How much will English affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

bimbo_

HSC
I know that English is compulsory, but how much does it affect your UAI?

For example, if there were 2 people, both doing the same 10 units.
Person A gets band 5-6 in everything except in english- they get a band 3.
Person B also gets band 5-6 in 8 units(including english) and a band 3 in the other 2 units.

Of the two, who will get the higher UAI?

bimbo_

HSC
Is SAM even accurate?

My teacher says SAM is RUBBISH!!!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
bimbo_ said:
Is SAM even accurate?

My teacher says SAM is RUBBISH!!!
sam is just an estimate of your marks for that year (2oo4)

it is no prediction of what uai you'll get ...

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
SAM is rubbish if you use anything except estimates of your aligned marks (which can be guessed from your trial marks). If you put in any of your assessment marks from the start of Year 12 to now you'll get utterly wrong estimates.

English is compulsory, and if you don't do well in it your UAI will be brought down. But then again, that's the case for any of your top ten units - if one is significantly lower than the others, it'll take the whole ship down. In short, if you want to do really, really well, make sure you're doing well across 10 units. One stellar performance and four crap ones does not a good UAI make.

I_F

biggie walls

HSC
SAM is rubbish? you fools... it will work fine for the purpose of comparing different sets of marks!

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
SAM is rubbish if you use anything except estimates of your aligned marks (which can be guessed from your trial marks). If you put in any of your assessment marks from the start of Year 12 to now you'll get utterly wrong estimates.
Is it SAM's fault for being "rubbish" because it doesn't know one's final aligned marks? Or is it "rubbish" simply because it doesn't live up to people's unrealistic expectations?

If you put in numbers, it crunches them and comes up with an estimated UAI based on those numbers. There's nothing "wrong" or "incorrect" about this - it's following a formula which has been proven to be scarily accurate. How similar this estimated UAI is in relation to one's actual UAI is another issue altogether, but of course it's only natural that how "right" it is depends on what marks you put in. Not SAM itself.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Is it SAM's fault for being "rubbish" because it doesn't know one's final aligned marks? Or is it "rubbish" simply because it doesn't live up to people's unrealistic expectations?

If you put in numbers, it crunches them and comes up with an estimated UAI based on those numbers. There's nothing "wrong" or "incorrect" about this - it's following a formula which has been proven to be scarily accurate. How similar this estimated UAI is in relation to one's actual UAI is another issue altogether, but of course it's only natural that how "right" it is depends on what marks you put in. Not SAM itself.
I think he was just trying to make the point that SAM should only be used after receiving your aligned marks, or at least after sitting your trials and final exams. At the moment, the best you can do with SAM is "estimate" what kind of aligned mark you might get, put these estimated numbers into SAM and see what UAI range you're looking at, that's the most you can make use of for now.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
I think he was just trying to make the point that SAM should only be used after receiving your aligned marks, or at least after sitting your trials and final exams. At the moment, the best you can do with SAM is "estimate" what kind of aligned mark you might get, put these estimated numbers into SAM and see what UAI range you're looking at, that's the most you can make use of for now.
Agreeing with WW here. I remember entering in early Yr 12 marks to see what areas really needed more work to get my marks up. I didn't think it was "rubbish". I knew it wouldn't be hugely accurate because my marks weren't aligned - but it could still give me a rough idea.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Sorry - I should have been clearer. I didn't mean to say that it's SAM's fault. I meant that the results it gives would be useless if you didn't use the proper marks. With the proper marks it gives very good estimates.

I_F

bimbo_

HSC
So does anyone know if there was ever someone who got a 95+ UAI but got say a band 4 in English?

I have heard of many people getting a 97-98 UAI with a band 5 in English and only 2 other subjects in band 6 (I assume the rest were band 5). I have also heard of people getting band 6 in everything in except English and they only got a 94-95 UAI. Can anyone explain why this happens?

Number7

HSC
English is without a doubt my worst subject as I learnt English by myself. I seriously don't give myself a chance of getting above 80 in it so SAM predicts that I will need an average of 88 in the rest of my courses in order to get my target UAI of 93.

Sucks to be me =(

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
hence alcohol can affect uai.

moral of the story? instead of grog, get high on caffeine before exams ;)

side effects include jittery writing hands and paranoia but hey .. you only live once

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)