techniques to analyse Othello's context/contextual concerns?! (1 Viewer)

jvjv

HSC
can someone list some techniques to help me out with my speech on the contexual concerns of othello???? due in 2 days!!
thanks if anyone can

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
...Why didn't you study the book as you went? I'm assuming you had some time - at least 1 week or 2.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
The best way to collect textual evidence (quotes, techniques) is to analyse the text yourself.

However, here is a very small list of examples.

Equality/Inequality/Racism

Symbolism/Imagery - Iago's description of Othello as an 'old black ram' and ‘the Moor are now making the beast with two backs’.

Brabantio’s description of Othello: ‘O thou foul thief'

Appearance v Reality

Dramatic irony in the play: Iago’s soliloquys - the audience sees Iago’s honest side while the characters see his deceptive side (even though Iago is referred to as ‘honest’ by the other characters).

In a soliloquy, he states ‘I hate the Moor’ but he appears to be friendly towards Othello.

Honest Iago’ is a recurring motif?

Othello perceives Desdemona as being deceitful yet in reality, she is innocent - ’Fetch me the handkerchief. My mind misgives’ (alliteration of 'my mind misgives').

There's a contrast between the two - Iago is seen as honest, yet he is actually lying. Desdemona is seen as unfaithful, yet she is actually faithful.

Othello's Jealousy and Desdemona's Fidelity

- Jealousy is the protagonist's fatal flaw
- Metaphor of the 'green eyed monster'

- Desdemona and ‘The Willow Song'
In the second verse:
Let nobody blame him; his scorn I approve’ emphasises her loyalty to Othello, despite his remarks and actions (instigated by his jealousy).
I call’d my love false love; but what said he then?/ If I court moe women, you’ll couch with moe men’ - a comparison between the persona and their lover and Desdemona herself and Othello.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)