Compulsory English (1 Viewer)

yeoldejeremy

HSC
I feel so helpless. I feel I can't make a difference to future generations. Are we doomed to all be subject to this cruel and unusual form of punishment. Countless individuals have killed themselves over this and I think it is time to put an end to this suffering. What can I do?

Beege

HSC
Re: Compolsory English

Lets organise a petition and get everyone to sign it then post it to the board of studies. Death to english, the UAI killer!

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC

Suffering? Cruel and unusual punishment?

Exaggeration much??

beentherdunthat

HSC

ERM people, believe me suffering doesn't come close to the fact that I've done the English course TWICE ...

m0ofin

HSC
N/A

yeoldejeremy said:
I feel so helpless. I feel I can't make a difference to future generations. Are we doomed to all be subject to this cruel and unusual form of punishment. Countless individuals have killed themselves over this and I think it is time to put an end to this suffering. What can I do?
Learn to adapt, like it's with anything else really.

If this is suffering, try reading up on the world around us and then make out as if English is punishment. The conflict in Darfur for example is a perfect case of helplessness and powerlessness.

But of course, you're only being melodramatic, as most 08'ers are. It's okay, it's only another year to go my friend. Keep plugging away and you'll be fine.

yeoldejeremy

HSC
You people are so humourless. Yes, I did spell one word wrong, so the hell what? You're not all using capitals when it is appropriate. English is guaranteed to kill my UAI, so I think it's silly that if I don't do well in English then I may not get into university and I'll be poor all my life. Why should something so pointless as this be so pivotal to my future? Enjoy your Extension English.

electrofatness

HSC

But what if I actually like english?...it's really not that bad, but does seem to be a subject that polarises people

over9k

HSC

we need it to fuck over the international students and people who do EXTREMELY well in math+science but not so much in eng :)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad

English is the Devil reincarnate. The Devil I tell you!!! :)

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
yeoldejeremy said:
You people are so humourless. Yes, I did spell one word wrong, so the hell what? You're not all using capitals when it is appropriate. English is guaranteed to kill my UAI, so I think it's silly that if I don't do well in English then I may not get into university and I'll be poor all my life. Why should something so pointless as this be so pivotal to my future? Enjoy your Extension English.
We're all too busy with our Extension English to find any text of lesser measure at all humourous, I'm afraid. /sarcasm

Why should something so pointless as English be so pivotal to your future? It isn't. The UAI, as many will tell you, is not the only way to uni, there are other entry schemes such as transfers, flexible entries and all.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
quit whining.

english is the one thing bringing me down as well and i'm actually doing my hsc THIS year.

you have hell of a long time to improve.
if you think it'll screw up your UAI then yea, sit back, dont do the work, and let it.

or else try a little harder :)

plus there actually is a reason they include a compulsory 2units of english in the course, because before they did....universities were getting people with genius UAIs who, when they got to uni, couldn't write a report/essay for jack because they got their uai on maths and science ;)

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC

over9k said:
we need it to fuck over the international students and people who do EXTREMELY well in math+science but not so much in eng :)
Lol, that's me, minus the international bit and the extremely well bit XD

zaqwerty

HSC
I'm also not the biggest fan of English but I think its worth it in that it teaches you to think below the surface.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
-pari- said:
quit whining.

english is the one thing bringing me down as well and i'm actually doing my hsc THIS year.
Ditto.

In Singapore they have a campaign called "Speak Good English". I absolutely love it. :rofl:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Compulsory English actually gives me a shot at not failing at life..
Honestly, how can i compete with all these freaky international students/physics&chem minded kids...

English balances us out...
and we do kinda live in Australia.. ;)

This entry point thing at unsw [ie the distribution of bonus points to studentswho do chem/phys/math ext 1&2 so that they can gain entrance to certain courses] sort of defeats the purpose of having English to balance out the scales.. largely because if ones UAI was affected by their lack of english ability [or rather, inability to perform in Board of studies definition of 'English'] they can just make up that difference through the bonus points..

Though it doesnt worry me too much... i don't particularly plan on doing anything maths/science related.. :p

HSC
As much as I don't like English, I feel that it wouldn't be as bad if it involved things that we would actually use in everyday life.

Things such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. rather than poetry or essay writing.

Meh, just my opinion. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)