Should I drop to advance english? Urgent help please :) (1 Viewer)

jayjays6

HSC
Hi all i was recommended to drop to standard English but have heard it ruins your attar.
I am getting 50% in advance. Should i drop to standard?
What mark do i have to get for it to scale well.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Do not do standard. It's an ATAR killer, you'll regret it.

EDIT: There isn't much difference with Standard and Advanced English apart from the fact in the latter you study Shakespeare and it aligns better. I'd advise you to stay in Advance simply because it's really hard to get a band 6 in Standard, I think only 0.1% managed to get a band 6 whereas in Advance it was 12%. It know this might now sound like much, but these are legit statistics from the Board of Studies.

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
As hawk said, Standard aligns much worse than Advanced --
Band 5 cut-off (Adv) ~ 65-68/105 whereas,
band 5 cut-off (Std) ~ 76-80/105
However, they scale similarly (although Adv slightly better) meaning that an 85 in Std and in Adv will yield similar scaled aggregrate marks per two units. Both require large amounts of effort although I found the Standard modules much simpler than Advanced ones, so doing Standard isn't an excuse to put more effort into other subjects. Really, you need to be in the upper percentile of your cohort even if your school is highly ranked to just get a band 5 so I would advise you to choose Adv - if it doesn't work out you can always move to Std

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
What EVER you do, do not do standard UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES unless the alternative was guaranteed, painful death.

Actually I wouldn't do standard even then but you get my point.

capsicum sauce

HSC
I would suggest that you drop because 1) there's nothing wrong with Standard English 2) you shouldn't be relying on scaling to get you through because every year the scaling is done differently (depending on cohort) and well, honestly 50% is not very great.. 3) even though the only major difference is that there is no Shakespeare in Standard, you do get much more simpler texts which can lead to greater understanding and better marks for you. However, if you do decide to stay in Advanced make sure you get some extra help by getting tutored, asking an older sibling or even using essays that you can find on here.

Good luck! :)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
The scaling for standard english has changed recently, with the same amount of effort you'd be able to get way better marks, a 50% in english is going to seriously hurt your atar.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
What EVER you do, do not do standard UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES unless the alternative was guaranteed, painful death.

Actually I wouldn't do standard even then but you get my point.
What he's saying is do Advanced or DIE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)