Question regarding related materials for english (1 Viewer)

WannaBang?

HSC
For the past week or so, my english teacher has repeatedly told me not to use resources which have been commonly used in past years because it paints a picture of you as lazy and someone who cannot be bothered to do their own work. Do you think that is true, or is my teacher full of shit?

Zero Infinite

HSC
Yes. Try to go for something a little bit obscure, but with enough depth to discuss in detail. It takes effort to find stuff like that, but you have plenty of time to look before the HSC.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
My teacher told us it was better to do something you're familiar with, and do it well, then finding something obscure and not being able to find as good resources on it?
Obviously I have no idea myself, but that was her advice, and she's been an HSC marker for a number of years, I believe.
So I guess as long as you do it well, maybe it doesn't matter over much?

Zero Infinite

HSC
It depends what kind of mark you want. If you produce a quality essay with obscure texts rather than well-known texts, you are more likely to do better because it is refreshing, and it is less likely to be criticised (as it isn't well-known). Trust me. It's worth searching carefully for your related texts.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Obscure materials tend to equate to sophisticated ones, whether HSC markers consciously realise this or not. But Zero Infinite is correcto - don't go using the texts (or even the SORTS of texts) that most people use. Try to choose a sophisticated (i.e. more MATURE) text.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
your teacher is correct, and the same idea applies for ext students using ext texts studied in y11 in y12 adv, but i'm doing it anyway ^-^.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
live.fast said:
Obscure materials tend to equate to sophisticated ones, whether HSC markers consciously realise this or not. But Zero Infinite is correcto - don't go using the texts (or even the SORTS of texts) that most people use. Try to choose a sophisticated (i.e. more MATURE) text.
I like this.

For dialogue, i was thinking of using a scene from entourage.
But i'm unsure as it would seem sophisticated.
Obviously it would be of a less crude nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)