Dux of the Year Speech (1 Viewer)

cuivienen

HSC
Well I just got a phone call from my school today, saying that I was 2004's Dux of the year (which was quite unexpected)...

I'm now supposed to create a speech about HSC year, the experience and some positive advice, for the 2005 candidates. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some pointers on what I should include in the speech to make it seem like i'm not wasting people's time.

I was thinking of talking about motivation and setting goals, but I want it to be a bit more memorable...I want the advice to be universal so it can spark some intrigue or interest for the students

Anyone have ideas on what else I should talk about?

Last edited:

cuivienen

HSC
*lol* I'd love to, but the Principal might get worried if I wasn't talking about a "study party" :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Haha thank God i dont have to do one of those. I still have to attend a ceremony in a couple of weeks for all that got over 90 UAI and at the end of the year for the current yr 12 graduation I get my dux award

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
cuivienen said:
Well I just got a phone call from my school today, saying that I was 2004's Dux of the year (which was quite unexpected)...

I'm now supposed to create a speech about HSC year, the experience and some positive advice, for the 2005 candidates. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some pointers on what I should include in the speech to make it seem like i'm not wasting people's time.

I was thinking of talking about motivation and setting goals, but I want it to be a bit more memorable...I want the advice to be universal so it can spark some intrigue or interest for the students

Anyone have ideas on what else I should talk about?

tell them that life is a journey, that techniques = marks, that no matter how many times u read jane austen's "emma" u will never like it and that people who do standard english cant get a band 6... That's inspirational stuff.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
tell them what you did truthfully to get your mark, they might get something out of it. Unlike the DUX last year who went on about not studying and partying every weekend. Great use that speech was to the next HSCer's.

felafel

hmmm . . . well congrats on getting dux of your school - that's no mean feat

i suggest you focus about your own experiences as an HSC student, that is include lots of anecdotes, funny or not - you need to CONNECT with your audience

make it inspirational! but don't tell them what they always hear - that'll surely bore them to hell

Rach*b

HSC
Mmm i had to do one too. I agree don't go on about how you didn't study and how you just fluked it because i hate it when people do that to look cool or something: no one believes them anyway!!
Just say honestly what you did, and how great it feels to be finished and know that you have done your best, and how good it is to get a high UAI because it gives you choice and options. Put some humour in too!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Easiest way to make a speech memorable is to just be real. Speak from personal experience, offer personal anecdote. If I was doing it, I'd sit and talk about what I really did in STUVAC when we went to the library. Or our Modern History study groups where we'd go over at 7, start at 8 because of late-commers, work till 9, talk till 9.30, realise that we havn't done any work, and invent a song to remember the US presidnents during the cold war till 10.

Something like that, but funnier :p, I'm sure everyone has them. the 05ers at your school should know some of the 04ers so put in some stuff about them. They'll get personal jokes because its likely they'll know the people.

If it were me I'd be up there talking about how my idea of what effective study was changed over the course of the year when I realised that what I did at the beginging was NOT effective! Give them a heads up as to what expect, and for the love of god, please tell them to take certain nights off, get plenty of sleep, and to eat right! Its HSC, not the end of the world!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Or our Modern History study groups where we'd go over at 7, start at 8 because of late-commers, work till 9, talk till 9.30, realise that we havn't done any work, and invent a song to remember the US presidnents during the cold war till 10.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sounds like me. Thank god I didn't have to do a speech in Primary school for Dux.

If you go to a public school go on about how great public education is. And then make it funny for the kids in the crowd. Do not go over 4 mins, if you don't want people to get annoyed.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
^^^^...:D...I got the dux award but didn't have to do any speeches....:D..yay...instead they asked a few dummer kids to talk about how they dealt with "THE PRESSURE"....:eek:

agent_angel

HSC
CrashOveride said:
He actually got 98.9
he???? its a he???
anyway 'he' sounds like an absolute egotistical shit. 'dummer kids' pfft... get over urself

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tell them the truth; that you did bugger all work the whole year and just fluked a high UAI.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
previous duxes have talked about there being a light at the end of the tunnel....lol do u people who got 99 die before you finish ur exams or somthing? lol jks
also hear about how much caffeine and chocolate they consume

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)