Motivation tips for ENGLISH (1 Viewer)

kaychou

HSC
hi, i know there are some threads with a bunch of motivational tips to study in general, but english is a completely different thing.
its much harder to sit down to, and setting goals is hard too because u cant just write an essay just like that, and if u take breaks writing one u'll lose ur chain of thought...

so, who has some tips on how to motivate urself to study english? cause i always give up when it comes to english study

bored6

HSC
kaychou said:
hi, i know there are some threads with a bunch of motivational tips to study in general, but english is a completely different thing.
its much harder to sit down to, and setting goals is hard too because u cant just write an essay just like that, and if u take breaks writing one u'll lose ur chain of thought...

so, who has some tips on how to motivate urself to study english? cause i always give up when it comes to english study
Therein lies your problem. Just really force yourself to complete an essay / writing task in one sitting of 50 mins. You'll eventually notice a marked difference in the quality of your writing.

Pushing yourself consistantly seems to work for me.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i love english :D
what i do is i plan my essay then i go through my notes and select relevant points
i then write out my notes under appropriate headings like i pick 2-3 key themes eg for king lear - existentialism, feminist ideas and how these link to a certain act scene etc.
then i number them and shove them all together into one big essay.
it takes a bit of time but its worth it and then you have great notes to refer back to later!
hope this helps

Beege

HSC
I wrote a few practices essays for the last assessment and I only got 60%, not sure about rank. Is 60% raw a good mark for standard or is like 70%?

N

noir.

70% obv :p

Its hard to do well in standard, so getting a band 4 is pretty good. But you dont want that, you want a band 5!

redom

HSC
ahh stick with it? no matter how painstakingly boring/difficult it can get, (or how much u'd rather do maths)...i dont know why im trying to give advice, i really need it myself too:(!....goodluck!

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
why is it hard to get band 4 in standard?
eeew why would you rather do maths *shudder*
and i don't think you can drop english lol

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
perhaps...
write out essay structure plans first..
[in one go..]
and then
elaborate on each point/or two..
then break..
[that way its not too much time, and u dont loose too much train of thought.]

i dont quite agree with writing multiple 50min essays under exam conditions..
not at least until you have a prototype essay...

it'd be more benficial spending 3hrs writing and planning one essay, than writing multiple essays, ebcause it would ensure that u woudlnt forget anything etc...

i don'tagree that we should completely memorize essays, but i do think that its possible/advisable for the current syllabus.
they can only really ask u a couple of things.. [ie, what is the composer saying, and thru what technques..]

its better to have a plan, a logical flow..

writing essays helps as rather than spend time in the essay attempting to articulate urself eloquently, you have certain phrases etc already in ur head...

then..
once u have this..
start doing some practice essaysunder exam conditions.

ellirene

HSC
guys!

your forgetting the fun way of studying.
and YES there IS a fun way of studying!

make main points in your essay and then cut them out seperatley on peices of paper with each theme on them.

put them into a hat and draw them out.

and you play charades!

trust me it seriously works!

you remmeber all the hands on practical stuff soo good.

and like you know how charades starts off as either: movie/book/tv show?, all you have to do is use these but replace them with a theme.

eg:

i pick a point out of the hat and it says:

"Alcoholism can be seen in the novel, the simple gift through Buddys desire to overrule his life with the substance, and even lyes to his girlfriend about it"

[by the way that quote was made up just then hahah]

Beege

HSC
So a raw mark of 60% in the hsc exam would only get aligned to 60%?. That's fucked.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
English, you're right, is an entirely different ball game. But if you can structure an essay well, you can pretty much structure anything. Don't forget about the creative writing.
What you need to do is not look at English as a whole, but look at it in seperate sections so it seems like it's less~
When you finally get down to the last topic, you'll be glad.

Ways of doing categorising~
- Colour code sections of your study book / work book so you know what belongs with what ~ colours are fun and in a way they make things less boring and arduous.
- Perhaps do specific symbols to what piece of information fits where
- Draw cartoons (if you're artsy) or fold paper so you have an easier job finding things

Ways of studying~
- Put your info together darn sarnit.
- There isn't much of a way around this except practising your essays. My advice is to hand in essays early in the term because the bulk of students will be handing theirs in later in the term, that way you are able to develop your writing skills so writing in an exam should come automatically.
- Write out dot points, or mind maps~
What I like to do is use scrapbooks, because they are so versatile. I draw mindmaps and arrows everywhere, by putting one topic in the middle of the page, just to formulate ideas. Then get out your practice questions and start !

For a topic like journeys, be sure to gather all your relevant texts and put them together, that way you'll find it much easier to do comparisons and textual analysis, however boring that may sound =)

My favourite topic has been journeys, because I find it so easy to relate to everything that we do in our lives, and let's face it, the HSC IS a journey. (best you don't write about that in the creative section though) ;p
Just remember, relating things back to mankind is easy... and apparently extremely insightful.

DON'T FORGET::
- Before you study, stock up on some srs. candy / lollies / snakes (ooohyeah) so you don't feel tempted to go find food~
- Set your time limits, when things should be done by and stick to them
- Listening to calm music sometimes helps when you write creative pieces, or practice them (you need to develop your own style)
- For creative pieces: CONSTRUCT A CHARACTER. This is important as you are then able to put yourself in that person's shoes... Wait, I have a sheet for you if you would like to do this... it's attached. - By constructing a character, come exam time, you will know this person back to front, you just need to open that part of you who knows them. Make their life believable, don't make it absurd. Often using a random photo of someone you can picture helps (Google hehe), stick it on the page and make something up. This is a really fun thing to do, so don't go crazy, just make one character you really enjoy that you know - their hardships, lifestyle, age, gender, name, personality. You can always mould it to the piece you are responding to later, but it's good to have a basis. Then you avoid writing as yourself or as an angst-driven teenager.

- Just do eet.

Break down things, sort them out (mix it with your hobbies - as ellirene said, if charades works for you, why the hell not? origami? art? drawing? colours? symbols? ) , take time out for the subject (don't look at it so simply) , work through ideas, concepts and question things you don't understand.

GOOD LUCK~~!!!!

Last edited:
HSC
Beege said:
So a raw mark of 60% in the hsc exam would only get aligned to 60%?. That's fucked.
Taken out of context (i.e. the way I read it), that post is incredibly funny.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
TDjie said:
Then you avoid writing as yourself or as an angst-driven teenager.
Imagine being a marker and having to read large amounts of those types of stories. It's like a 12 year old telling you much they hate their lives because their mother didn't let them stay up past 9 PM.

On the topic, I sometimes read my texts out loud with an English accent just to make it a bit easier go through and remember. It obviously won't work for everyone because not everyone has a fancy for English accents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)