Religion and Ecology (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
I am explaining and evaluating the Christian response to environmental issues.

However, I'm not exactly sure whether I should talk about the recent tsunami or not.
Do you think that I could talk about it, as it is an environmental issue? Or is it assisting humanity more than the environment?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask, it's difficult to say :(

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I think u should do that.
tsunami is a good topic to do...talk about how it has affected peoples religous beliefs

goan_crazy

HSC
dani_danoz said:
I am explaining and evaluating the Christian response to environmental issues.

However, I'm not exactly sure whether I should talk about the recent tsunami or not.
Do you think that I could talk about it, as it is an environmental issue? Or is it assisting humanity more than the environment?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask, it's difficult to say :(
there was a good quote i saw on the news the other day
that sri lankan priest said...
"how can we tell people that God loves them" like when things like this happen

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
assuming that this is for the ISP (you dont say bt the title indicates)
tudents learn about:
(A) human use of and interaction with nature, as reflected in one religious tradition
∑ the historical and contemporary religious response to human use and preservation of the environment
∑ the use of sacred writings where appropriate
(B) changing views within religion in respect of human interaction with the natural environment
∑ how religious views about the world and nature have influenced the attitudes of people towards using, protecting and interacting with the natural environment
(C) religious response to environmental issues
∑ issues that could be considered are pollution, global warming, ozone depletion, forest use and preservation and protection of endangered species.

Maybe area C? But IMO you would be hardpressed to get a religious response to the tsunami as its a "one off" (in comparison to the other suggested areas which are on-going"). You may get religious responses through charity actions but thats not what the ISP topic is really about......

You have to look at whta religious response means. It usually refers to a stance or point of view not sympathy (if that makes sense).

Whilst Joes quote is a good one, its not really in line with the syllabus requirements

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think this section of the ISP is more about how religion helps the environment rather than how it helps people affected by the environment

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
But if your teacher agrees then really its up to you if you want to do it

Danoz The Great

HSC
Our school thought of five questions and we HAD to pick one of them. We couldn't make up our own questions.

But yeah, I think I won't say anything on the tsunami. Thanks for your help people :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dani_danoz said:
Our school thought of five questions and we HAD to pick one of them. We couldn't make up our own questions.

But yeah, I think I won't say anything on the tsunami. Thanks for your help people :)
questions or topic areas?

If a question (how bizare and boring+it violates the syllabus), what is the question/what are the questions?

edit: saw that you are at Port.
Is that the school where Jakob Sorenson (?? I think) is/was the principal? (my niece-Korryn Jacobs class of 02 I think- went there and she had this same problem!)
If so, I would argue that you can pick any topic from the syllabus (like she did!)

Last edited:

Danoz The Great

HSC
snapperhead said:
questions or topic areas?

If a question (how bizare and boring+it violates the syllabus), what is the question/what are the questions?

edit: saw that you are at Port.
Is that the school where Jakob Sorenson (?? I think) is/was the principal? (my niece-Korryn Jacobs class of 02 I think- went there and she had this same problem!)
If so, I would argue that you can pick any topic from the syllabus (like she did!)

there was 4 topic areas - biography, ecology, Visual arts, and Social Justice. from this there were 5 questions.

Biography- we could explain + evaluate the critical issues and motivating forces that influenced the actions and life of either Faith Bandler -OR- B.A. Santamaria

Ecology (my question) - Explain and Evaluate the Christian response to environmental issues (could include pollution, global warming, etc etc)

Visual Arts - explain and evaluate the way religious beliefs and experiences have been expressed through visual arts in one religious tradition in australia

Social Justice - Explain and evaluate the impact on australia of the sisters of charity in relation to social welfare and justice.

ps- how does it violate the syllabus? i'd like to create controversy with my religion teacher when we get back to school. :p
maybe you could argue with me snapperhead???

yeah, Jacob Sorensen (i think that's how you spell it :p) WAS the principal.
he works at the parish admin centre in town now. his daughter's in my grade though i think (well you don't hear of many 'soersensens)...she's smart!!

our principal is now Tim McCosker - aka Tim the Bus Driver. he's weird...REALLY weird.

Last edited:

Danoz The Great

HSC
I'm finding it pretty easy - alot easier to find info for than all the other questions.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think it violates the syllabus because it is a personal interest study project ie. you do what you are interested in, not something that has been predetermined and randomly picked

goan_crazy

HSC
that sux how u guys didnt get 2 choose...
we got 2 choose from all topics
and we had to make our own question
i have my question now so its all good...
thast the hardest part i reckon
getting that stupid focus question

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
social justice isnt a topic area so thats a no-no (and dont let them argue its a school based question cause its not!)
You shouldnt really dictate what students do in the ISP. You can download a copy of the syllabus in word or pdf format or online from www.tristanforsyth.com (check the links) or from the board

From the syllabus (apologies for the long post-important/relevant bits in bold-feel free to argue!!

"HSC Course – Interest Study Project (ISP)
The aim of the Interest Study Project (ISP) is to allow students to apply the knowledge and skills gained from the Depth Studies to other areas of interest.
The ISP gives the student the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills gained in their studies to an area of interest outlined in this section of the syllabus. There are three key dimensions to the ISP.
Firstly, the student is to create a focus question. This question provides the context in which the student does research and it should clearly limit the scope and coverage of the research undertaken. The focus question must be a precise and specific question. The focus question is to be created from the content within ONE of the areas of focus.
Secondly, the ISP diary documents the evolution and refinement of the Focus Question, together with the process details of the study. As students engage in research and investigation all aspects of this are to be recorded in the diary. Diary entries are to reflect the type and scope of the study being undertaken. The diary is to be 600–800 words (or equivalent) in length.
Thirdly, the ISP report. The report addresses the focus question and documents the findings of the study. It gives the student an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills gained in their studies to an area of interest outlined in this section of the syllabus. The students will base their reports on personal research. The report is to be 1000–1200 words (or equivalent) in length.
There are four kinds of interest study.
1. The seven Interest Studies which enable students to investigate the relationship of religious beliefs and experiences to various aspects of human life, society and culture. In these studies, students must draw on at least one of the religious traditions specified in the Depth Studies. Each of the seven areas selected give students the opportunity to look at the specific contribution of religious beliefs and experiences to a religious tradition. Each of these Interest Studies has THREE areas of focus, (A), (B) and (C). The focus question is to be selected from ONE of the areas of focus.
2. There are five Interest Studies which enable students to make a substantial study of a significant Asian, Melanesian or Polynesian religion using the same approach as that specified in the Depth Study of one religious tradition. Each of these Interest Studies has THREE areas of focus. The areas of focus are divided into areas (A), (B) and (C). The focus question is to be selected from ONE of the areas of focus.
3. An Interest Study which enables students to investigate the relationship of religious beliefs to a non-religious belief system.
4. An Interest Study, approved by the school, which will enable students to examine a significant issue that is reflected in the ethos of the school and its community.
All students are to complete ONE ISP.
Studies of Religion I students may choose from any of the Interest Studies.
Studies of Religion II students may choose from any of the Interest Studies, except Religion and Media and Religion and Non-religion.

The ISP will be assessed as part of school-based assessment."

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
ha-ha...Jakobs not working anymore.
He got busted bigtime for plagiarism when he ripped off a mate of mine and tried to sell worksheets based mainly on my friends book (Living Religion) via CD.....You are probably using/will use Jacobs worksheets in SOR! If you do, have a laugh for me!

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I used those CD's! They got me through the HSC because that little blue book was crap for the first topic. It was good for the ethics section though.

Danoz The Great

HSC
snapperhead said:
ha-ha...Jakobs not working anymore.
He got busted bigtime for plagiarism when he ripped off a mate of mine and tried to sell worksheets based mainly on my friends book (Living Religion) via CD.....You are probably using/will use Jacobs worksheets in SOR! If you do, have a laugh for me!

LOL!

The school/diocese/somebody types up booklets for each topic, for both SOR1&2 at my school....
IS THERE ANYBODY HERE IN THE LISMORE DIOCESE THAT USES THESE ALSO?
I'm not sure exactly WHO makes them that's all.

But they've probably been made after he left the school - to save their asses!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dani_danoz said:
LOL!

The school/diocese/somebody types up booklets for each topic, for both SOR1&2 at my school....
IS THERE ANYBODY HERE IN THE LISMORE DIOCESE THAT USES THESE ALSO?
I'm not sure exactly WHO makes them that's all.

But they've probably been made after he left the school - to save their asses!
a lot of people use them (I use bits and pieces). I got the Yr 11 set from my niece and then found out that he was selling them on CD so I 'aquired' all the cd's except for the yr 11 Islam unit which he never sold (got in trouble before it was released). I contacted him to find out about the Islam CD and he said that "costs" had gotten out of hand and it was worth selling the cd's ie he had to pay for ripping off Living religions!

The books Im talking about are set out like a textbook with info and student activities. At the end of each chapter is a bibliography. Each chapter is about 3-20 pages.... see attached file

Danoz The Great

HSC
That's the exact same booklets we use - I've noticed now that they place a bibliography at the end of each lesson/dot point - probably to save their arses lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)