Anybody did just 10 units and didn't stuff up any of ya subjects/UAI? (1 Viewer)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
jus wanna know :
- your opinion on whether to do 10 units or not to future yr12's.
- your UAI/Subjects/marks
- the subejct you dropped

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Me. Although i did only get 87 for SOR, so i guess that could be seen as stuffing it up.

UAI:97.65

Doing 10 units is fine, as long as your confident with all of your units.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i do 11 units... see my sig for the subjects i do...
my worst sub is 2 unit maths -_-"
can that stuff me up completely?
well heres my mark 4 my 1st assessment...48% 17/35 it was really bad!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Just work on it really hard now and get ahead of the rest of your class, because it can and will stuff you up due to the fact that none of the courses you do really scale well.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I stuffed up Business Studies pretty bad, but still managed 96.05.

Lainee

HSC
69^boi said:
jus wanna know :
- your opinion on whether to do 10 units or not to future yr12's.
- your UAI/Subjects/marks
- the subejct you dropped
Definately do not just do 10 units. No matter how confident you are with your abilities in that subject, it is best to have at least 11 units just in case something doesn't work out for you. You won't really notice the added workload if you treat all your subjects equally and tell yourself that 'ALL of my units will count'. The danger is that you end up telling yourself that 'that subject won't count, so I won't bother with it'. Do all your subjects thinking that they'll all count.

I did 11 units, while a friend of mine did 10. She received a very good UAI in the end (98.00+) but she was certain she would've gotten 99.00+ if she hadn't gotten food poisoning the day of the economics exam and spent 20 minutes in the bathroom! :) Her economics mark was her lowest at 84. You can't plan whether unlucky things like that would happen, and you can't really speculate whether or not she would've gotten higher if she had had another 2 units to back her up. But she still regrets having dropped Ext2 Maths and Ext2 English earlier in the year.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I did 10. If I had of done 12 I would of had a breakdown I'm sure of it.

I hardly ever used my free lessons to study, a bit of the tiem i would use to do my major work for ind. tech, but that's what I needed to de-stress, those 6 relaxing frees.

I only stuffed up one exam, which was the 1st english exam and that was because of my nerves, it prolly resulted in me getting a band 4 insted of a band 5.
And the only thing that stopped me from getting a band 5 in maths was my shitty maths teacher, so insted i got a band 4 also.

But yeah, if 12 units gets to much for you, speshlie if you have a major work to do with one of them, drop a unit or two.

If I did 12 units I think I would have done worse in my HSC. I got 78.5 which i think is alright, and i'll get into what i want to do easy.

and also, I dropped chemistry after one term of yr 12 work, my marks where 76 eng, 77 math, 82 pe, 83 bio and 90 industrial tech.

Last edited:

schmackers

HSC
N/A
personally, I agree with Lainee in saying that you shouldn't do 10 units because you never know if you're gonna be sick or have something else unexpected happen to you on the day of your HSC. I was always worried that this would happen to me, so I did 11 units. For me, it was perfect because 12 units is too much and you have the tendency to think "meh.. if i stuff this subject, it doesn't matter- it won't count". With 11 units, it forces you to put effort into every subject as half of it will end up counting, but at the same time, the workload isn't as bad as 12 units (unless of course, you do bloody 4unit maths... argh).

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Yes i got over 90 and i did 10 units , however i wouldnt recommend it ...

its walking on a tightrope , really not worth it , do 12 units

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
I really don't see the big risk, if you can tell in year 11 what your worst subject will be then you might as well not waste your time doing it in year 12.

it worked for me

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
all this "dont do 10u EVER!!!" is rubbish. Of course, you have to some kind of a moron not to realise that a certain level of risk is involved but every person is different and every STUDENT is different.

Last edited:

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
all this "dont do 10u EVER!!!" is rubbish. Of course, you have to some kind of a moron not to realise that a certain level if risk is involved but every person is different and every STUDENT is different.

........exactly

Trev

stix
HSC
im on 13 units atm, and i didnt want a drop a subject coz i was worried bout stuff up a sub (even with 13 units....), but im guna drop to 11 now coz i see ill b able to put more time in - but i would never do 10!

Lainee

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
I did 10. If I had of done 12 I would of had a breakdown I'm sure of it.

I hardly ever used my free lessons to study, a bit of the tiem i would use to do my major work for ind. tech, but that's what I needed to de-stress, those 6 relaxing frees.

I only stuffed up one exam, which was the 1st english exam and that was because of my nerves, it prolly resulted in me getting a band 4 insted of a band 5.
And the only thing that stopped me from getting a band 5 in maths was my shitty maths teacher, so insted i got a band 4 also.

But yeah, if 12 units gets to much for you, speshlie if you have a major work to do with one of them, drop a unit or two.

If I did 12 units I think I would have done worse in my HSC. I got 78.5 which i think is alright, and i'll get into what i want to do easy.

and also, I dropped chemistry after one term of yr 12 work, my marks where 76 eng, 77 math, 82 pe, 83 bio and 90 industrial tech.

Keep in mind, to those that considering taking SweetSeasons' advice, that workloads for different subjects vary considerably. As I said before, I hardly felt the difference between me (11 units) and my friends - some who were doing 13 units and others 10. It's not as though in the middle of the year you start stressing and go 'but I do more units than you!' because as soon as you get into the work you hardly think about it!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Well thats the thing, alot of people regard 10 units as a chacne to have more 'free classes' to fuck around...

Kulazzi

HSC
it depends. If I had kept 12, I would have 3 major works to do which is too much for me and I'm confident that I'll go well in 5 of my subjects, I dropped my weakest subject to concentrate more on ther other 5. If you're a really really organised person and can manage time very well (unlike me! :p ), then ur more likely to go evenly well in all ur subjects

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i did 10 units. i dropped modern history and that was the best thing i did. it relieved some pressure for me. it was way behind my other subjects and there was no way on earth i was going to study for it.

i stuffed chem, bio not as much and stuffed maths. but i still think i was smart in dropping modern

uai is as sig

Marty_dc

Yeah I only did ten units and totally bombed adv maths, but still managed to get an 86.5 UAI.

My marks for each subject were
Economics 82
English Adv 85
Maths Adv 65
Legal Studies 89
PDHPE 89

As long as you have some strong sujects to support the cruddy one its ok, like my english ass mark for the year was only average, but I aced my exam so that brought that mark up, but Legal studies, PDH and Eco definately nullified the cruddiness of maths.

My advice though is don't have the cruddy subject like I did. If I did ancient hist or general maths I would have comfortably received a 90+ UAI. If you need a 90+ UAI for the uni course you want to do then make sure you don't have a dud subject that you suck at.

On the other hand if you want to take the year slightly (and I mean slightly) easy (like me a bit ;) ), ten units is a good option. I must have had at least 5 free periods per week. Some days I could come to school at recess and other days I could leave at the beginning of lunch. You were supposed to study in that extra time though.......

If I did it all again though I would have done an easy subject like general maths (or ancient hist). When the time comes around and you're receiving your marks it's not worth the stress of worrying if you're not going to make it into uni or not.

Cheers
Marty

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
i am going in 2 yr 12 this yr and pplz kept telling me u need safety 2 units... i am doing 10 units...i dropped maths bcoz it was by far my worst subject and i was getting like 50% (mainly coz i hated it and never did any work) and 80-90% in everything else...i think how many units u do is a personal thing...like 4 my keeping maths would be pointless as it wldnt be counted anywats

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It really depends what you class as stuffing up your uai. In 2003 i needed 61.35 to get into the course that i really wanted to do. I got in and i also had a uai of just slightly under 70 which was above all expectations. I did 10 units. gen maths, std english, ees, biology and tourism. But its really a personnal preference and depends on how much you enjoy your subjects and how hard your willing to work for each subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)