Creative: Importance of language techniques (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
I'll be honest, I've read a lot of past creative writing pieces that claim to have received 14-15/15 and the majority of them just seem to be crushing under the weight of their own convolution and verbose imagery, similes and metaphors.

Do the markers really value language techniques that much over the exploration of belonging and plot? Most teachers upon reading my creative have said that it's original, explores belonging well and is funny, but they also say it incorporates too much dialogue and not enough language techniques.

Do I really need to drown my piece in imagery to ensure an A?

mreditor16

HSC
I'll be honest, I've read a lot of past creative writing pieces that claim to have received 14-15/15 and the majority of them just seem to be crushing under the weight of their own convolution and verbose imagery, similes and metaphors.

Do the markers really value language techniques that much over the exploration of belonging and plot? Most teachers upon reading my creative have said that it's original, explores belonging well and is funny, but they also say it incorporates too much dialogue and not enough language techniques.

same question from me too.

my scenario is the same as the bolded part.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
oh wow I'm scared now. My creative has like 2 proper techniques, moderate dialogue and jargon. What mark would this equate to? 4/15 for creative?

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
wowowow lol I never even realised we were supposed to put in techniques.

Mine's 'descriptive language' and 'first person narration' then LOOLL
But you're 2nd in English at a top 5 school :O. (inb4 it was creative that dragged you down)

PS: didn't you have waaaaaaaay more posts than 14 before- what happened??

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Every line doesn't have to have a legit technique but you need to consistently incorporate techniques into your writing basically :haha:

It's like asking ''do I need to provide textual evidence in the form of quotes and techniques in my essay?''

Conceptual/philosophical answers in essays are great but in the end, markers want to see ''techniques (and quotes too for essays)'' so you'll need to do so in both your essays and creative.

wowowow lol I never even realised we were supposed to put in techniques.

Mine's 'descriptive language' and 'first person narration' then LOOLL
You probably incorporate techniques naturally without knowing it LOL

The best creative writers are probably the ones who don't really need to ''force'' the techniques but rather it just ''comes out like that''. :haha:

HSC
I think it's more to do with fluency and how well you incorporate belonging/not belonging in your creative as well as answering the question. The beginning of the year, I also thought that you have to be descriptive as f*** and show all these similes and shit, but i was constantly told by my tutor that markers do not read your creative and then have a checklist of how many techniques you used or what technique you used will determine what mark they give you.

Ofcourse you have to be descriptive but when they're marking they're not going to be like

Okay this guy used simile, metaphor and personification so i'll give this guy 3 marks, but the other guy used pathetic fallacy and all this other fancy shit so i'll give him 10 marks.

Fluency, sophistication (showing extensive vocab and being descriptive when appropriate) and answering the question will get marks. <----- what i have been told numerous times by tutor and others

emilios

HSC
Every line doesn't have to have a legit technique but you need to consistently incorporate techniques into your writing basically :haha:

It's like asking ''do I need to provide textual evidence in the form of quotes and techniques in my essay?''

Conceptual/philosophical answers in essays are great but in the end, markers want to see ''techniques (and quotes too for essays)'' so you'll need to do so in both your essays and creative.

You probably incorporate techniques naturally without knowing it LOL

The best creative writers are probably the ones who don't really need to ''force'' the techniques but rather it just ''comes out like that''. :haha:
false equivalence. i wouldn't compare language techniques in creative to quotes in essays. the latter is an absolute necessity in forming a strong, foolproof argument. rarely does one have too much textual evidence, whilst one can absolutely have too many language techniques. read a george orwell text that only sparingly use language techniques and still has a hard hitting voice and compare that to a '15/15' belonging piece i read with a simile loaded into every second sentence. which one do you think was more enjoyable, thought provoking and engaging? and which one do you think would receive a higher mark in a hsc exam?

lol this has just turned into an anti-Section II rant

mreditor16

HSC
false equivalence. i wouldn't compare language techniques in creative to quotes in essays. the latter is an absolute necessity in forming a strong, foolproof argument. rarely does one have too much textual evidence, whilst one can absolutely have too many language techniques. read a george orwell text that only sparingly use language techniques and still has a hard hitting voice and compare that to a '15/15' belonging piece i read with a simile loaded into every second sentence. which one do you think was more enjoyable, thought provoking and engaging? and which one do you think would receive a higher mark in a hsc exam?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to emilios again.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I had symbolism which the teachers didn't pick up on but instead decided I had a metaphor...

o_O Would really depend on the English teacher you get marking...

Reactions: QZP

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

That's the thing.

HSC markers would still give the 'technique-based' writing (not saying it'll be technique-spammed because aspects of belonging/not belonging are still the most important in AoS creative writing) more marks than ACTUAL creative writing.

It's like asking which one is bound to get the higher mark? Which one appeals to HSC markers?

1. The one that has aspects of belonging + a well developed plot.

OR

2. The one that has aspects of belonging, a well developed plot and has incorporated language techniques throughout (without making it seemed forced).

QZP

HSC
WOW this is my problem too. Most B6 creatives I've seen is just flooded with description... so sad because my story is the opposite
Even worse is that the people who I've shown it to have really liked it (one cried because of how moving it was) but markers don't really care about the "creative writing" but instead language techniques >.>

Edit: The only standout technique in my writing is a poem and symbolism, otherwise barely any description

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
WOW this is my problem too. Most B6 creatives I've seen is just flooded with description... so sad because my story is the opposite (strong narrative voice whilst keeping it to simple language)

Some teachers like conciseness?

QZP

HSC
Some teachers like conciseness?
ya fuck english. -3 marks in half yearly because marker biased metaphoric, descriptive stories. So I changed my story for trials and the teacher bisaed simpler stories which she admitted it to her class... (I got the same mark as someone who wrote theirs on the day and it was just description about what he saw/felt/smell with fob english whilst mine was refined over the months with several teachers)

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Please confirm mine is 14/15

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
ya fuck english. -3 marks in half yearly because marker biased metaphoric, descriptive stories. So I changed my story for trials and the teacher bisaed simpler stories which she admitted it to her class... (I got the same mark as someone who wrote theirs on the day and it was just description about what he saw/felt/smell with fob english whilst mine was refined over the months with several teachers)
I got told I wasn't authentic enough but when I used the same story and handed it in the marker said it was authentic?
Hmn english teachers :I

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)