Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How to ace oral presentations

  1. #51
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    A golden tip to test whether your oral presentation is engaging is to imagine you are in the audience and see whether you yourself will be engaged by your presentation, if the answer is in the negative, then it might well be time to change your presentation to suit your audience even better
    buckskinbrumby likes this.

  2. #52
    Retired astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UTS
    Posts
    7,087
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    BUMP for the 2015ers
    thanks for this, my first assessment is a speech :/

  3. #53
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by astroman View Post
    thanks for this, my first assessment is a speech :/
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask good luck for your speech

  4. #54
    Retired astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UTS
    Posts
    7,087
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask good luck for your speech
    still have a few weeks to go

  5. #55
    Retired astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UTS
    Posts
    7,087
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Hey Mei, what do you suggest i include in a 3min speech on how discovery is represented in The Shakespearean drama, The Tempest?

  6. #56
    Good grief. EarthSci34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Do we get marked the way we present the speech? (i.e. eye contact, voice modulation, etc?)

  7. #57
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by EarthSci34 View Post
    Do we get marked the way we present the speech? (i.e. eye contact, voice modulation, etc?)
    You actually do-this is generally under the broader category of engagement with audience. Technically, on a professional level, 50% of your marks comes from your presentation, and 50% comes from your content, however, obviously having great content would enhance your confidence in presenting it.

  8. #58
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    One tip to remember-whilst aspects of presentation-i.e. tone, speech, pace, eye contact is important in a oral assessment task, it is vital that you structure your speech so that it firmly answers the assessment criteria and given question and nothing irrelevant is in it. A very good guide is if you are able to craft a speech you personally would enjoy hearing, than you have reached success

  9. #59
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

  10. #60
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Next to Broccoli
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    tone, pace, eye contact is important in an oral task
    Correct. Don't forget to use your hands every now and then. A firm tongue is also good. You know, to enunciate.
    yes m8

  11. #61
    New Member Matador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Uganda
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Thanks a ton for this!
    I have two speeches due in the next two weeks, one of them is for SoR II - since I'm doing it on a pretty broad topic (The Stolen Generations) I'm having trouble with what information to include and what to leave out. Also, are there any tips on conveying ideas in the best way possible and to get my point across more effectively?
    I also noticed that I run out of breath very quickly and my voice seems to fade out mid-sentence every once in a while, not sure what to do about this.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

  12. #62
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Thanks a ton for this!
    I have two speeches due in the next two weeks, one of them is for SoR II - since I'm doing it on a pretty broad topic (The Stolen Generations) I'm having trouble with what information to include and what to leave out. Also, are there any tips on conveying ideas in the best way possible and to get my point across more effectively?
    I also noticed that I run out of breath very quickly and my voice seems to fade out mid-sentence every once in a while, not sure what to do about this.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
    Hi there, consider how many words you can speak in one minute and how much time you have to deliver the speech, and that should give you a rough word limit for your speech, then decide on what is the most important information to include-so consider the relevance of it to your assessment question, and avoid repeating information, also see whether you can cut out things-I think easiest thing to do is always to write a draft-even though it is likely to be much longer than your final one-and then just kept refining it.

    To convey ideas in the best way possible-make sure you have some sort of topic sentence and introduction to really give a very good overview as well as conclusion to remind people what are the points you want to make. To make points more effectively, eye contact, gestures, pause, analogies, interesting statistics and the list literally goes on in how to make your point more effective-but in general shorter sentences makes better sentences.

    If you run out of breath very quickly, that means you are speaking far too quickly, so you need to consciously slow down your speech or else have less words in your speech, voice fading out can only be remedy by practising consciously to ensure your voice is at a consistent volume. At the end of the day, record yourself and practice plenty of times-practice makes things perfect Hope this helps and best of luck for your two speeches

  13. #63
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    This practically sums it all up

  14. #64
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    What is better? To talk faster and have more content OR to have less content but use more expression and emphasis on words

  15. #65
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by relativity1 View Post
    What is better? To talk faster and have more content OR to have less content but use more expression and emphasis on words
    So sorry for the late reply-Never talk faster, always have more useful content-selective and use more hand gestures and appropriate eye contact to maximise delivery impact

  16. #66
    Khan of Spam Kolmias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,496
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    1. Speak clearly.
    2. Rehearse.
    3. Make sure the content you are delivering is the best you can do. Every speech I write for school, I do not print it and begin rehearsing until I believe it is good enough to receive full marks.
    strawberrye likes this.
    HSC 2018: 4U English | General Maths | Economics | Legal Studies | Modern History
    ATAR Aim: 90.00
    Course Aim: Business @ UTS

  17. #67
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    I had my oral presentation last week for English, I hope I went ok.

    I was within the time limit and spoke clearly but I mispronounced maybe 2 words from nerves (I read descendant as descending before correcting myself, and idyllic as ideally )
    General maths Business Studies SOR II English Advanced Modern History ⌚️

  18. #68
    Cadet DonnaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Awesome thread! My advice'd be to imagine yourself as an audience, in order to find out what they'd want to hear and see. Using simple language is a good idea too. And of course practicing!
    strawberrye likes this.

  19. #69
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Hey Mei I have an extension speech due soon and I was wondering how I should structure it. It needs to be 9-10 minutes long while incorporating technology. I need to justify to an audience of university students why the gothic genre remains of value to a contemporary audience using two of Poe's texts + a related (where I'm using a film). I'm pretty lost on how to put it all together. Any help is appreciated.

  20. #70
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by mollytee View Post
    Hey Mei I have an extension speech due soon and I was wondering how I should structure it. It needs to be 9-10 minutes long while incorporating technology. I need to justify to an audience of university students why the gothic genre remains of value to a contemporary audience using two of Poe's texts + a related (where I'm using a film). I'm pretty lost on how to put it all together. Any help is appreciated.
    Unfortunately I don't know your exact question but I will try my best. I think it is basically like an essay where you have like your introduction, key points and a conclusion, you can do a powerpoint presentation or a video if you are feeling adventurous and creative. You can always pretend you are a professor and like either have a sort of lecture-i.e. welcome to GOT1332, 'Gothic Genre in the Contemporary World', in this course we will consider blah blah blah, and extract key ideas form the relevant texts-I would do it like an essay, i.e. Idea 1-paragraph1 (POE TEXT 1), paragraph 2(film related), Idea 2-Paragraph 3(POE TEXT 2), paragraph 4(film related)-but this might be a bit short you should consult your teacher more specifically, and then you can spend like 2 minutes on each paragraph-which is plenty of words, and like 1 minute on intro and conclusion, hope this helps-just an idea-you don't need to adopt it

  21. #71
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know your exact question but I will try my best. I think it is basically like an essay where you have like your introduction, key points and a conclusion, you can do a powerpoint presentation or a video if you are feeling adventurous and creative. You can always pretend you are a professor and like either have a sort of lecture-i.e. welcome to GOT1332, 'Gothic Genre in the Contemporary World', in this course we will consider blah blah blah, and extract key ideas form the relevant texts-I would do it like an essay, i.e. Idea 1-paragraph1 (POE TEXT 1), paragraph 2(film related), Idea 2-Paragraph 3(POE TEXT 2), paragraph 4(film related)-but this might be a bit short you should consult your teacher more specifically, and then you can spend like 2 minutes on each paragraph-which is plenty of words, and like 1 minute on intro and conclusion, hope this helps-just an idea-you don't need to adopt it

    Thankyou so much!!!

  22. #72
    Tafe Advocate ProdigyInspired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    608
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    I also have a structure question:

    I'm doing a speech thats 4-5 mins long, its based on the related text I chose - V for Vendetta, and i have to discuss the political motivations of characters and their impact on others and society i.e. cause and effect.
    also, I am "speaking" to a english module C forum.

    i was thinking of a classic essay structure i.e. intro, discuss 2 or 3 points depending if time forgives, then conclude
    also i'm only 50% proud of my english introduction, not sure if it ticks all boxes. i asked my teacher and she said she liked it - not necessarily good.
    any suggestions?

    V for Vendetta, directed by James McTeigue, is a film of rebellion – the finest kind. If there’s one fundamental theme which entirely captivates, it is what V, represents, for lack of better word: “Vengeance”. Gladly, I invite you, fellow students of Module C, into the distracted and masked world of V for Vendetta. The film portrays the particular political motivations of figures of civilized control, and the rebels against. V for Vendetta, inexorably, presents the essence and delusion of power.
    Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) at MQ.

    HSC 2016: English Advanced, Math 3U, Math 4U, Chemistry, Business Studies

  23. #73
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyInspired View Post
    I also have a structure question:

    I'm doing a speech thats 4-5 mins long, its based on the related text I chose - V for Vendetta, and i have to discuss the political motivations of characters and their impact on others and society i.e. cause and effect.
    also, I am "speaking" to a english module C forum.

    i was thinking of a classic essay structure i.e. intro, discuss 2 or 3 points depending if time forgives, then conclude
    also i'm only 50% proud of my english introduction, not sure if it ticks all boxes. i asked my teacher and she said she liked it - not necessarily good.
    any suggestions?

    V for Vendetta, directed by James McTeigue, is a film of rebellion – the finest kind. If there’s one fundamental theme which entirely captivates, it is what V, represents, for lack of better word: “Vengeance”. Gladly, I invite you, fellow students of Module C, into the distracted and masked world of V for Vendetta. The film portrays the particular political motivations of figures of civilized control, and the rebels against. V for Vendetta, inexorably, presents the essence and delusion of power.
    I would only suggest 2 points for a 4-5 minute speech, 3 points is too excessive. I think the main problem with your intro is that it is not connected well enough between sentences, could flow much better with better organisation, and I don't really like the first sentence, seems to be going around the bush when you say it is a film of rebellion-what kind of rebellion-what do you mean by the finest kind-sometimes clear straightforward words are really important in speeches when people don't have much time to understand and decode what you say, so you got to make sure your sentences are coherent and clear enough they can understand by hearing.

    Best wishes for your speech.

  24. #74
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,415
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    Bump for any upcoming english assessment tasks

  25. #75
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: How to ace oral presentations

    i have a question:
    my question is that i dont really know how to structure essays and oral presentations

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •