of worship. (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

7. “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.” (Sahih Bukhari; Sunan Abu Dawud)

8. “Do not wish for an encounter with the enemy; pray to God to grant you security; but when you [are forced to] encounter them, exercise patience.” (Sahih Muslim)

9. “No one may punish with fire except the Lord of Fire.” (Sunan Abu Dawud).

10. “Accustom yourselves to do good if people do good, and to not do wrong even if they commit evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

We also have been taught not to be selfish or gluttonous, we must speak only kind words and act nicely in character all together. We just want to live in peace like anyone else but we're being hated by many now /: Well i hope I've given you some insight.

So see ya and Peace be upon you! :)

Drsoccerball

HSC
What you fail to understand is that the Qur'an has to be read with the correct context. (These verses were revealed in the context of war). As the guy above me mentioned that there are rules and guidelines of war unlike many other common religions now-a-days. So if you look at the hadith and verses of the Qur'an which were revealed in the context of war with the guidelines mentioned and the context surrounding the events it can help you write something about the ethics of Islam compared to other religions who don't have guidelines on wars and due to this cause major violation of human rights in some inevitable wars. (If you don't want to get a bad mark then look at the context of verses especially verses which appear controversial).

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread has been kept. However, just a reminder that this thread should not be here to discuss the merits or issues with Islam, there is a forum for that here
News & Current Affairs:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/214/news-current-affairs-politics/

Just my two cents,
Whether Islam promotes violence will really differ from the perspective. Clearly those of the faith, in the west, will generally present a positive view. DrSoccerball I know has interacted positively, even though I disagree with him often. In terms of surah 9 I am familiar of that verse 29. Lets say hypothetically, that self-defense and retaliation (as I see it is justified), however it is doesn't justify misrepresentation of opponents in verse 30.

The context is allegedly the Battle of Tabuk, when this Surah which you can read in context here https://quran.com/9
Expedition to Tabouk (please note footnotes for sources)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_Tabouk#cite_note-Nafziger13-1

https://www.al-islam.org/restatemen...lims-sayyid-ali-ashgar-razwy/expedition-tabuk
(pro-Islamic site)
https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/muhammad/byzantine-9-29.aspx (opposing-view, strongly opposed to Islam site)

The Battle of Tabouk (also called the Battle of Tabuk) was a military expedition, which, according to Muslim biographies, was initiated by the Prophet Muhammad in October 630. Muhammad led a force of as many as 30,000 north to Tabouk in present-day northwestern Saudi Arabia, with the intention of engaging the Byzantine army. Though not a battle in the typical sense, if historical the event would represent the opening conflict in the coming Byzantine-Arab wars. There is no contemporary Byzantine account of the events, and much of the details come from later Muslim sources.

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/battle_of_tabuk (close to neutral site)

(It is interesting to look at the history around the 600s)

Often the issue is how those who confess the faith actually practice. And in the case of those who confess Islam, it is certainly a tricky topic. If you wish to discuss, I suggest start a thread in News & Current Affairs. Thanks.

=====

Ethical standards in Islam involve certain things like
no alcohol
halal food standards
no sex outside of marriage

Often the main example for Muslims, is their holy Prophet Mohammed.

and of course there are required rituals:
5 prayers a day
pilgrimage to Mecca once in lifetime
Ramadan month of fasting
etc.

Some other notes:
The quran is only considered as inspired in the original classical Arabic. For those of the Muslim faith,
remembering and reciting the Quran is very important and considered an art of itself.

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
That first commenter needs a life. Here is what Islam is from a practising muslim,

A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet (PBUH) said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim)

We respect our parents so much! We pray and are taught to be humble and grateful. We give charity to the poor and gifts to our neighbours, we observe a holy month where we fast during the day then eat and share our food at night, in order to empathise with the less fortunate and follow a main pillar in Islam. We must behave justly;

“God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)

We dress modestly and must respect all religions and in reponse to the first commenter, here are ten rules of battle that had to be followed in the time where relevant. (As Muslims don't have traditional battles anymore so your point was irrelevant and unnecessary).

1. “Do not kill any child, any woman, or any elder or sick person.” (Sunan Abu Dawud)

2. “Do not practice treachery or mutilation.(Al-Muwatta)

3. Do not uproot or burn palms or cut down fruitful trees.(Al-Muwatta)

4. Do not slaughter a sheep or a cow or a camel, except for food.” (Al-Muwatta)

5. “If one fights his brother, [he must] avoid striking the face, for God created him in the image of Adam.” (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

6. “Do not kill the monks in monasteries, and do not kill those sitting in places of worship. (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

7. “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.” (Sahih Bukhari; Sunan Abu Dawud)

8. “Do not wish for an encounter with the enemy; pray to God to grant you security; but when you [are forced to] encounter them, exercise patience.” (Sahih Muslim)

9. “No one may punish with fire except the Lord of Fire.” (Sunan Abu Dawud).

10. “Accustom yourselves to do good if people do good, and to not do wrong even if they commit evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

We also have been taught not to be selfish or gluttonous, we must speak only kind words and act nicely in character all together. We just want to live in peace like anyone else but we're being hated by many now /: Well i hope I've given you some insight.

So see ya and Peace be upon you! :)
Sorry, but I need some clarification. I would like to point out I simply grabbed actual quotes from your holy book and didn't even provide my opinion so I don't understand why I need a life...

Also, does this mean your book contradicts itself? Or is it that different people are interpreting it differently? I find it amazing how such a loving book can be so misunderstood by bad people smh...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, but I need some clarification. I would like to point out I simply grabbed actual quotes from your holy book and didn't even provide my opinion so I don't understand why I need a life...

Also, does this mean your book contradicts itself? Or is it that different people are interpreting it differently? I find it amazing how such a loving book can be so misunderstood by bad people smh...
Hey guys so this thread is helpful can you please continue this discussion in the forum suggested. Thanks
Feel free to PM or notify me of the link, and I'll edit it in.

Here is a thread BUT i recommend starting a new thread...
http://community.boredofstudies.org...40604/thread-islam-sceptics-sympathisers.html

this thread has been closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)