Vocabulary (1 Viewer)

-kc

HSC
Hello everyone,

I was recently PMed by a fellow member who wanted some tips on developing a stronger vocabulary. Realising this could be a common question, I wanted to share my experience as a cautionary tale to the mistakes I made.

Writing essays and creatives throughout high school - more so in my preliminary and HSC years, I always hated using the same words repeatedly. Mostly in my preliminary years, I resorted to using online thesauruses to choose more 'sophisticated' words in replacement of those in my existing vocabulary which seemed bland and unoriginal. However, as I progressed through the year and became more exposed to other people's exemplary works, whether it be from my school or my tutor or even from the internet, I noted how, in many cases, the simplest language scored the highest of marks. Reading through these exemplars, as well as textbooks and newspapers, I found words and sentence structures I was fond of and applied these to my own essays.

You ask, how can I can improve my vocabulary? From my experience, I can say without hesitance that using a thesaurus exposed me to a vast range of new words which acted as bricks to build my sentences and essays. But more importantly, I realised that using a dictionary to find the precise meaning of words allowed me to use the correct bricks to construct a coherent response. By doing so, I was not simply implanting synonyms but learning how to use these newly found words in the correct context. Eventually, I found that my dependency on a thesaurus decreased. Also try to keep in mind that an excessive amalgamation of brobdingnagian words can simply make your sentences convoluted (see what I mean?).

To summarise, whilst it is important to have a wide vocabulary, it is even more important to choose words which deliver the exact meaning you aim to express. If you can vary your sentence structure and perfect your choice of wording, the clarity and sophistication will follow.

Hope I could be of some help.

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
thanks for the insight, i always use the thesaurus trick to make bland words more creative and it works sometimes to get an extra mark but most of the time the teacher just interrogate's me asking me the word's definition
:(

-kc

HSC
thanks for the insight, i always use the thesaurus trick to make bland words more creative and it works sometimes to get an extra mark but most of the time the teacher just interrogate's me asking me the word's definition
That's happened to me countless times too! hahaha

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Great tip, I would also add on to read a lot more, because you'll be exposed to different levels of vocab and stuff as well (particularly Romantic novels that are laden with great vocab :D)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
using synonyms from a thesaurus isn't really a great technique because as OP pointed out, you might believe they are similar but in the context of your sentence they might seem very out of place for the precise meaning you want

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I have a pretty large vocabulary bank that I use when needed imo. I just used to find synonyms in the thesaurus for simple adjectives/verbs to make my essays sound better from around year 8 then eventually started to use the more intricate ones, and now I don't need to look at the thesaurus to find better synonyms for common words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)