Maximum Weighting of the English Trial (1 Viewer)

Just.Snaz

HSC
Is there one?

I do Advanced English and we haven't been able to finish the entire course, that is, the last module Frontline. We were meant to have an assessment task for this module worth 15% but because we've run out of time, they have added the weighting to our trial paper, which was originally worth 30%.

So now our trial paper is worth 45%. Our frontline essay is 20 marks and, because of this, its worth 20% when it was originally only 5%. Hence, 1 mark = 1% of our school assessment mark.

Anyways, are they allowed to do this? Is there a maximum weighting for our trials?

Thanks in advance.

Yamiyo

HSC
No, according to the syllabus, the maximum weighting that can come from examinations is 30%.

karnage

HSC
Is that 30% limit only for english?

My maths one was 40%.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Yamiyo said:
No, according to the syllabus, the maximum weighting that can come from examinations is 30%.
My maths is 45 :|

Yamiyo

HSC
Sorry, I meant JUST for English.

"Examinations such as class tests, term tests and trials must not exceed 30% of the assessment program."

runnable

HSC
30% seems too little IMO, same for other subjects.

We write 6 essay length answers and the total mark we get is only = two assessments, each asking for something like a speech or an essay.

HSC
paper 1 + paper 2 = 20%

my biggest weighting for English was aos which had 3 parts and was worth 30% all together.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Yamiyo said:
Well my English tutor just left and she said the same thing. Do I inquire? and if yes, how? I don't want to make a big fuss but this is really unfair.. Any one of us could be sick on the day and not perform as good whilst people in other schools wouldn't have had such a large % of their assessment mark relying on one performance.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Get the fuck over it.

My english exam is 20%, paper 1 being 5% and paper 2 being 15%

i've done 3 * 15% assessments on modules a,b,c and only 20% on AOS.

You can't change it, grow up and just deal with it.

Just.Snaz

HSC
tommykins said:
Get the fuck over it.

My english exam is 20%, paper 1 being 5% and paper 2 being 15%

i've done 3 * 15% assessments on modules a,b,c and only 20% on AOS.

You can't change it, grow up and just deal with it.
Excuse me?

So what if your english exam is 20%? You're assessment weightings are spread out - mine are not. This is basically what I'm inquiring about.

And if you read my question correctly, which I don't think you did, seeing as it seems you didn't get the first part right, then you would notice that I was asking whether or not I should inquire. I was hoping for the pros and cons of such a weighting when all I could see was cons, that is, it being unfair for someone who couldn't perform to their maximum potential on the day.

And anyway, there was no need to be rude.

Cerry

HSC
We've been told that no more than 30% of your internal assessment mark can come from tasks set under examination conditions. And our teacher has been really careful about abiding by that rule, despite the fact that it means that we don't get as much practise in exam conditions as she'd like.
I'm pretty sure that what they're doing is against some BOS regulation, so you're totally within your rights to complain until they do something about it.

HSC
is your school seperating the trial paper tho? so say
ur trial is worth 45%
one of the essay is worth 20%, that essay is classified as another assessment?

if not i think you should ask about it :)

good luck

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Excuse me?

So what if your english exam is 20%? You're assessment weightings are spread out - mine are not. This is basically what I'm inquiring about.

And if you read my question correctly, which I don't think you did, seeing as it seems you didn't get the first part right, then you would notice that I was asking whether or not I should inquire. I was hoping for the pros and cons of such a weighting when all I could see was cons, that is, it being unfair for someone who couldn't perform to their maximum potential on the day.

And anyway, there was no need to be rude.
Although it may disadvantage you, it might be an advantage to someone else. It's impossible to please everyone in the school with these issues. And think about it, you get more practice with doing as part of your trials and it means you wont have to do it later, when it will be even more stressful.

Just.Snaz

HSC
honeyissweet25 said:
is your school seperating the trial paper tho? so say
ur trial is worth 45%
one of the essay is worth 20%, that essay is classified as another assessment?

if not i think you should ask about it :)

good luck
nah, they give us paper 1 and paper 2 like the HSC, except in paper 2, our frontline essay was worth 5% and now it's worth 20%

seano77 said:
Although it may disadvantage you, it might be an advantage to someone else. It's impossible to please everyone in the school with these issues. And think about it, you get more practice with doing as part of your trials and it means you wont have to do it later, when it will be even more stressful.
I don't really see it as a disadvantage to me but to everyone. We still haven't even finished learning what we need for Frontline in our trials, which is next friday..

It is an advantage that I don't have to do it later, but I'd rather do it later with a bit more knowledge about it, than now with nothing.

I guess I'll just work extra hard on that essay to take advantage of the situation

Thanks for your replies :)

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
wow 45%!!!

my half yearly was worth 30%
and trials 25%

good luck =]

Allan vB

HSC
I feel for you, 45% is really bad... My English trial is worth 30% - We've had lots of assessments already worth 10% and 15% so hopefully they will make up for my disaster that is to come from the trial next week, sigh...

It's worse from English Extension, we've had two assessments already worth 20% each and the trial is worth 60%! The teacher gets around it on a technicality becuase it's 30/50 for the internal assessment mark, grr.

Death to the HSC!

bao28

HSC
i crammed the fuck out for english, to find out its worth 15% on my double day exam

meaning i didnt study for engineering, which is worth 35%, haha fucking pwnt!

:chainsaw:

Zippora

HSC
runnable said:
30% seems too little IMO, same for other subjects.

We write 6 essay length answers and the total mark we get is only = two assessments, each asking for something like a speech or an essay.
nah because ifyou think about it, the external exam is already worth 50 % of the whole thing so if there is heaps of weighting on examination style assessments in school aswell then there is no variety and students that dont perform at their best in examinations have no opportunity to do their best. it just evens out the playing field.

mine was 15%, and that was just the module exam.. paper one didnt even count

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)