Help with writing clearly (1 Viewer)

yuzko

HSC
Hi everyone,

Many of my teachers (including English) say that in order for me to achieve a band 6, I need to write with more clarity. Despite the content I cover in assessments making perfect sense to me at the time, my teachers often say that the way I phrase the content is convoluted and choppy. Does anyone have any tips for fixing this? So far the only thing I can think to do is write more and ask for feedback from my teachers.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

yuzko

HSC
Yeah, I used to have the same problem as you. Contrary to popular opinion, whilst it's nice to have flowery language, overdoing it can stigmatise the marker. Similarly, having long winded sentences is unnecessary as it makes it hard to follow what you're arguing about. So what I would do is read my essay out loud. By doing this, you'll identify where your expression seems to be jarring - that way - you can mend the flagged bits and pieces to ensure clarity.
What you've said parallels my own research of how to fix my problem which is assuring. For the time being, I'm just going to focus on getting my point across rather than getting caught up in trying to sound sophisticated.

Thanks for some feedback :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I had the exact same problem and I found that it helped by writing a really rough first draft and get my essay out of the way in one sitting (1 hour?) helped me get out my basic ideas and all my arguments although very messy. Then once I finished writing a draft I probably edited that essay several times, deleting whole paragraphs and analysis points with the purpose of making it clear. The hard truth is the only way your going to write clearer is just by editing your work so that it is clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)