A bit of advice for 2009 HSC D&T Students..... (1 Viewer)

QOTSA07

HSC
I completed D&T and would like to pass on some words of wisdom. D&T can be considered by many as a "bludge" subject, but I assure it is not. The assingments take a long time to complete and it can get harder especially trying to juggle it with all our other subjects. So I recommend;

For the MDP

- Choose a project that you are interested in

- Do not bite off more than you can chew

- Stick with the project, changing half way through is a waste of time & resources and will give you more stress, plus a bigger workload

- Make sure you have the money to pay for the resources and that you have access to all tools, materials & people to help complete it.

- Do not even worry about studying for the HSC for D&T until this assignment has finished, because there should be at least 7 to 10 weeks in between to study.

- Get your teacher to check what you have done at least once a week, this can keep you motivated, help answer some of your questions & give your some tips for improvement which can give you an extra mark here & there!

- Keep well organized doucmentation. This means by writing in your log book as often as possible, even if you do not work on your MDP, state the reason, e.g "I was unable to do my assignment because I got called into work" or "I was unable to work because I was sick" or even "I took the day off because it was my mother/fathers birthday.

- Also with the documentation, keep all receipts in the one place, there is nothing worse then trying to find all of these a couple of days before its due to finish the finance plan.

- Use as big of variety of communication as possible. This includes hand writing, typing, hand drawn sketches, Computer Aided Drawings, photos, videos, audio interviews. Using more will help you reach the higher marks.

- Folio presentation is also very important. I recommend having a draft to keep all your notes and pages in, and about 2-3 days before its due put the proper folio together with all the proper colour and all of the added presentation, this is just in case your foilo accidently gets wet, wrecked or whatever. Even take a day or two off just to get the presentation just right. I did, and was so glad & relieved I did.

- DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT KEEP TELLING YOURSELF "I WILL DO IT LATER OR TOMMOROW" YOU WILL EASILY FALL BEHIND AND HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE KEEPING UP!!!!

QOTSA07

HSC
More advice for the MDP;

- Make sure that your identification of the need and design brief are detailed & thorough. This shows your marker exactly what your project is about, and the longer the it is also shows that there is a real need for what you are making. But DO NOT go making it too long because you might end up repeating yourslef or even contradicting yourself. Maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 a page. These are easy marks!

- With your concept sketches, add P.M.I's to each drawing by stating a Plus about the design, a Minus about it and something interesting. Draw about 10 to 15 concept sketches, and they do not need to be perfect, they are only concept sketches!

- When researching materials, add evaluations to each one, like "this would be a good material to use because it is strong & looks good, even though it is a little bit more expensive" DON'T just describe what the material is!

- Make sure you have included all resources in your Bibliography: Books, websites, people etc...

IF you have any questions I will try to answer them as best as I possibly can, or at least lead you in the right direction!

cocolossil

HSC
my advice.
don't take the subject.
it scales terribly & you have to be very self-motivated

Undomiel

HSC
Thanks QOTSA07 ill take that into account, especially with the folio idea. Much thanks..

and QOTSA is slick :p love there music

r3dn1t3

HSC
QOTSA07 said:
- DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT KEEP TELLING YOURSELF "I WILL DO IT LATER OR TOMMOROW" YOU WILL EASILY FALL BEHIND AND HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE KEEPING UP!!!!
Amen, I said that to myself to talk to a girl I like in the class... I'm 2 weeks behind and part 1 is due next weekish..

Mingsta

HSC
my advice.
don't take the subject.
it scales terribly & you have to be very self-motivated
Hey, if you get 95+ in DT it actually scales up... And its a recommended subject for high standing Uni courses like Architecture. In fact if you get a band 6 in DT u can get 3 bonus points in UNSW for Architecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)