Advanced/Standard English (1 Viewer)

HSC
This year, in Year 11, I've been getting marks of around 50% for most exams in Advanced English (but 14/15 for one assignment). Would it be worth dropping it and picking up Standard? Also, would the workload be noticeably less?

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Did you study really hard? If you did and your getting results like that, and you don't think you could improve even if you had tutoring, drop. What is your rank like? If you rank isn't to bad, then don't drop. I dropped to standard and its really going to effect my UAI.

As for the workload, you still have to study in standard. It's not an incredibly easy course, but in comparison to advanced it is obviously alot easier...as is general math compared to 2U math.

A l

HSC
N/A
chocolate_lover said:
This year, in Year 11, I've been getting marks of around 50% for most exams in Advanced English (but 14/15 for one assignment). Would it be worth dropping it and picking up Standard? Also, would the workload be noticeably less?
It depends on you. Investigate a bit, on what electives and texts your school will take for the HSC for either of the courses and make a comparison. Choose the course that has the texts and electives which best suit your personal liking because that will help you in the long run.
The workload is usually (and should be) dependent on the type of teacher you end up with. The workload is generally less in English (Standard) than English (Advanced) because most teachers place less emphasis on the English (Standard) course.
Both courses do not vary too much in difficulty. It is just the way texts are approached which distinguishes between the two courses. In English (Advanced), the effects of context of the composer and responder of texts are investigated whereas in English (Standard), the effectiveness of language, audience, purpose and context in texts are investigated. Also, don't forget that both English (Advanced) and English (Standard) have a common course content known as the Area of Study. Texts in the Area of Study "should" be approached the same way regardless of the course being taken.

shimmy&shine

HSC
darl, stick with English Advanced. Trust me. I'm not sure of your personal abilities, but its your own choice with how hard you are willing to try.

Beginning of year 11, I averaged 9/15. pretty bad. (with tutoring)
Beginning of year 12, I averaged 14.5/15 pretty good. (with no tutoring)

For some reason, I've toppled down to 12s and 13s :(

but anyways, don't drop. You may even find you enjoy it.

hello_world

HSC
just to give you an idea, last year 3 students in the state got a band 6 in standard, meaning a band 6 is virtually impossible

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
stick with advanced. get tutoring if you feel you're studying really hard and doing badly. but honestly, as hard as advanced might initially be for you, it'll scale better than standard, unless you really bomb out, which i dont think you will. as bittersweet em said, a band six in it is virtually impossible anyway. you'll have a better chance in advanced. and i wouldnt worry about your year 11 marks too much yet, year 12 is a lot better - more understandable, easier concepts (i thought), and if you have good teachers you'll be fine. i dont want to seem harsh by saying this but i honestly think noone does themselves any favours by choosing standard, unless they are honestly, awfully shit at english - and most people actually are not, with a good amount of study.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
do advanced first and get a feel for it
if you think it is too hard, then get some tutoring
if that doesnt help, then i advise you to do standard
75 in standard is a lot better than 60 in advanced

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It seems the overwelling majority agree with what I am going to say. It's best to at least start with Advanced English i.e. do a term or a few weeks - majority of people in my school changed to standard following term 4, AOS.

There has been countless stories of people doing bad in preliminary Advanced English then picking up, studying more and working harder to get the marks in HSC Advanced English. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
And remember, if you cannot stand the almighty heave-ho in Advanced English, drop to English Standard, the workload is a lot less :) ... Thank god I am in Standard English ...

Plus, English Advanced is only for those keen on English such as reading books, understanding terminology (e.g language techniques), able to assess texts much mroe effectively ...

azn_gangsta81 said:
do advanced first and get a feel for it
if you think it is too hard, then get some tutoring
if that doesnt help, then i advise you to do standard
75 in standard is a lot better than 60 in advanced
True, I'd rather achieve band 4 in English Standard than Band 2 in Advanced English

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
So you *can* drop to Standard from Advanced in year 12, right? I thought so, at least early in year 12, but some people have been saying that it's a totally different course and you shouldn't drop and making me start to worry >.o

People doing Standard are doing Physical Journey while Advanced people are doing Imaginative at my school. Would that be of an issue?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
airie said:
So you *can* drop to Standard from Advanced in year 12, right? I thought so, at least early in year 12, but some people have been saying that it's a totally different course and you shouldn't drop and making me start to worry >.o

People doing Standard are doing Physical Journey while Advanced people are doing Imaginative at my school. Would that be of an issue?
You can drop early in year 12 most people that dropped from Advanced to Standard in my school did so at the end of term 4 (AOS - Physical Journeys).

However having Standard and Advanced doing different types of journeys might present a problem. Best to ask your English teacher on what the school would recommend in that situation.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
airie said:

Do it for me, please ? I am sure you are capable of adapting to a different module, i.e Imaginative to Physical Journey ...

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
f3nr15 said:
Do it for me, please ? I am sure you are capable of adapting to a different module, i.e Imaginative to Physical Journey ...
...I probably wouldn't trust my English skills to be up to scratch for that :p I guess I'd better ask...after the exams. Ugh. Still need to finish off physics notes. x.x Actually turned down an offer to share notes from a friend the other day, see, I just can't understand things properly if I didn't make the notes myself, for some reason :S Otherwise I'd probably be more than equipped to survive solely off the resources section...hee...alright, I shall stop daydreaming now and get on with work :p

Gosh I wish I could redo the English yearly :(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
airie said:
...I probably wouldn't trust my English skills to be up to scratch for that :p I guess I'd better ask...after the exams. Ugh. Still need to finish off physics notes. x.x Actually turned down an offer to share notes from a friend the other day, see, I just can't understand things properly if I didn't make the notes myself, for some reason :S Otherwise I'd probably be more than equipped to survive solely off the resources section...hee...alright, I shall stop daydreaming now and get on with work :p

Gosh I wish I could redo the English yearly :(
You are more likely to learn from notes you created yourself ...

And I happened to turn down the offer to upload an IPT powerpoint presentation on Networks for everyone ...

JhK89 said:
stick with advanced dont drop!!!
I don't regret being in English Standard

English Students are given the opportunity to compete with English Advanced students in Paper 1, meaning some may even achieve higher marks than an English Advanced student.

The English Standard Course is not a vigorous and demanding as the English Advanced Course.

Furthermore, a student who dropped from English Advanced to English Standard this year came equal 1st in our last English Standard Asessment, ultimately giving her an upper hand in competition with English Standard students.

Last edited:

bboyelement

HSC
all my friends in standard regret dropping down so dont do it... the reason is that the teacher is crap because all the good teachers are chosen to teach advanced and the students are 'dumbasses' ... since english is compulsory, people that want to do year 12 but dont care about going to uni will most likely be in standard than advanced so they will bludge and will bring your mark down a lot even if you try really hard ... along with that you will sit in class where ppl dont want to learn ... you should be around positive ppl that want to learn attitude so you will be influenced by them ...

vorahk

HSC
^^ thanks, now i have the will to go on in Advanced and not drop to Standard.

all your comments and recommendations have been clear and useful, thank you guys ^^

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
don't forget ur uni course u wanna do.

if english advanced is pre-requisite (or however u spell it), don't drop it.
it'll save u a lot of headache later on. I didn't drop advanced .. i was going shit house at the start of the year .. thought it was like yr 11 english and thought i could wing it.

at the beginning of the year, i got 7/15's .. 7/20's .. etc.
but .. i started to knuckle it down and raised it to 14/20's .. etc etc.

so if ur prepared to do some work for it .. keep it.
i regret not putting much work in at the beginnin of the year .. but i didn't really knw how to do essays then so yeah. . -__-''

never learnt how to do essays before this year due to crap english teachers and i kinda regret it. =/

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I know everyone is saying "do advanced"...my friend continued doing advanced and is failing...she has a tutor...she is coming last. Try it if you are allowed to drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)