Standard English Band 6 (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
any one get one this year, i assume there were some.
i just havent seen any on here this year, although i have seen quite a few band 5's.

just curious, in a SE 08'r.

cheers, and congrats on the great results.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Shitloads more people got band 6 in English Standard this year compared to last year...

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Oh wow, really?

Hahah, I've been on the lookout for people who have achieved a Band 6 in Standard English on here as well, but no luck so far.
Merely looking for motivation, or security as some might call it :eek:.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Faytle said:
Oh wow, really?

Hahah, I've been on the lookout for people who have achieved a Band 6 in Standard English on here as well, but no luck so far.
Merely looking for motivation, or security as some might call it :eek:.
thats exactly what i'm after.
cause although i assume there would be more this year, i havent seen any of yet, any achievers should post.

:)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
if ur hoping for band 6 in standard why not do advanced ?

most people in my school who were expecting a band 6 in standard didnt get it, though could have easily pulled a band 5 in advanced

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
blakegman said:

most people in my school who were expecting a band 6 in standard didnt get it, though could have easily pulled a band 5 in advanced
yeah i didnt relise at the time, how it all worked.
and i have an excellent standard teacher, as opposed to the advanced teachers who arnt so good.
my teacher has faith in me to get a band 5.
so yeah, i do regret standard, but i also pay serious sport so that comes first.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
risole91 said:
yeah i didnt relise at the time, how it all worked.
and i have an excellent standard teacher, as opposed to the advanced teachers who arnt so good.
my teacher has faith in me to get a band 5.
so yeah, i do regret standard, but i also pay serious sport so that comes first.
Same situation here (excluding the 'serious sport' bit!). My teacher is actually on rotation with another teacher where they take turns in teaching English Extension 2 from year to year; I got lucky and wounded up with her as my Standard teacher :eek:.

noir said:
I think there were around 20. look on bos.
I can't seem to find the link anywhere. If anyone could please post it up if they've got their hands on it, that'd be great :).

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure I read that 8 people got a band 6, but I'm not sure whether that's right or not. It was either from a news article or the UAC website which has all the data about percentage of band 6s and stuff.

EDIT

Ignore me, that statistic was from last year.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
blakegman said:

I've had someone say I should have done Advanced but I know for sure:

1. I received a low Band 4 in the English School Certificate.
2. I don't have a large vocabulary.
3. My expression is sometimes awkward in responses.
4. I'd rather overtake most of the Standard people (which I did) than come at the bottom of the Advanced class in my school.
5. I kind of disliked English but then I had to be aggressive in my performance at times.

I pulled off a Band 5. :D :D :D :D :D

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Forbidden. said:

4. I'd rather overtake most of the Standard people (which I did) than come at the bottom of the Advanced class in my school.
5. I kind of disliked English but then I had to be aggressive in my performance at times.

see, theres my inspiration.
your my inspiration lol.
but im the same with 1 3 4 5.

:)

Ellie999

HSC
yep, getting band 5 in standard english is not difficult (even i managed to get it and im esl), but band 6 is really hard to get :(

paul0509ster

HSC
hi.
firstly, anyone who cares about getting good results shouldn't even think of doing standard english...heres my story below:

I returned to AUS at the beginning of year 11 after four years in an Asian country (yep, I missed all of yr 7 to yr 10). Since I had lived in AUS before (throughout primary school), I couldn't do ESL english; I had to do Standard. So throughout year 11, I worked hard at English, which I thought was extremely difficult. I was ranked 5 in my year at the end of the preliminary course. However, by that time, I felt that the canditure in standard was not of a high standard, and that my hsc marks would be pulled down. At the beginning of year 12, I transferred to Advanced English (a very time-consuming and cumbersome procedure...i wouldn't recommend it, so start year 11 with Advanced). In the end, I got a band six HSC in Advanced English. It was well worth the effort, since I would only have expected at best a band 5 in Standard.

paul0509ster

HSC
Forbidden. said:

hi.
firstly, anyone who cares about getting good results shouldn't even think of doing standard english...heres my story below:

I returned to AUS at the beginning of year 11 after four years in an Asian country (yep, I missed all of yr 7 to yr 10). Since I had lived in AUS before (throughout primary school), I couldn't do ESL english; I had to do Standard. So throughout year 11, I worked hard at English, which I thought was extremely difficult. I was ranked 5 in my year at the end of the preliminary course. However, by that time, I felt that the canditure in standard was not of a high standard, and that my hsc marks would be pulled down. At the beginning of year 12, I transferred to Advanced English (a very time-consuming and cumbersome procedure...i wouldn't recommend it, so start year 11 with Advanced). In the end, I got a band six HSC in Advanced English. It was well worth the effort, since I would only have expected at best a band 5 in Standard.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
risole91 said:
i just havent seen any on here this year,
:rolleyes:
o.bi.sess:​
English Standard | Mathematics Ext II | Chemistry | Physics | Information Processes and Technology

| UAI: 99.4 (Take that, Standard English!)|

*not sure if she did, but I'm pretty sure I can assume she did. Great work o.bi.sess!;):D:cool:

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
English Standard | Mathematics Ext II | Chemistry | Physics | Information Processes and Technology

*not sure if she did, but I'm pretty sure I can assume she did. Great work o.bi.sess!;):D:cool:

Holy shit! I come to post and I find this *points above* waiting for me. Staaaaaaaalker. ;)

And yes, I did get a band 6 for Standard English, I am NOT lying. If you want, I'll even scan my UAC letter thing with my marks for you to see (please say that you don't want to see 'cause that's a lot of hassle just to prove that I'm not lying).

Also, my friend (who ranked second last year), also got a band 6 and her UAI is 99. So... *shrugs* it is possible. Apparently 23 people in the state got band 6 this year.

<rant>

paul0509ster said:
hi.

One: I am so sick of hearing people slam Standard English when compared to Advanced. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a band 6 to get a great UAI, alright? I know plenty of people who got lower UAIs than me and did Advanced English, English Ext I and English Ext II. So stop saying that Standard English will get you nowhere because that is just plain and utter bullshit. More than half the people in the state do Standard and you cannot honestly say that more than half the people in the state are dropkicks with no future in front of them. The road goes two ways buddy: you can get a great UAI with Standard English and you can also completely fuck yourself over with Advanced.

Two: by the work and effort you put into Advanced to improve yourself, I do not see why you couldn't have possibly achieved a band 6 in Standard. I know it's hard and perceived to be impossible, but band 6's in Standard English is not the be all and end all. Tons of girls at my school have gotten 98+ UAIs with a band 5 in Standard. As long as you achieve a band 5 scaling will not adversely affect you. Anything above 85 is just plain fantastic. At the end of the day, a band 6 in Standard means a hell of a lot more than a band 5 in Advanced (so it is, in fact, better to be very well in Standard than just average in Advanced).

I respect and understand your decisions to choose Advanced over Standard, I really do. But please do not make generalised statements about how if people "care about getting good results shouldn't even think of doing standard english" because that is just wrong. Your story is just that: it's your story, not other people's. It can not and does not apply to everyone in the same position as you were. Besides, that's hardly fair to the people who can't handle the levels of English required for Advanced. Believe it or not, there is a reason why Advanced English is named Advanced.

Standard English will not disadvantage anyone if they work hard at it, just like with any other subject. Advanced English will only go so far in terms of scaling. People tend to forget that you need to be better at English in Advanced than in Standard. The courses are not the same. I am not picking on you or singling you out or whatever, but Jesus Christ! I am just so frustrated hearing people bag out Standard as if only dumbfucks do it or that it completely and utterly destroys whatever chance you may have at a good UAI.

So I am only going to say this once more: A 100 UAI is possible with any combination of subjects including Standard English so stop saying that Standard English will ruin your life, because it will not.

</rant>

Edit: Sorry, meant Band 6 in Standard trumps Band 5 in Advanced, not Band 6.

Last edited:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Does anyone have an estimate or example, that shows the effect of english standard instead of english advanced on a UAI? I know different marks account for drops/gains. My dilemma is that doubtful of my ability at the end of year 10 and unaware of school certiificate mark i chose english standard. i got a school certificate mark of 93 and thought the same as many i.e i'd rather go really really well in english standard than average in english advanced. Until now and reading replys on this thread, i didnt realise how hard it was to get a band 5/6 and wasnt told of the possible implications on my UAI.

So if anyone could help make some sence for me it would be much appreciated. i just want to know the value of the two subects in comparison and e.g, for instance on a mark of 85

Btw i want a 95+(achievable but now confused), other subjects: maths adv, maths ext.1, physics, chemistry, PDhPE

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Alright, I'm going to give this explanation thingy about scaling a shot, even though I do not fully understand it (nor will I pretend to fully understand) the complicated scaling process that both BoS and UAC put the marks through. I had it quickly explained to me once and I'll write down the gist of what I remember:

The above image is from the scaling thing released on the 20th of December and shows how each subject was scaled for the 07 HSC. Alright, when you say a mark of 85, I am assuming that you mean a HSC mark of 85 and not a raw mark of 85.

Divide 85 by two to get mark/unit (as 85 is the mark for the two units of English) and you get roughly 42. That is the HSC mark you look for in the table. For English Standard a HSC mark of 42 will give you a scaled mark of 37.5. For Advanced, 42.5 will get you a scaled mark of 37.7. That's almost the same. So scaling from HSC marks doesn't differ that much from Standard to Advanced. Which means that an 85 in Standard and Advanced will count the same towards your UAI.

However, you need a higher raw mark in Standard (compared to Advanced) to gain the same scaled HSC mark of 85.

If I am wrong, please tell me because that's the way I was told that the scaling thing worked.

EDIT: Btw Faytle, what school do you go to? The situation with the 4U English teacher and Standard English class sounds awfully like the situation we had at our school last year.

Last edited:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
thank you for taking the time to write that explanation. its confusing in english i think. And a massive congrats for your band 6!!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
the marks of the students...are placed on the same scale...distribution so that a Band 6 awarded to a Standard course student is equivalent to a Band 6 awarded to an Advanced course student
checks will be conducted to ensure that if Standard and Advanced course students are awarded the same marks then their performances are of the same standard
k.
Source: ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON STAGE 6 ENGLISH

dr baby beanie said:

Hey baby, I'm sure she she's Band 6 material no doubt from what I've seen ! ;)

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Hey baby, I'm sure she she's Band 6 material no doubt from what I've seen ! ;)
Aw, you're a doll. :) :eek:

For those interested, I can scan the BoS certificate thing that shows the spread of marks for English Standard so you can roughly see how many people in the state got what mark for Standard in 07.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)