Questionably bad English marking anyone? (1 Viewer)

bemma

HSC
Ok so the Adv Eng class at my school throughout all the assessment this year have just been getting continual low marks...I'm talking the average has been a consistent 50%-55% for AOS, Critical Study and Comparative Study.

Soo my question is are our teachers just unbelievably hard markers, cos it seems pretty unlikely that a whole grade can be doing so spectacularly badly in 3/4 of their coursework, or is a system a few schools have in place to freak their students out so they'll study like hell for HSC??

And if so....WHY????????????????????????? Why would they do that, cos really it just makes me want to forget English and focus on my other subs :/

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
I don't think your teachers can mark THAT hard. Like my religion teacher is a really hard marker, but the lowest he ever gives us prolly 65-60. So I think you guys got around 50%-55% because that's how much you're all actually meant to get.

be honest, are you guys really trying your hardest?

A l

HSC
N/A
Look at how your school performed last year in English to compare.
I guess the teachers are probably marking very hard. The reason for this, is probably because they are fussy in spotting your errors and emphasise greatly on how to correct them. Don't worry, if you do well in the external HSC exams, those marks will be moderated upwards. Besides at my school, they mark even harder than that in English. The average is often around a passing mark (50%) or lower with the highest generally being around 70%.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yeh, as AI said, just try to work your best to get in the top range of marks that are given. that way when they come to calculate your assessment mark and rank it will be fairly aligned considering that your entire grade are all getting these fairly low marks.

its there to help you. in chemistry last year, my teacher marked incredibly hard, she would deduct marks for the slightest of errors, omissions or whatnot... in the end it paid off as we learnt to know what the markers of the HSC were looking for so that we could give it to them for our external assessment. most of us went from getting 60s, 70s, 80s at school, to an overall HSC mark in the high 80s and 90s.

~~*CHELLE*~~

HSC
hey i totally agree my english teachers are also harsh... when we did our half yearlys the top was 70% average about 44% its crazy... i got 68% but i worked my arse off for that... how did you go it english 2 paper i stuffed it... i have a tummy bug and actually went to the bathroom to be sick :( ... i hate hsc

HSC
hey my school marks incredibly hard too. i'm not saying i deserve to get a 90 but for one of my essays i got 7/20 i mean really that sort of mark goes to people who cant write english properly i should have gotten a 12 or 13

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
who cares about your marks, your rank is what matters.
if the marking is consistent it shouldn't matter anyway.

maybe they are just trying to get you to work harder?

bemma

HSC
English Paper 2...well...me and my friends have renamed Harwood Whorewood if that's any indication :p

I think I did well in Emma/Clueless and Frontline probably average but yeah...Harwood. Urgh.

Thank god for Illness/Misadventure for you hey *sympathy*

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
bemma said:
English Paper 2...well...me and my friends have renamed Harwood Whorewood if that's any indication :p

I think I did well in Emma/Clueless and Frontline probably average but yeah...Harwood. Urgh.

Thank god for Illness/Misadventure for you hey *sympathy*
wtf are you talking about.

bemma

HSC
~~*CHELLE*~~ said:
how did you go it english 2 paper i stuffed it... i have a tummy bug and actually went to the bathroom to be sick ... i hate hsc
That would be what I was referring to...did I accidentally reply to you instead?? My bad.

bemma

HSC
haha no worries...yeah I saw it when I was doing my Harwood assess and was like...too good to be true!

<3 that kid from Family Guy....Stuie (sp?)....hilarious :p

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
yeah, but its your marks that give you your rank. I don't think anyone who gets a 50%-55% mark will come first in the class.
ofcourse they can

tigerian

HSC
N/A
bemma said:
Ok so the Adv Eng class at my school throughout all the assessment this year have just been getting continual low marks...I'm talking the average has been a consistent 50%-55% for AOS, Critical Study and Comparative Study.

Soo my question is are our teachers just unbelievably hard markers, cos it seems pretty unlikely that a whole grade can be doing so spectacularly badly in 3/4 of their coursework, or is a system a few schools have in place to freak their students out so they'll study like hell for HSC??

And if so....WHY????????????????????????? Why would they do that, cos really it just makes me want to forget English and focus on my other subs :/
Have you checked your private email. There's a message about this.

gracie007

HSC
If they mark YOU hard, they mark EVERYONE hard. have u checked ur friends' marks? in particular those who are about on the same level with you at english 2u? it also depends on ur ranks, maybe ur rank is pretty decent, in which case they are marking hell hard.

bemma

HSC
gracie007 said:
If they mark YOU hard, they mark EVERYONE hard. have u checked ur friends' marks? in particular those who are about on the same level with you at english 2u?
Yeah I have...we're pretty much at the same level (nines all around for Harwood...out of 20 :eek: ) And it doesn't appear to be that the work's bad because my friend got her tutor, who's a marker for HSC, to look at her essay and he graded it a 12 rather than 9. Which admittedly still isn't fabulous but at least it's a pass and somewhat more encouraging.

It's not so much the fact that they're marking hard, though that is annoying, I'm just wondering why they do it. If it's just to freak us out for HSC then it's having the complete opposite effect on account of the majority the grade is just getting frustrated with consistently low marks.

"Chubby"

HSC
i got 77% for my half yearly's and that was first in class and 4th in the whole standard english year. *worries*

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
bemma said:
It's not so much the fact that they're marking hard, though that is annoying, I'm just wondering why they do it. If it's just to freak us out for HSC then it's having the complete opposite effect on account of the majority the grade is just getting frustrated with consistently low marks.
You should ask your teacher, or even better the head of english :p

and yeah stewie rocks, i'm more of a Peter fan though :D

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
bemma said:
SAME HERE!!!!!!!!!!
Our school is craptastic at English and where they mark so hard, whereas the school is brilliant in Mathematics where they mark so easy. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)