Will my English ranking boost my overall assessment mark? (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

HSC
hello.

after the trials, i tried to calculate what my overall assessment mark would be for English Standard by adding the % of all my assessment results + the % of my trial result. I have come to the conclusion of getting 80 - 81.

the thing is though, I'am ranked 1st out 78 people. I was just wondering, because of my high rank, is there is any possibility that the board might 'scale up' the 80 - 81 (which i predict) above 81?

Because I was thinking, if me (the top student) only gets 80-81 as an overall assessment mark, then the rest of the year (students below my rank) will be stuffed and get considerably lower marks.

Confused. =/

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Road Runner said:
hello.

after the trials, i tried to calculate what my overall assessment mark would be for English Standard by adding the % of all my assessment results + the % of my trial result. I have come to the conclusion of getting 80 - 81.

the thing is though, I'am ranked 1st out 78 people. I was just wondering, because of my high rank, is there is any possibility that the board might 'scale up' the 80 - 81 (which i predict) above 81?

Because I was thinking, if me (the top student) only gets 80-81 as an overall assessment mark, then the rest of the year (students below my rank) will be stuffed and get considerably lower marks.

Confused. =/
If you're first, your external mark becomes your internal mark.

Meaning if you get 89 external, you will get 89 internal and thus your final HSC mark is 89.

tau281290

HSC
What if the rank 1 stuffs up in the external due to some unfortunate factors, then the whole grade would drop......

Poad

HSC
I think tommy worded that a bit wrong.

If you're ranked first internally, you get the highest external mark (whether it be yours or not) as your internal mark + whatever you got in the externals as your HSC mark.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Poad said:
I think tommy worded that a bit wrong.

If you're ranked first internally, you get the highest external mark (whether it be yours or not) as your internal mark + whatever you got in the externals as your HSC mark.
Yeah actually I did word it wrong, I have a tendency to assume the person coming first internally usually comes first externally anyhow :p

Thanks for clearing that up.

ccc123

HSC
tau281290 said:
What if the rank 1 stuffs up in the external due to some unfortunate factors, then the whole grade would drop......
No. You get your own exam mark.

Therefore, final HSC mark = your own exam mark + moderated internal mark.

For example, if you are rank 1 and:

-You stuffed up with an exam mark of 77

and

-the highest exam mark in your cohort is 92

Your HSC mark=

(77+92) divided by 2

84.5 (85).

Road Runner

HSC
oh okay.

I was also wondering, what happens to the students who are ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc?

Replies with some examples would be good (i understand more when theres examples).

thanks,

T

Troy2287

Road Runner said:
oh okay.

I was also wondering, what happens to the students who are ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc?

Replies with some examples would be good (i understand more when theres examples).

thanks,
Ok well say if you are 1st and score 77 in HSC (stuff up), as said above, you will be allocated the top external mark as your internal mark, and you keep your own external mark...so top mark might be 90. As above, you will be given (90+77)/2 = 83.5 = 84 (rounded up).

Now say that the person ranked 2nd got an external mark of 87 (about where they should be) but the 2nd highest mark was infact 89, then they would be allocated the 2nd highest exam mark for their internal mark...which is 89. So their mark would look like this: (89+87)/2 = 88.

Now if the 3rd ranked person was the one who scored the 90, again, that is their own external mark, but they are allocated the 3rd highest external mark as their internal mark. The 3rd highest being 87...so their mark looks like: (87+90)/2 = 88.5 = 89 (Rounded).

The 4th person may have scored the 62 in the exam and will be allocated the 4th highest external mark as their internal mark. 4th highest being 77 (from the 1st ranked person). So this person looks like: (77+62)/2 = 69.5 = 70 (Rounded).

I hope you enjoy trying to understand that mess :)

Tidied up a bit:

1st rank: 77 exam mark (external), allocated 90 assessment mark (internal - scored by 3rd rank). Aligned mark: 84.

2nd rank: 87 exam mark, allocated 89 assessment mark (scored by 7th ranked person). Aligned mark: 88.

3rd rank: 90 exam mark, allocated 87 assessment mark (scored by the 2nd ranked person). Aligned mark: 89.

4th rank: 62 exam mark (yeah, this guy sucks lols!), allocated 77 assessment mark (scored by 1st rank). Algined mark: 70.
-----
You should be able to see from this that unless every person in the cohort scores well, the person ranked last is definately stuffed...even if they ace their externals. You can also see that if everyone in the cohort does well, it doesn't matter what your rank is. Eg. If you're at James ruse, where pretty much everyone scores great, then to be ranked 40/60 isn't that bad. But if you're at a school ranked like 400 then you're in big trouble :)

Last edited by a moderator:

runnable

HSC
The 2nd,3rd and so on ranked person do NOT get the corresponding highest mark.

sherylbobbins

HSC
What if your rank is really dodgy for a subject, say 10/13 but you get 80 in the externals?

Fat Fung

HSC
so...a person's mark is depended on.....

whatever your mark is for the HSC (external mark)+ the mark your cohort has (depended on yer rankings) (internal mark).............

this is both an advantage and a disadvantage....depending on what skool u are going to.....what a crap system....advantage to the dumbs in a smart skool...disadvantage to a smart/decent in a dumb skool

runnable

HSC
Fat Fung said:
so...a person's mark is depended on.....

whatever your mark is for the HSC (external mark)+ the mark your cohort has (depended on yer rankings) (internal mark).............

this is both an advantage and a disadvantage....depending on what skool u are going to.....what a crap system....advantage to the dumbs in a smart skool...disadvantage to a smart/decent in a dumb skool

Lol that is not true, you still don't get it.

If you can't even rank highly in a "dumb" school, then you are obviously not that deserving of a good UAI. If you are smart/decent, then you will have no trouble ranking high in a "dumb" school.

Fat Fung

HSC
but~~ primarily.......is my concept right???
yer HSC mark is base on

lets say u ranked 6h
1. yer external exam result is yer external mark and yer internal result is base on yer internal rank (so whoever achieved 6th in the class in the external exam, his/her external result becomes yer internal result)???????

if not plz correct me~~~

i am kinda bad in understanding lol XD

runnable

HSC
Fat Fung said:
but~~ primarily.......is my concept right???
yer HSC mark is base on

lets say u ranked 6h
1. yer external exam result is yer external mark and yer internal result is base on yer internal rank (so whoever achieved 6th in the class in the external exam, his/her external result becomes yer internal result)???????

if not plz correct me~~~

i am kinda bad in understanding lol XD
Its essentially wrong.

If you are ranked 6th, you do NOT get the 6th highest external mark as your internal mark.

If you are not first or last, its the difference in marks between ranks that counts and used to get your internal mark.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Troy2287 said:
Ok well say if you are 1st and score 77 in HSC (stuff up), as said above, you will be allocated the top external mark as your internal mark, and you keep your own external mark...so top mark might be 90. As above, you will be given (90+77)/2 = 83.5 = 84 (rounded up).

Now say that the person ranked 2nd got an external mark of 87 (about where they should be) but the 2nd highest mark was infact 89, then they would be allocated the 2nd highest exam mark for their internal mark...which is 89. So their mark would look like this: (89+87)/2 = 88.

Now if the 3rd ranked person was the one who scored the 90, again, that is their own external mark, but they are allocated the 3rd highest external mark as their internal mark. The 3rd highest being 87...so their mark looks like: (87+90)/2 = 88.5 = 89 (Rounded).

The 4th person may have scored the 62 in the exam and will be allocated the 4th highest external mark as their internal mark. 4th highest being 77 (from the 1st ranked person). So this person looks like: (77+62)/2 = 69.5 = 70 (Rounded).

I hope you enjoy trying to understand that mess :)

Tidied up a bit:

1st rank: 77 exam mark (external), allocated 90 assessment mark (internal - scored by 3rd rank). Aligned mark: 84.

2nd rank: 87 exam mark, allocated 89 assessment mark (scored by 7th ranked person). Aligned mark: 88.

3rd rank: 90 exam mark, allocated 87 assessment mark (scored by the 2nd ranked person). Aligned mark: 89.

4th rank: 62 exam mark (yeah, this guy sucks lols!), allocated 77 assessment mark (scored by 1st rank). Algined mark: 70.
-----
You should be able to see from this that unless every person in the cohort scores well, the person ranked last is definately stuffed...even if they ace their externals. You can also see that if everyone in the cohort does well, it doesn't matter what your rank is. Eg. If you're at James ruse, where pretty much everyone scores great, then to be ranked 40/60 isn't that bad. But if you're at a school ranked like 400 then you're in big trouble :)
Thanks for this. :)
Now I understand this whole thing much better.

So our rankings in our subjects at school really are important! lol

runnable

HSC
BoyNextDoor said:
Thanks for this. :)
Now I understand this whole thing much better.

So our rankings in our subjects at school really are important! lol

That is not entirely true. Read my previous post.

runnable

HSC
BoyNextDoor said:
Oh, I read your post and I don't quite understand it. Sorry.
Lol I thought I had it pretty clear.

So basically your do NOT get the 4th highest external mark to be your internal mark if you are ranked 4th and so on. Essentially only the first and last in your cohort get the corresponding external mark.

Everyone in between gets allocated their marks by also examining the difference in marks instead of purely based on your internal rank.

Fat Fung

HSC
hmm...okay~~ this thing is gettin too complicated lol~~

i better not try to understand it ~~ and do the best i could in HSC

and let those experts count my marks for me

but thx for yer help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)