What are your opinions on these? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all, what do you guys think?
1. Creative writing
-don't use a title for exams because it implies prepared story. Should we use a crappy title if we want to include a title to make the story feel complete
-first person (more personal) or third person (more flexible)?
-not using saying verbs e.g. Rick dragged his palm across his forehead, letting out an exasperating sigh. "what do you want from me now?" vs Rick dragged his palm across his forehead. Letting out an exasperating sigh he asked," what do you want from me now?"
-times to show and times to tell?

2. Comparative essays
-how many paragraphs altogether for comparing two texts?
-how many paragraphs dedicated to each text?
-if more than 1, how are they laid out:
intro
text 1
text 1
text 2
text 2
conclusion
or
intro
text 1
text 2
text 1
text 2
conclusion
the more opinions, the better =)

Last edited:

Ton5698

HSC
1. Creative writing: according to my teacher, they recommend using a title: doesnt have to be long, like 'Complexity' or 'Silence under the trees'
Is intriguing and lulls the audience into the flow.
Thats what I think.
For the verbs, i think the syntax is correct as long as you think it fits the story.
For 1st person, it aims for a diary type approach, 3rd person is more of a wide perspective, its all up to you what type of creative you want to write.

Thats my opinion so far

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
1. - Titles are always fine. It is quite possible that the title is added at the end, so a title doesn't really mean that the story is pre-prepared.
- For verbs, there are no rules. What fits in best with the pace that you're trying to create?
- Showing is for being gentle and delicate with your audience. Telling is for hitting them over the head. It's for giving them no freedom, it subverts Barthes' Death of an Author. The choice is yours. What do you want to do with your audience?

2. Use the structure which allows you to make the most insightful points of comparison. For most essays, it would be the alternating approach. Perhaps a different structure would accommodate your ideas better. But for other essays with multiple texts [AOS/ModC/Extension], I wouldn't advise you to force your essay into an alternating structure to achieve a contrived sense of 'sophistication' within your argument. Often, this structure is not the most appropriate for your argument. Often, it is. That's my opinion.

HSC
1. Creative writing: according to my teacher, they recommend using a title: doesnt have to be long, like 'Complexity' or 'Silence under the trees'
Is intriguing and lulls the audience into the flow.
Thats what I think.
For the verbs, i think the syntax is correct as long as you think it fits the story.
For 1st person, it aims for a diary type approach, 3rd person is more of a wide perspective, its all up to you what type of creative you want to write.

Thats my opinion so far
great advice! It really clears things up
rep'd

1. - Titles are always fine. It is quite possible that the title is added at the end, so a title doesn't really mean that the story is pre-prepared.
- For verbs, there are no rules. What fits in best with the pace that you're trying to create?
- Showing is for being gentle and delicate with your audience. Telling is for hitting them over the head. It's for giving them no freedom, it subverts Barthes' Death of an Author. The choice is yours. What do you want to do with your audience?

2. Use the structure which allows you to make the most insightful points of comparison. For most essays, it would be the alternating approach. Perhaps a different structure would accommodate your ideas better. But for other essays with multiple texts [AOS/ModC/Extension], I wouldn't advise you to force your essay into an alternating structure to achieve a contrived sense of 'sophistication' within your argument. Often, this structure is not the most appropriate for your argument. Often, it is. That's my opinion.
yes been hearing about death of the author lately
thanks for the opinion, I agree with many things you said. I think my teachers don't like when I alternate, apparently my arguments 'jumps' too much
rep'd

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. If you have the sill to write in third person,stick with that
2.Second option is better structure for essay.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
I think my teachers don't like when I alternate, apparently my arguments 'jumps' too much
rep'd
If you feel your argument 'jumps' too much, try to maintain a logical flow of argument by designing your thesis outside the texts, using the texts as textual evidence for your argument. That way, your argument should be able to flow between texts without jumping too much.

HSC
1. If you have the sill to write in third person,stick with that
2.Second option is better structure for essay.
Ok. Seems better for me

If you feel your argument 'jumps' too much, try to maintain a logical flow of argument by designing your thesis outside the texts, using the texts as textual evidence for your argument. That way, your argument should be able to flow between texts without jumping too much.
Yeah I think I have to come up with another 2 points for my opening statements

buriza

conviction
HSC
1. Creative writing
  • Titles are preferred
  • Whichever suits you or the story better
  • Sometimes use saying verbs, sometimes don't
  • Most, if not all times, to show.
2. Comparative essays
  • Three body paragraphs
  • Intro, core text, core text + related 1, core text + related 2, conclusion
  • If there are two core texts, then four body paragraphs
  • Intro, text 1, text 2, text 1 + text 2, text 1 + text 2, conclusion
  • This relies on using integration.

photastic

HSC
Only got 13/15 for creative for the hsc but this is what i did:
1. Used a title, used something mysterious like 'Strings of Dreams' lol.
2. First person, more interesting and easier to do.
3. Show, increase that vocab

Got only 13.5/15 for my essay:
1. Used 4 body paragraphs
2. Used 2 main ideas.
3. Structured where text 1 and text 2 alternated.

HSC
1. Creative writing
  • Titles are preferred
  • Whichever suits you or the story better
  • Sometimes use saying verbs, sometimes don't
  • Most, if not all times, to show.
2. Comparative essays
  • Three body paragraphs
  • Intro, core text, core text + related 1, core text + related 2, conclusion
  • If there are two core texts, then four body paragraphs
  • Intro, text 1, text 2, text 1 + text 2, text 1 + text 2, conclusion
  • This relies on using integration.
Oh so r 2 of your bodies are synthesising paragraphs! That's pretty cool
Only got 13/15 for creative for the hsc but this is what i did:
1. Used a title, used something mysterious like 'Strings of Dreams' lol.
2. First person, more interesting and easier to do.
3. Show, increase that vocab

Got only 13.5/15 for my essay:
1. Used 4 body paragraphs
2. Used 2 main ideas.
3. Structured where text 1 and text 2 alternated.
Awesome. I do your essay structure too. Are you going to post both your creative and the essay?

PhysicsMaths

HSC
I personally don't agree with this. Having only 3 body paragraphs is not sufficient for insightful analysis into any module, especially discovery. Whereas if you separate texts and match paragraphs by theme (4 body paras), it helps ensure that the examiners are extremely clear about which texts you're talking about all times.

You can get great results with either approach, but separation just makes life easier for your markers which means more likely to look favourably on your essays.
I agree with this, but experimenting with different structures can really make your essay stand out

buriza

conviction
HSC
I personally don't agree with this. Having only 3 body paragraphs is not sufficient for insightful analysis into any module, especially discovery. Whereas if you separate texts and match paragraphs by theme (4 body paras), it helps ensure that the examiners are extremely clear about which texts you're talking about all times.

You can get great results with either approach, but separation just makes life easier for your markers which means more likely to look favourably on your essays.
this isn't necessarily true lol

the reason why I did 3 body paragraphs, as I said in my explanation, was that it relied on integration (which was heavily encouraged by my teachers as it helps you get into the A range). basically integration just means that I am constantly linking quotes/techniques/explanations of one text with another text and having them being relevant to an overarching theme in the paragraph

having said that some students do find integration more difficult to achieve so I can understand why separation could be seen as clearer and simpler

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)