Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 73 of 73
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

  1. #51
    New Member bmxgurl25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In my room =D
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    8

    Wink Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Identify
    Support with examples
    Explain

    ISE to pass the HSC

    Good Luck

  2. #52
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    lols everyone has different ones..

    i learnt mine as:

    Orientation
    Idea
    Feature
    Examples
    Effect
    I'm a PAINTER

    HSC 2009: 2U DT | 3U ENGLISH | 3U MATHEMATICS | 2U VISUAL ARTS

    Artist : Jean-Honore Fragonard
    Designer : Vivienne Westwood
    ----------------

    Physicists think the world is made of atoms,
    Biologists think the world is made of cells,
    Musicians think the world is made of vibrations,
    Painters think the world is made of lights,
    and Authors think the world is made of stories.

  3. #53
    Reborn lyounamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,039
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to writing. However, I know that I have improved my marks from some of the tips my teachers & friends gave me.

    Followings are my tips (don't have to follow):
    1. Use synonyms (don't use the same word over and over again).
    2. Use relevant words (there is difference between the word 'abdicate' and 'abdandon'). Know the context of each word.
    3. Structure you essay. No one likes essay that is not structured. Have clear introduction, body and conclusion.
    4. Know your text. That includes quotes and techniques used in the text.
    5. Explain the quotes and techniques.
    6. Starting paragraph with a 'big word' is a good idea. However, the starting sentence should be your thesis statement.
    7. Following the thesis statement, provide explanation.
    8. Following explanation, give quotes & techniques that can be used as 'evidences'.
    9. Make sure your essay is grammatically correct.
    10. Never make spelling mistakes. Many people lose marks from this.
    Ah.... I am running out of tips. I will put up more if I can think of more.

  4. #54
    jay son em el
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Depending on the course you do: speech, prose, poem, acedemic essay, fictional essay, neutral essay, report essay and some others.

    And i agree, 15+ sounds like a lot

  5. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    My one - The Three E's

    Explain (Topic sentence)
    Expand (More info on it, techniques)
    Evidence (Quotes, examples, etc.)
    *NINE*EIGHT***EIGHT*ZERO*

    B Commerce - Actuarial Studies + B Applied Finance @ Macquarie University

  6. #56
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    This is a tip from my bro who aced the HSC last year.

    paraphrased for easy understanding] vomit out rubric as much as possible, define module and don't use "beat the HSC" methods...i.e. the people who copy and paste from this site lol[yeah I'm one of them:P]. He says to make it sound as natural as possible as if u want to do the english exam and incorporate current events some how.....

    and he also said teahers give bad advice[my school at least]
    It worked for him.
    Last edited by Absolutezero; 14 Dec 2012 at 12:00 AM.

  7. #57
    Azzzz
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    OK! writing band 6 essays... where do i start. there is SO much you have to work on to get those top marks in english im sorry to say but 3 key aspects that'll boost your marks significantly:
    -know your topic ie dont just read and write whats required! to get those top marks you're gonna have to show external information to show you're knowledgeable in that area e.g. adding quotes from Carl Jung in Imaginative journeys etc.
    -be succint! if you write whats required in fewer lines and it doesn't detract from your argument thats is AWESOME! because it leaves you time to incorporate creativity, plan your argument and even leave time for other questions in the exam
    -integrate: i know its a bitch, but its ho that rakes in the 'money', figuratively speaking ofcourse usually i do this theme by theme... but yeah, if you CANT do it for whatever reason and have to do text 1, text 2, text 3.. etc make sure you throw in heaps of links... especially at the start of each new text e.g. "Similarly this concept is demonstrated in *****, further consolidating the aspects of *****" etc

    goodluck, i know i'll need it! trials soon :S

  8. #58
    Junior Member want2beasenior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    SEXY??? I learned STEEL and for me, it is the easiest and the most fool-proof method:

    Statement State the question/notion with which you are answering
    Technique Then demonstrate knowledge of a technique in given text which supports this (eg. narrative voice, symbolism, hyperbole, juxtaposition, euphemism...)
    Example Here you insert a quote or a short description of a scene which demonstrates use of technique
    Effect This is where the marks are. Anyone can list the topic and give a quote. A band six student whould be capable of explaining what the effect of this in relation of the topic.
    Link Most people forget to link paragraph, but it instills a nice sense of flow and rhythm

    I've never heard of SEXY before, but maybe that's just me...
    Year 12: 2010
    English Extension 2
    English Extension 1
    English Advanced
    Visual Arts
    Modern History
    Economics
    Studies of Religion 1

    ATAR AIM: 99.95 for USYD 2011

  9. #59
    Nicola1616
    Guest

    Red face Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by senso
    what if you dont have 'flair'?
    I think 'flair' is a fairly elusive thing and I wouldn't stive for it if it doesn't come naturally to you cause I think then you can end up with some clumsy phrases that don't make sense. I know it's cruel that some people seem to have a way with words and others ... well ... have not way. BUt anyway I think 'CLARITY' cannot be rated too highly. I think a good way to start to prepare something is to do it in pre-school language first.

    So, as some introductory thoughts, you go. "King Lear is heaps broad. There is heaps of stuff in it. Its themes are very contemporary in many ways. A director can't hope to do it all. Most choose an aspect that is important and bring that out in a big way. Different people in different contexts will want to 'bring out' different bits" .... blah blah

    Then when you are happy that you have some clear introductory ideas (I'm not saying that that's what I've written - but) try to write them out in a slightly more sophisticated manner. As you go, use thesaurus.com to collect a list of words that will amp up your work, eg 'broad' give you:

    expansive, extensive, sweeping, comprehensive, deep, vast, rich ...

    and 'rich' gives you: fecund, fertile, powerful, potent.

    THink of simple adjective for the main character, 'mean' 'nice' and do the same.

    Clarity and originality of thought - flair is the cherry and you may find if you strive for the other two, you will develop your own flair.

    techniques, techniques techniques blah blah that's a given.

  10. #60
    Executive Member danz90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,474
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by cam.t
    what do people mean by 'integration' & to making a good essay?
    I think what they mean by 'integration' is, that the various criteria or 'tickable points' in a response should be fluently woven together with a sophisticated use of language. An A-range response features a sophisticated use of language - so this is how I perceive 'integration'. i.e. Topic Sentence, Context, Quote/Ref, Language, Discussion (+ other criteria for certain modules) must be included - but it is the way u integrate these aspects of your paragraph and use sophisticated language to shape a logical response, is what distinguishes a band 6 from perhaps a band 5 response.

    That's my two cents.
    B.Pharm. III


  11. #61
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Anyone possibly heard of ID-EG-FX?

    Our English teacher has drummed into us from day one: "ID-EG-FX". If you break that down it basically means:

    1. ID - (IDENTIFY)
    Identify the Technique, textual feature, etc.

    2. EG (EXAMPLE)
    Support your knowledge and show the markers that you know what you are talking about by providing an example or evidence from the text, such as a quote or brief description of a scene which takes place.

    3. FX (EFFECT)
    After providing example(s) explain the effect that this has, not only on the text itself but on the audience or responder.

    ID-EG-FX is pretty much the same principle as all these other acronyms. The structure's just a bit different. You have to always remember too to link whatever you say back to the question. The markers will mark higher if they can see that you are able to do that. Hope this helps some of you guys. Wish all of you the very best for your exams!!!

    BTW: I'm first in Advanced English so let me know if you need any help. =)
    Last edited by mo2ar7; 14 Oct 2008 at 12:34 PM.

  12. #62
    New Member jonosup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    my english teacher has recommended the idea of triple T double E
    Theme
    Topic
    Technique
    Example
    Effect

    Works Brilliantly.

  13. #63
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Quote Originally Posted by danz90
    I think what they mean by 'integration' is, that the various criteria or 'tickable points' in a response should be fluently woven together with a sophisticated use of language. An A-range response features a sophisticated use of language - so this is how I perceive 'integration'. i.e. Topic Sentence, Context, Quote/Ref, Language, Discussion (+ other criteria for certain modules) must be included - but it is the way u integrate these aspects of your paragraph and use sophisticated language to shape a logical response, is what distinguishes a band 6 from perhaps a band 5 response.

    That's my two cents.
    We learnt in year 11 that it was basically combining two texts into the one paragraph, when they are about the same idea/concept.

    For example, instead of 1 paragraph on topic 1 and 1 on topic 2, there would still be 2 paragraphs, however both would have stuff from topic 1 and topic 2.

    The amount of each you put in can vary.

  14. #64
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    my history teacher told us TEER:

    T - topic sentence
    E - expand topic sentence and explain
    E - evidence of your point (given in topic sentence)
    R - relate back to question

    I've used it for all my essays and it works great!

  15. #65
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    ok i have this amazing tutor, this is what she said:

    an essay is: AN ARGUMENT YOU WANT TO WIN

    INTRO:
    1. restate the question + 1 or 2 other sentances/syllabus terms
    2. introduce the texts
    3. techniques are used
    4. relate back to Q.

    BODY 1
    1. topic sentance
    2. technique --> quote --> analysis
    3. one more snetance of analysis
    4. (repeat steps 2 + 3)
    5. (repest steps 2 +3)
    6. relate back to the Q

    BODY 2 (do the same)

    BODY 3 (do the same)

    BODY 4 (do the same)

    CONCLUSION
    1. 2/3 sentances about belonging/question
    2. sum up each text
    3. RELATE BACK TO THE QUESITON

    hope this helps

  16. #66
    Cadet inedible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    In the Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    I know we should relate back to the question, but how is the question. Repeating "and through Othello's jealousy and rage, Shakespeare demonstrates the nature of humanity" three times gets old real fast.

    My English teacher also said for your concluding sentence in the paragraph you can either introduce the next paragraph's idea or relate back. So how do you introduce the next paragraph's point and how often should you do it?
    ATAR Aim 96+

    Ext 2 Maths ---- English Adv ---- Chemistry ---- Economics

  17. #67
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    P- Point
    E- Example
    E- Effect
    L- Link


  18. #68
    Cadet Leviathan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Know your text, know your concepts, know your characters, know your themes, know your author, know the style, know your context.

    Unpack the question and plan for roughly 5 minutes.

    Answer the question.
    Show your in-depth knowledge of the conceptual framework.
    Sound half-literate.
    Be concise.
    Answer the question.
    Sexy[er] intro/conclusion helps.

    Edit at the end to ensure you haven't written some bullcrap about what you ate for dinner. Also ensure that it is logical/easy to follow.

    I was never good at following that PEEL crap or fixated structures. I think I'm retarded.

    Intro - Answer the question. State the argument you are taking through a strong thesis. Introduce texts. Outline exploration of key concepts/themes.

    Body - Introduce key theme/concept which you will explore. Sentence on context, introduce point, evidence from text, technique, the effect of the technique -> how this interlinks with your key concept for this body -> how this concept interlinks with the question.

    Repeat.

    Conclusion - Tell the marker how right you are. End in sexiness with some sort of pretentious ideological reference.
    Last edited by Leviathan96; 21 Aug 2012 at 9:16 PM.

  19. #69
    Everything for the Lord timeslowsdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Honestly answering the question, to me, is 90% of the marks. Obviously this involves pertinent analysis etc with techniques, but if you regurgitate an essay that you don't link to the question, then you can only achieve a band 5 no matter how good that essay is (or lower). So when you're in the exam (especially reading time) - THINK about how the question is telling you to do. Make a brief plan (only take a few minutes) - even if the question is hard, think about all the ways your text relates to it. That's my advice.

  20. #70
    New Member thejamesc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

    Band 5 =

    Techniques + Evidence
    otherwise known as "boring b's"

    Band 6=

    Band 5 + Sustained thesis with what the bored of studies terms "flair"
    Last edited by thejamesc; 20 Oct 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: none

  21. #71
    real human bean Absolutezero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,100
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Amstudy View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having huge paragraphs. Extremely long ones that go on for about 2 or 3 pages frequent academic resources, etc. You can argue that it makes it harder to read or absorb, but as long as the point of the paragraph stays focused and clear, it's not much of a deal.
    That theory just doesn't hold up at HSC level though.

  22. #72
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,448
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    Quote Originally Posted by Absolutezero View Post
    That theory just doesn't hold up at HSC level though.
    I would agree with this point-you simply don't have enough time in an exam to write up such enormous paragraphs, besides, having to write such enormous paragraphs would indicate that you haven't develop the essay writing skills to answer the question in a succinct and coherent manner.

  23. #73
    New Member ifyoudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

    I find PEER the most suitable for my writing style.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •