Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How to ace oral presentations

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to ace oral presentations

My top 3 tips to writing a strong speech conclusion would be:

1)Make sure it ties in with your introduction and main points well, and most importantly, you are using the key words of the question you are given to answer the question as closely as possible. Do not introduce any new points in your conclusion.

2)Sometimes the best conclusion takes advantage of the environment one presents their speeches in, I could recall at one time, I did a speech talking about barriers and belonging, and I used an analogy in my conclusion by referring to the walls in the room which I was speaking in as physical barriers (can't remember much about the conclusion), but considering your target audience and environment is always a good tip.

3)If you start off your speech with a quote, perhaps consider ending your speech with some kind of quote as well. Make sure you achieve a definitive purpose in your conclusion, whether it be to persuade, to summarise, to advocate a desire for undertaking some sort of action. A strong conclusion should always be short, sweet and suitable to both the context and audience you are addressing.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Remember, the art of speaking needs to be practiced upon whenever possible, so if any opportunity arises, whether it be a class oral presentation, a public speaking or debating competition, grab the opportunity and relish it as another chance to sharpen your speaking skills

HSC
    Uni Grad

Sometimes through watching other people present, i.e. your teacher presenting a lesson, you can gain new ideas on how to enhance engaging your audience. Remember, regardless of what type of oral presentation you are doing, having a firm focus on your audience and catering your speech to their needs is absolutely critical if you want good reception for your speech

HSC

This is such an awesome thread Mei! I have an English speech to present in about a week and this helps so much!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    HSC 2015 ~☆

It's just a bad YEAR not a bad life!

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by lavender1001 View Post
    This is such an awesome thread Mei! I have an English speech to present in about a week and this helps so much!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    All my best wishes for you to ace your English speech, if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to post on this thread

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Bump. ^^
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC

Is it okay that i talk about my set text more than my related text, like about 500 words: 400 words? I'm running out of room to fit words without going over the time limit
    Last edited by IcyRain; 30 Mar 2014 at 4:22 PM.

HSC

Bump ^^^

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by IcyRain View Post
    Is it okay that i talk about my set text more than my related text, like about 500 words: 400 words? I'm running out of room to fit words without going over the time limit
    It depends on what your assessment criteria is, try to see whether you have any sentences that is saying the same thing and cut those sentences out, make sure that your sentences are mainly analytical rather than descriptive.

HSC

I have condensed it down quite a bit. The question was: Analyse how the composer of ONE related text represents their ideas about belonging. Compare this representation of belonging with that of the set text.
    I have set it out like this:
    Introduction
    First Idea - Set Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    First Idea - Related Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Second Idea - Set Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Second Idea - Related Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Conclusion

This should be alright? I have listed specific examples and quotes, talked about their technique and how it relates back to the topic sentence.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I have condensed it down quite a bit. The question was: Analyse how the composer of ONE related text represents their ideas about belonging. Compare this representation of belonging with that of the set text.
    I have set it out like this:
    Introduction
    First Idea - Set Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    First Idea - Related Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Second Idea - Set Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Second Idea - Related Text
    *Evidence 1
    *Evidence 2
    Conclusion

This should be alright? I have listed specific examples and quotes, talked about their technique and how it relates back to the topic sentence.
    There really is no fixed number of evidence you should put, it really depends on what form your related text in, usually it is advisable to put more, i.e. three for each idea, and you have enough time to do this if you can make your sentences as concise and clear as possibly without any verbosity. Usually, I would recommend talking about the set text first, but because this question is focusing on the related text, I would highly advise you to talk about the related text first and make sure your analysis of your related text is slightly more than your set text. Make sure you are firmly answering the question

HSC

Re: How to ace oral presentations

I have a business studies oral presentation I hope I go well, I have a habit of not looking at the audience, how can I get out of that habit??

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    There really is no fixed number of evidence you should put, it really depends on what form your related text in, usually it is advisable to put more, i.e. three for each idea, and you have enough time to do this if you can make your sentences as concise and clear as possibly without any verbosity. Usually, I would recommend talking about the set text first, but because this question is focusing on the related text, I would highly advise you to talk about the related text first and make sure your analysis of your related text is slightly more than your set text. Make sure you are firmly answering the question
    Thanks for your advice and guide, ended up getting 18/20 for the speech so I am thrilled

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellemc View Post
    I have a business studies oral presentation I hope I go well, I have a habit of not looking at the audience, how can I get out of that habit??
    Maybe try to memorize your speech as best you can, especially the introduction because it may make you look at the audience more frequently during later parts in the speech.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellemc View Post
    Simple, consciously practice and remind yourself that you need to make some eye contact Practice makes perfect

Thanks for your advice and guide, ended up getting 18/20 for the speech so I am thrilled
    Congratulations!-a wonderful mark you should be proud of-I wish you all the best-if you have any questions relating to senior studies or oral presentations in the future, feel free to reply to the senior study guide I have started or to this thread

HSC
    Uni Grad

My teacher was a bit biased about me, for a reason I know not and ended up with a 14/20 for which I was expecting around 17. Thanks for taking out your time to help us Mei.
    Last edited by hit patel; 11 Apr 2014 at 12:24 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by hit patel View Post
    My teacher was a bit biased about me, for a reason I know not and ended up with a 14/20 for which I was expecting around 17. Thanks for taking out your time to help us Mei.
    Maybe ask for comments from the teacher on how you can improve? Always try to see what you can take away from each assessment task Thanks for appreciating my efforts-I don't really get this very often Best wishes for your studies this year

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    Maybe ask for comments from the teacher on how you can improve? Always try to see what you can take away from each assessment task Thanks for appreciating my efforts-I don't really get this very often Best wishes for your studies this year
    Yes Thats the problem. I do think she dislikes me so she probably doesnt want to help me. But thanks for the wishes . hopefully I can leave school with a smile on my face .

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by hit patel View Post
    Yes Thats the problem. I do think she dislikes me so she probably doesnt want to help me. But thanks for the wishes . hopefully I can leave school with a smile on my face .
    You will leave school with a smile on your face if you choose to. Perspective and psychology can be a powerful thing.
    For anyone else having any questions at all related to oral presentations, please feel free to ask

HSC
    Uni Grad

Any questions, feel free to ask

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by hawkrider View Post
    Hey strawberrye, I've been given my English speech which is due in around two weeks from now and the question that was given is this:

Compose a speech in which you demonstrate how your understanding of the interplay between history and memory is shaped by the construction of the texts.

All I've done so far is dumb down the language to be written like this, "How does your understanding of history and memory cooperating with each other form the making of the texts", but I don't know how to go from there due to such a vague and open to interpretation question.

Could you please provide some help to kickstart my preparation?
    You need to deconstruct the key words of the speech question to expand your understanding and possibility of different theses to answer this question, for example, you need to refer back to the module rubric to understand the many possibilities presented by this question.

Interplay between history and memory-this sounds very similar, if not the same as the current HSC module elective for Module C in Advanced English called 'history and memory', i am not sure whether the module rubric you have been given is the same as the current HSC module, but essentially you may choose to explore how history is often portrayed as an objective understanding of the past while memory is a more subjective interpretation, but ultimately, if you closely examine history is made of memories/eyewitness accounts, then the supposed distinct divide between history and memory breaks down.

Although I personally haven't studied this module for my HSC, you may choose to explore conceptual concerns relating history and memory together, i.e. perhaps a combination of history and personal memories is essential for construction of a more holistic understanding of truth of any particular historical event, and also you need to be aware construction of texts-is talking about techniques, including structural techniques, and depending on what your prescribed and related text are, you may choose to expand/contrast/compare these key conceptual concerns within the two texts.

Very important is to incorporate a personal voice into your speech, try to investigate unique ideas that are particular to the texts you have selected, and be specific in your thesis. Ultimately you may choose to find that the interplay between history and memory is an inevitable result of the universal shortcomings of humanity, in that we all have a tendency to forget things with the progression of time, and that our memory is vulnerable to distortion, no matter how confident we are in our memories. I would highly recommend you to have a look through the module rubric you have been given for this topic to really investigate into how you can answer this question: (an extract from the current HSC syllabus is provided below):

"Their responding and composing, students consider their prescribed text and other texts which explore the relationships between individual memory and documented events. Students analyse and evaluate the interplay of personal experience, memory and documented evidence to broaden their understanding of how history and personal history are shaped and represented."

Essentially the question is seeking for your understanding how the techniques and textual form/media/structural features deliberately/judiciously chosen by composers enhances your understanding of the complex and intrinsic relationship between memory and history-in the context of projecting some timeless/universal human concerns... hope this helps a bit

Best wishes for your speech-this question is not vague, it is broad and allows you a lot of flexibility in expanding your understanding

HSC

Thanks for your help on this thread! I had to do a Modern speech last week and we get the results back tomorrow. Will lyk how it went. Many thanks again for the help!
    ATAR AIM - 93 (90+ is fine)

STANDARDENGLISH/MATHEMATICS/LEGALSTUDIES/FINANCIALSERVICESCERTIII/MODERNHISTORY

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by ATAR Achiever View Post
    Thanks for your help on this thread! I had to do a Modern speech last week and we get the results back tomorrow. Will lyk how it went. Many thanks again for the help!
    Thanks for showing your appreciation I don't often get this-I hope you did well in your modern history speech and best wishes for you to ace the rest of your HSC studies-may you achieve your ATAR aim and aspirations

HSC
    Uni Grad

Tip: It is not necessarily the more times you fix up your speech, the better it will be. Sometimes it may be much more beneficial to think over possible corrections in your head before executing them-this way-you will find you will fix your speech less times-but achieve better quality proof-reading
    buckskinbrumby likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Tip: Sometimes watching oral presentations on a regular basis can assist you to learn from the best orators/presenters which can in turn greater enhance your marks for presentation of your speech, a good source of this is from TED talks, where you can learn about different knowledge as well as get to witness/learn from some of the best contemporary and most creative/original presenters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information