Mabo and Wik (1 Viewer)

~amy~

I need a hand with the Land Rights Movement. Anyone got any simple notes???

yoslu

HSC
N/A
Land Rights Movement

Land Rights: Claims by indigenous Australians to repossession and compensation for white use of their lands and sacred sites

Native Title: the name given by the High Court to indigenous property rights recognised by the court as handed down to them in the Mabo decision on 3rd June 1992

Mabo (1992): Recognised native title rights existed in Australia, overthrew the legal fiction of 'terra nullius;
Confirmed the passing of the Native Title Act 1993

WIK (1996): Said Native Title could co-exist with other rights on land held under pastoral leases
John Howard introduced the 10 Point Plan to put WIK ruling in practice

Native Title Amendment Act (1998): empowers the state and territories to legislate their own native title regimes

I hope that helps!

~amy~

thanks, it is helpful.
leads me onto another question tho - whats the ten point plan?? is it important to know?
Im a bit unsure of how much I need to understand about the Land Rights movement and what they would ask in an exam. (i do 1 unit re)

yoslu

HSC
N/A
i don't think the 10 point plan is going to be really imporant to know but at least know that it exists, i think they are more likely to ask about native title and mabo.
basicially the 10 point plan made it harder for aboriginals to claim land rights and it extinguished title on leases given for exclusive possession to the aboriginals. land rights is one small section in the foundation topic so its most likely that if they are gonna test us on it, it will be in the multiple choice but they will probably include one or two short answer questions on the whole topic, whether it will be specifically on land rights, i dunno.

i3317

HSC
hey i was wondering if any one could help me with these questions

Question 1 - Describe the experiences of Aboriginal service personnel in World War One and World War Two.

Question 2 - Why was a referendum held on Aboriginal citizenship in 1967?

Question 3 - Why were Aborigines given land rights in the 1970s?

Question 4 - Assess the significance of the Mabo and Wik decisions for Aboriginal people.

thanks heaps

Juraga

HSC
This is useful stuff.

To be honest, I've managed to guess my way through the last bunch of Aboriginal Spirituality questions... I've never put any real study into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)