Avoiding plot retelling (1 Viewer)

akkatracker

HSC
I'm usually pretty good at avoiding retelling the plot but I'm currently doing a question in which it feels like I'm gravitating to it.

The question is:

An individual's perceptions of success evolve in response to the passage of time and interaction with their world.

How could I structure this as to avoid retelling the novel (Great Expectations) and my other text?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
english has to do with how an idea is expressed
how particular literary devices are used to convey a certain meaning with a text.
just telling the plot shows you grasp the story but fails to show how the idea is expressed
not as english wants you to do appreciate fully the construction of the piece

1. first thing is to breakdown the question in a way that matches something that is raised overall in the text. try rewording it in terms you are more familiar with. e.g. Dickens shows that our cultural context and personal experiences influence how we define success. Obviously this is not the best topic sentence but often the question is very wordy so try to write a topic sentence that is clear.
2. breakdown into elements, e.g. factors or aspects
for example you can discuss how each factor influences perception of success. you could raise the idea that people's opinions of themselves and their welfare and therefore success change as their opinion of themselves change or how the culture rewards or idolises certain lifestyles or actions influence how an individual perceives his success. or alternatively you can break it down into different areas of success, personal success etc.
3. techniques, what devices in the text are employed to convey this

that should be a start

dinomyte

HSC
Structure it in terms of technique and analysis rather than plot.

Given the nature of the question is transformation, I understand how you may gravitate towards plot retelling. But instead of showing how your thesis statement works in the text through plot, show it through techniques.

A very simple model:

You would start with a technique/quote that shows us the situation BEFORE the transformation has happened. Then you use another technique/quote that shows the situation DURING the transformation. Again with another technique/quote that shows the endpoint of the transformation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)