2009 HSC English Texts - What are you studying? (1 Viewer)

What level of English do you study?

• English as a Second Language (ESL)

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Standard English

Votes: 128 21.9%
  • Advanced English

Votes: 361 61.8%
  • Extension English

Votes: 166 28.4%

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Are you in Advanced, Standard, ESL, Ext 1 & What are you texts for Year Twelve(12)?

I'm in Adv. English and our texts are

AREA OF STUDY: Belonging
Poetry
Skrzynecki, Peter, Immigrant Chronicle, University of Queensland Press, 2002, ISBN-13:
‘Feliks Skrzynecki’, ‘St Patrick’s College’, ‘Ancestors’, ‘10 Mary Street’, ‘Migrant Hostel’,
‘Postcard’, ‘In the Folk Museum’

MODULE A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
Elective 2: Texts in Time
Prose Fiction and Film
• Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, Penguin Red Classics, 2006, ISBN-13: 9780141024448 AND
• Scott, Ridley, Blade Runner (Director’s Cut), Warner Bros, 1982

MODULE B: Critical Study of Texts

Nonfiction
Speeches:
Margaret Atwood – ‘Spotty-Handed Villainesses’, 1994
Paul Keating – ‘Funeral Service of the Unknown Australian Soldier’, 1993
Noel Pearson – ‘An Australian History for Us All’, 1996
Aung San Suu Kyi – ‘Keynote Address at the Beijing World Conference on Women’, 1995
Faith Bandler –‘Faith, Hope and Reconciliation’, 1999
Deane, William – ‘It is Still Winter at Home’, 1999
Anwar Sadat – Speech to the Israeli Knesset, 1977

MODULE C: Representation and Text
Elective 1: Conflicting Perspectives
Shakespearean Drama
• Shakespeare, William, Julius Caesar, Cambridge University Press, New Cambridge Shakespeare,
2004, ISBN-13: 9780521535137; or Cambridge School Shakespeare, 1992, ISBN-13:
i like this selection.

Ext. we are still to decide by I like the sound of:
MODULE B: Texts and Ways of Thinking
Elective 1: After the Bomb

In this elective students explore texts which relate to the period from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki up to the collapse of the Soviet Union and the dismantling of the Berlin Wall. A climate of Cold War anxiety permeates these texts in a number of ways. The texts mayemerge from, respond to, critique, and shape our understanding of ways of thinking during this period.Many of these texts have a common focus on the personal and political ramifications of this era. They are often characterised by an intensified questioning of humanity and human beliefs and values. Experimentation with ideas and form may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

In this elective, students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts, two of which must be print texts, as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other appropriate examples. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media, and should reflect the personal and political concerns of the post-war period)

OR

MODULE B: Texts and Ways of Thinking
Elective 3: Navigating the Global

In the late 20th century and early 21st century, the development towards a global culture has blurred traditional concepts and boundaries of time and space. Knowledge, values and culture have become at once global and local through the globalisation of communications. Choice and circumstance have
created a range of individual and community responses to this changing reality: some have embraced or warily accepted it, while others have challenged or retreated from it. The ideas, language forms, features and structures of texts may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

In this elective students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts, two of which must be print texts, as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other
appropriate examples. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media and should reflect the relationships between the global and the local and the significance of these relationships to the life of the individual and their community.

bump

Last edited by a moderator:

jellybelly59

HSC
Re: English Level

marcquelle said:
what text are you looking at?

Where looking at Dracula, and it's appropriations etc.
Cause we're doing the individual and the society. Were doing Jane austen and her contemporaries (pretty much everything about 18th century women). Our prescribed texts are sense and sensibility, evelina and mansfield park. We're also given a resource booklet to constantly refer to throughout the prelim course and it's compiled by Prof.W.Christie from Syd Uni. Overall, ext. FTW except for the endless readings of critical analysis of texts and the length and amount of prescribed texts

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

jellybelly59 said:
Cause we're doing the individual and the society. Were doing Jane austen and her contemporaries (pretty much everything about 18th century women). Our prescribed texts are sense and sensibility, evelina and mansfield park. We're also given a resource booklet to constantly refer to throughout the prelim course and it's compiled by Prof.W.Christie from Syd Uni. Overall, ext. FTW except for the endless readings of critical analysis of texts and the length and amount of prescribed texts
i wish our class was like that, it is nothin compared to the amount of work that we (my class) did last time, we've been given one book, and nothing else our teacher is absolute shit house really no joke

jellybelly59

HSC

LOL our teacher i have to say is an absolute pro and super dedicated. However, 14/19 students do not participate in class discussions, read the texts, read the critical studies and just bum around in class. So when she asks a question everyone just shrivels away and doesnt say anything except for a handful of students. So pissed off when that happens. Not surprisingly 14/19 students say they will drop ext. eng for next yr. (THANK GOD)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

jellybelly59 said:
LOL our teacher i have to say is an absolute pro and super dedicated. However, 14/19 students do not participate in class discussions, read the texts, read the critical studies and just bum around in class. So when she asks a question everyone just shrivels away and doesnt say anything except for a handful of students. So pissed off when that happens. Not surprisingly 14/19 students say they will drop ext. eng for next yr. (THANK GOD)
our class has 5 people 4/5 do work/assignments, the other hasn't even done the assignment from term 1 , she tried to do term 2 and did absolutely wrong, not even close to topic DRACULA and EMO MUSIC (she didn't even have emo bands this is just some of what she had, Blink 182, Sum 41, Rise Against, & Bon Jovi) she is really stupid, as is the teacher.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Extension English, however I will probably only be doing Advanced next year.

Hating Ex1.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

What about Fundamentals of English?

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Advanced English and Extension 1.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Advanced and Extension 1. But forgot to vote for Advanced.

bawd

HSC

Advanced + Ext. 1. Thinking of picking up Ext. 2 for HSC.

rambam92

HSC

Extension - i hate it- i reckon its boring and pointless - and im doing shit in it 29/52

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

marcquelle said:
what text are you looking at?

Where looking at Dracula, and it's appropriations etc.
I'm doing that too for Extension English. But we're doing short stories.

windowseat

HSC

advanced. i started to do extension, but wasn't too stoked on it. like i like english and all, but i don't like it THAT much.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

rambam92 said:
Extension - i hate it- i reckon its boring and pointless - and im doing shit in it 29/52
Beats Advanced any day though :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)