English and UAI (1 Viewer)

Dural... DO NOT CALL IT THE STICKS!! I DON'T OWN S
HSC
Considering that English is the only subject which will definately count towrds your UAI (which I feel is quite stupid) if you dont do so well with english, like I am right now (i do adv english), but do fairly well with all your other subjects (I do 3u maths, chem, bio, italian continuers), will your english mark seriously drag your possible UAI down?
I really need to know coz I'm stressing about it pretty badly..

Anybody else in the same boat as me?

HSC
there is an element of truth to it... if you don't go great in it it can have a negative effect on your uai, but its just like any other subject, if you don't go well its going to bring your uai slightly down anyway.

my advice. treat english like you would any other subject...don't neglect it, put your best efforts into it...if you don't go so well, try not to stress too much its only two units. :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
SquirrelsRabbit said:
Considering that English is the only subject which will definately count towrds your UAI (which I feel is quite stupid) if you dont do so well with english, like I am right now (i do adv english), but do fairly well with all your other subjects (I do 3u maths, chem, bio, italian continuers), will your english mark seriously drag your possible UAI down?
I really need to know coz I'm stressing about it pretty badly..

Anybody else in the same boat as me?
yep.
english adv is probably my worst subject , followed by ext eng.
i used to like ext eng , until i did so crap in the half yearlies i lost motivation.
but yeah ... i`m kinda scared it`ll drag my UAI down a lot too , cos i`m not doing as badly in other subjects.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
A friend of mine did really well in everything except English, which he was very, very bad at. I remember he got about 48/50 for Ext 1 Maths and equally well for 4u Maths. His UAI turned out good but he wasn't particularly happy, I think it was about 89.45 or something along those lines. So, I guess, English does play a large role.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
pinkly said:
A friend of mine did really well in everything except English, which he was very, very bad at. I remember he got about 48/50 for Ext 1 Maths and equally well for 4u Maths. His UAI turned out good but he wasn't particularly happy, I think it was about 89.45 or something along those lines. So, I guess, English does play a large role.
Holy crap! Ok, now I'm worried.

xxJTxx

HSC
as your english teacher should have told you...english does play a huge role in your uai.

i dont think you can say its like any other subject, because with how the scaling works out in eng (either adv or standard, with such huuuuuge candidatures), you would be foolish to fall in the mean for either adv or standard.

a guy last yr, band six in all of his subjects except adv eng. he ended up with a 99.45...if he had gotten band six in adv, i dnt think it would be unrealistic to say he coulda gotten 99.85. go play with SAM, and you shall see...just varying your english mark by a few marks left/right has a huge effect.

but dont get scared. seriously. english is simple, when you break it down to the bare bones and realise that markers just want to hear your ideas, with some good concrete linkage. :)

el gwapo

HSC
Sad Statue said:
I love English.

I hate the subjective marking.
Of course it'd be much easier if we were subjected to questions such as "Billy threw the ball, he threw it to John"

Question 1
(a) Who does "he" refer to?
(b) Who does "it" refer to

That's the study of language for you

Sad Statue

Banned
HSC
el gwapo said:
Of course it'd be much easier if we were subjected to questions such as "Billy threw the ball, he threw it to John"

Question 1
(a) Who does "he" refer to?
(b) Who does "it" refer to

That's the study of language for you
That's totally Year 10 though. I just wish there was an objective way to mark those hard fought essays.

Sweety pie12

HSC
wow IM now scared
i just keep wondering how we're meant to memorise three essays for one day
& the marking system too i mean if the marker doesnt agree with what you're saying you arent exactly going to do well are you so is there a way to win

Sad Statue

Banned
HSC
Sweety pie12 said:
wow IM now scared
i just keep wondering how we're meant to memorise three essays for one day
& the marking system too i mean if the marker doesnt agree with what you're saying you arent exactly going to do well are you so is there a way to win
That's why you back up what you are saying with cold, hard evidence that cannot be disputed.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
im over essays.
writing a 6 page pro-as essay in 40 minutes isn't as easy as some would think it is...
I wonder how we'll all pull ii off? :(

Adrenaline perhaps?

Beege

HSC
English is a joke. They should make business studies the compulsory subject. It is actually far more useful.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Sad Statue said:
Red Bull.
lmao my friend said red bull doesnt work for her , so she uses something else ?
"Mother" or something LOL.
iono , i havent tried it xD ; but it stinks !

williamc

HSC
Practice. 6 HSC booklet pages in 40 minutes isnt' much at all..

A booklet (8 pages) of my average size writing is 1000 words. Thats only 25 words a minute... easily do-able..

Sad Statue

Banned
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
lmao my friend said red bull doesnt work for her , so she uses something else ?
"Mother" or something LOL.
iono , i havent tried it xD ; but it stinks !
Mother is the sex.

I haven't met an energy drink that I don't like yet.

Dural... DO NOT CALL IT THE STICKS!! I DON'T OWN S
HSC
ok now I'm REALLY worried....
did my english trials monday and wednesday.. my problem is the 2nd paper... but I'm working on it..
and I STILL dont know how I'm gonna even manage to write 3 4-page essays in 2 hours.. let alone 5-6 pages... I'm struggling to get to 4 pages even...
gah...
I'm pretty much band 5-6 in every other subject.. even 3u maths.. so blah!

I just wish english was easier....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)