Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 73
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

  1. #26
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    10

    Essay, essay

    I find it easier to write essay if u actually plan it first before going straight into it. I would first write down all the key points that i would want to put down first. Then i would plan my paragraphs. It would look something like: first paragraph: (key point) quotes, techniques. 2nd paragraph: (key point) quotes, technique etc. That way the essay would just flow when you get down to it. Also, link every paragraph using words such as: Also shown in, On the other hand, In contrast to, According to, In support as etc. My english teacher taught me that and it has helped me alot. I went from getting 15/20 for my essay to 20/20. oh and remember, they're really big on techniques so metion a few of them in your essay.

  2. #27
    Member scoby_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    SCECGS Redlands
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    10
    i was taught

    topic sentence. Quote. Technique. Effect. Comparison. Conclusion


    TQTECC
    Doing well is a state of mind. Just do it.







    Quote Originally Posted by transcendent
    i just saw a pic of that chick. she's hot. i wish she'd rape me when i was 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    No you don't, you can't wish for rape.

  3. #28
    Cadet mstanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lismore
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    10
    Here's what I've been taught. Might help to clear a few things up for those having trouble.

    -Topic sentence (what you're speaking of in this paragraph)
    -Discussion (elaborate on the topic sentence)
    -How (showing proof of what you are talking about. eg. "This is shown through the use of alliteration" etc.)
    -Quote from the text (further proof)
    -Link (a sentence linking back to your topic sentence.

    I hope that helps....
    "If we are only good because we fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed " - Albert Einstein

    Proud Supporter of P.A.J.

  4. #29
    Di_Angelo
    Guest
    If you want to check out the scaling of subjects you can go to the official Board of Studies website and look it up...I don't think it scales you down. It may not scale you up too high but definitely not down.

    Um as for a band 6 essay, I use the P.E.E.L technique. As in peel an apple:

    * Point - What is the point of the paragraph you're going to write (i.e subject but don't babble on)

    * Explanation - Discussion of your point, what is being compared or contrasted

    * Example - techniques, how is your point shown, quotes

    * Link - link back to the question (THIS IS A MUST according to my teacher lol)

    However, bear in mind your EEs must be elaborate. You really have to describe your point and give EXAMPLES of how it is shown, give quotes and techniques. You have to VERIFY what your point is.

    And remember - you can't expect to get exceptional marks if your paragraphs are 5 lines. Make them at the least 8-9 and not in huge writing!

    You should also have linking words at the beginning of each paragraph such as "like, similarly, contrastingly, as opposed to" when comparing texts.

    I hope this is helpful! Just remember.....PEEL PEEL PEEL PEEL PEEL AN APPLE JUST PEEL!!

  5. #30
    New Member beautiful bethy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Lavington (...Jindy really)
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    these are notes i got in class examiners responses etc, i'll try and write it brief:

    ~ There is no 'correct' formula in terms of response structure

    ~Markers expect a sense of balance between texts in your response

    ~40-60% of u'r essay (or whatever) should be your prescribed texts

    ~Related texts are often the most compelling for markers to read

    ~if the question asks for at least one text, one text is absolutley fine, three is too
    many. They want you to show your understanding and go into u'r texts with a bit of focus and depth. NB. nothing will stop u from getting full marks if u only use one text.

    ~Make links between texts eg direct comparison/contrast

    ~AVOID:
    Simplistic links - Frost's journey in not a hard one but Molly's is
    Superficial links - both Coleridge and Tan imagine the journey
    Repetitive links - they tend to take away from what you are saying




    thats about all i've got for the moment, hope it is of some interest : )
    byes

  6. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Bumtown
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    Difference between evidence and example:

    Evidence: How does it relate to the point - talk about what actually happens in the text that relates to the question/point. For eg: You're talking about journeys and how ppl learn through them: After talking to Mark, Jane realised that her daydream was a psychological manifestation of her deepest thoughts.

    Example: The technique and quote needed to support it. Eg: This is shown through the close up on Jane's surprised face as she says, 'I think I know why I'm daydreaming about going back to germany!'

  7. #32
    Junior Member Jessica_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Komaticom
    STAR system for each paragraph of your body:

    S- statement
    T- textual evidence
    A- analysis
    R- resolution

    STARS AND SEX... what more can you want!!! hahaha :rofl:

    JUST REMEMBER:

    S=state your point,
    E=example with a quotation from text,
    X=x'plain, refer back to question, justify its inclusion..


    STAR system for each paragraph of your body:

    S- statement
    T- textual evidence
    A- analysis
    R- resolution

  8. #33
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Essay, essay

    A good one to follow is WAPTEEL

    W - What (key point/thesis)
    A - Audience (How does the audience relate)
    P - Purpose (what is the purpose)
    T - Technique
    E - Example or Evidence
    E - EFFECT (What and why)
    L - Link (to the next key idea)

  9. #34
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Essay, essay

    lol, WAPTEEL. How the fuck do people come up with these things?
    That's unnassepable. :mad1:

  10. #35
    .p.c
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    SYTHESIS helps i guess....its easier than people make it sound. For your notes draw a BIG mindmap linking all your major points and memorise the BIG picture and stick the quotes up your wall too so you can familiarise yourself with them, you should memorise quotes that have the most versatility as opposed to one quote per - point.

    Promote yourself to make your own opinion. Do you like or dislike a text?. then question why is it that you like or dislike a text? the authors expression? his/her themetic concerns? the medium of expression? and how could this be imporved. This particularly helps with personal responses and it canget you going and writng with a flow.

    When writing essays on context, sythesise using values and attitudes. Link all your major points through the values of the two periods e.g discuss how money is important in Taming of the Shrew i.e. how it delivers status, then link this the Ten things...then link money to power to masculinity to femininity to family dynamics, and you can comment on each text as you go.

    (sorry about the shoddy examples....im still in yr 11...so i havent done any yr 12 texts lol..this is just what i remember for my prelim.)

    hope that helps....sounds like a lot of crap...

    gl all

  11. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by hannahxxx
    Yeah I agree with the "answer the question" thing-it's amazing how many people don't do it.
    You link the question to your paragraph topic at BEGINNING of every paragraph.
    If you're comparing two texts, after you've finished comparing them in relation to a point link BACK to the q in a sentence of summation.

    Oh and some teachers *rolls eyes* tell you not to "memorize essays" but they need a reality check. To write 8+ pages in 40 minutes you pretty much need to have memorized the whole thing and be able to quote it off the top of your head. I guess they say this cause some kids don't link back to the q.

    You must realize that actually sitting down and WRITING a band six essay takes time( my essays took me ages). Keep taking it back to the teacher until they get annoyed with you.

    Oh and handwriting- getting good at this something I never managed but it's an art in itself.
    Writing an essay before hand gets you locked into the question, and when you go in, it is very hard to get straight to work on it. I tried that for year 11 half yearly, and it took me a few minutes to get my head around the new question. Ended up with 13/15, but still...

    Better to know your stuff and in relation to the syllabus, or be naturally good at it.
    Aiming for 80+ UAI.

  12. #37
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kogarah, NSW
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    My Teacher always says T.E.E:

    Technique used
    Example of the Technique
    Explain the Technique


    Tom

  13. #38
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    parra
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    I go ruse and get good essay marks in exams by just... getting my teacher to mark a practice essay, and then editing it and gettin remark until its perfect, then memorize it word for word. likE eVERY single word loL. this way Your essay will have good style flair, stick out, since you cant write excellent structure in the pathetic time slot they give us for exams. getting used to modifying it to answer the question is the only other step. its quite easy- the english syllabus is so broad haha so i jsut ...add a few scentences onto the end of my memorized essay so that its answering the question. the...fullmarks =]

  14. #39
    BIT Student @ UTS TheBressman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Liverpool, Sydney
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Wow, sounds like an interesting concept. And this technique works for all questions ? I have had HSC marking teachers say that those who memorise another question's essay usually get lower marks.
    Currently Studying: Bachelor of Information Technology Co-Operative Scholarship @ UTS (First year completed)

    HSC Completed:
    Premier's Award Winner 2007

    2007:
    Agriculture - 95 (Band 6)
    Business Studies - 94 (Band 6)
    Chemistry - 91 (Band 6)
    English Advanced - 87 (Band 5)
    Mathematics Advanced - 90 (Band 6)
    Mathematics Extension One - 45 (Band E4)

    2005:
    Information Processes and Technology - 91 (Band 6)


    UAI: 97.45

  15. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    When I was studying english, I made a list of the different types of questions u can get - the topics are so broad that there's usually not too many - eg, for physical journeys u can get a question on direction, consequences, attitudes or challenges, that sort of thing. and then work out which texts u would use to answer each type of question. if u know ur texts really well u should have a couple of points that u always make about each text...

    Then practise heaps of essays in time limits and get ur teachers to mark them!

  16. #41
    i am number -e^i*pi tommykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    "This is what I think"
    "This is why I think it"
    "See I told you so!"

    But I gotta say, the most important thing is ALWAYS (I mean ALWAYS) assume the marker has READ your text. Analyse, NEVER recount. It doesn't matter if they've read it or not, assume they have and just point out which bits in the text relate to the question.
    B Civ. Eng. (Structural) III @ UNSW

  17. #42
    Member morganforrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    If you want to mention a mad technique to make you sound that little bit more cluey...try anthropomorphism...don't know what that is....bit like personification, it's giving animals human traits. Used in Wind in the Willows, ie Toad representing the middle class view of journeying is highlighted through the use of anthropomorphism.

    Lol...i <3 technique dumping...(but don't do it if you want a band 6...or do it cleverlerly like me )

  18. #43
    New Member v.i.v.i.e.n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Heard of TEEEL??? probably not but...
    My awesome english taught us...
    T - Topic Sentence
    E - Expand
    E - Example
    E - ??? Something I can't remember
    L - Link

    Something along the lines of that I think, can't quite remember but works like a charm for me

    I also suggest buliding up your vocabulary and using your language techniques... & know your text well (or the main parts at least... I make summaries and work in alot of quotes... just keep going over them and you should get a better overall sense of things plus, i find that in doing so, things begin to stick alot more)

    just make sure it makes sense and stick to the same tense

    dont waffle on too much (as I am doing now) and have a fair few good quotes in mind

    always make you intro a good one and most importantly, address the question... if your conclusion isnt all that qualitative, don't stress, it doesnt really matter... most people's conclusions are usually rushed cuz its at the very end when they're outta time and the markers are more lenient for that reason when it comes to the conclusion
    just something nice and brief that sums it up

    practice writing 'under pressure'... give yourself a set time, try to write an increasing amount each time

    just write away - then just get your teacher to mark your work and get feedback

    hope this helped

  19. #44
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Make Sure U Always Relate Back To The Stimulus Statement Or Question After Every
    Paragraph
    Last edited by jessica16390; 11 Aug 2007 at 10:41 PM.
    • happi daiz

  20. #45
    Member Seza16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere in NSW
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    8

    Lightbulb Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    By writing a Band 6 Essay you need to add to your writing the TEE technique. By choosing the technique, using an example and evaluating on why the technique was used. Use quotes that you know.

  21. #46
    Member rusty91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    At our school, our teacher told us the T Technique which is quick and succint.

    T - Technique
    E - Example
    E - Effect

    It's applied on how to write and identify key language and visual techniques. The use of TEE can be written no less than 4 to 5 sentences which make writing inparagaphs in the HSC so much easier.

  22. #47
    Exalted Member Aplus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,408
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsingh
    Now from the title of this thread, most of you must be saying to yourself, "WOW, WHAT AN IDIOT?"

    Well, I've never been TOO great at writing essays, however I'm not a complete illiterate either.
    I do ADVANCED English and my essays are just OK - JUST.

    Can you guys please give me advice on how to write BAND 6 essays?

    This would be greatly appreciated, not only by me, but by all Advanced English students.

    Thanks in advance.
    Basically you need a strong structure in your essays. Start of with a strong introduction and opening statement, which both display your thesis statement and/or opinion, if any. Briefly outline what you're going to be saying in the essay and then move on. Allow about three to four paragraphs explaining the topic.

    Each paragraph begins with a concise topic sentence outlining the idea you will discuss. You will then prove your point with examples, quotes, dates etc. and further explain how these examples and quotes relate to the point which you are making. It is important in this to have a strongly grounded vocabulary and be able to use language to achieve an immensely controlled, structured and flexible piece of text. [Note: Do not start using big words just because you think the marker will think you are intelligent. Using the wrong words in the wrong contexts will only make you look more stupid]

    Now, we move on to the conclusion. The conclusion summarises the points you have made regarding the text, and reiterates the thesis statement. Make sure you highlight and illuminate what we have learnt from the discussion with relevant references to the above paragraphs. Start by re-stating your main points using different phrasing from the introduction. Move from specific statements to more general observations - don't introduce new material. End with a statement regarding the consequences of your discussion - what have we learnt and why is it valuable.

    Basically that is good template to follow if you want to create a well structured essay. Remember, although the structure has been set out, you do not need to follow it. With practise and experience, you will be able to manipulate the character of the language, play around with the text and create sophisticated and complex essays.

    I hope this helps, and good luck. I know I'm not doing Adv. English at the moment but I'm starting Ext. 1 next year.

  23. #48
    Executive Member jellybelly59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    where there is pho and sugar cane drinks
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aplus
    Basically you need a strong structure in your essays. Start of with a strong introduction and opening statement, which both display your thesis statement and/or opinion, if any. Briefly outline what you're going to be saying in the essay and then move on. Allow about three to four paragraphs explaining the topic.

    Each paragraph begins with a concise topic sentence outlining the idea you will discuss. You will then prove your point with examples, quotes, dates etc. and further explain how these examples and quotes relate to the point which you are making. It is important in this to have a strongly grounded vocabulary and be able to use language to achieve an immensely controlled, structured and flexible piece of text. [Note: Do not start using big words just because you think the marker will think you are intelligent. Using the wrong words in the wrong contexts will only make you look more stupid]

    Now, we move on to the conclusion. The conclusion summarises the points you have made regarding the text, and reiterates the thesis statement. Make sure you highlight and illuminate what we have learnt from the discussion with relevant references to the above paragraphs. Start by re-stating your main points using different phrasing from the introduction. Move from specific statements to more general observations - don't introduce new material. End with a statement regarding the consequences of your discussion - what have we learnt and why is it valuable.

    Basically that is good template to follow if you want to create a well structured essay. Remember, although the structure has been set out, you do not need to follow it. With practise and experience, you will be able to manipulate the character of the language, play around with the text and create sophisticated and complex essays.

    I hope this helps, and good luck. I know I'm not doing Adv. English at the moment but I'm starting Ext. 1 next year.
    lol i was looking at the length of ur reply and wondering if that was going to be an essay itself hahahaha u must write band 6 essays urself

  24. #49
    Executive Member jellybelly59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    where there is pho and sugar cane drinks
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Right.... "quality not quantity"......... i think thats a load of crap u should have both! how much do u write for an essay in a 2 hr period?

  25. #50
    New Member be-LIE-ve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    8

    Thumbs up Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mishka
    - - underline the key words in the question/statement and make sure you know what the question is asking.


    That is a really good point. My English teacher tells us that it is a common mistake that a student will - rather than answering what is asked - write what they know. Writing what you nkow is not answering the question. You need to make sure there is a way you can say what you know, and then follow with "Because.." to relate it to the question itself. If you can't find a link between what you want to say, and relevance to the question, its not the right material.
    // You Are The Dreamer & We Are The Dream...



    HSC: Advanced English / Advanced Maths / Chemistry / Ancient History / Geography / Extension History

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •