My English teacher is a joke >___> Help? (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
My English teacher. Omg. She is notorious for having lecture-type classes and terrible progression.
So, I have this English Advanced teacher (who I assume, I'm going to have for Year 12 - oh god) and compared to my Year 9/10 English Advanced teacher (who unfortunately left to teach English overseas), she is terrible.

1. She always talks and leaves everything until last minute
2. She never actually gets us started for the actual assessment. Because she talks LOL
3. She's not a good influence; she's slow, she's not progressive and I feel like she doesn't really care if her students do well

SO. In about 5 days, on the 9th June, we have our English Comparative Study assessment.
Our class hasn't started ANYTHING productive. I have written a draft essay.

But guess what?! OUR teacher is marking it and she feels its immoral if she helps us with our drafts - what a joke.
Every class will have a teacher to help them with their drafts, except ours.
So now I have a practice draft essay, that isn't going to get looked over by my teacher and have my school standards applied to it. But I have a tutor who would help me with editing it, but her standards are much higher than my school's. And my school finds it so intimidating that I don't get full marks.

Do you think it would be possible to change teachers next year? I'm trying.

astroman

HSC
perhaps get a some students to gather and complain to the principal? We had the same situation and the teacher was removed from teaching seniors to year 7's by the start of the next year

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I definitely understand that it is upon the student to do their work and have it help them succeed. But I feel like teacher feedback will put me on a better road, then the unstable guesses I'm taking and learning from websites. I wasn't really asking to have my teacher rally us up to get our essays started and to feed us every technique and quote BUT it would really be relieving to know that what you're saying in those essays is understandable and correct.

Because lets be honest, I have been working on my essay for about 2 - 3 weeks, gathering all the quotes and techniques by myself (the teacher doesn't really do anything productive in class) and all I need is the final touches and a teacher's feedback - which then I can use to improve in my current essay and in my future essays. But I feel its unfair to have a teacher who has an aura of "Hey! Who cares :D Lets rush everything last minute" (which is the attitude she carries), English has become a dread for me but at least every English lesson is like a free and all I do is work on my essays.

And yes, it is unfair to refuse to help your students, just because you're going to be marking the assessment - any other student who wrote a draft gets to get teacher feedback on it, from a teacher who obviously knows the question, whilst we don't. I'm just really angered. I have never had a teacher refuse to help, she might as well say "Fuck it, I want to watch Netflix tonight, I don't have a care in the world for this class". Its terrible that a top English Advanced class is this neglected.

I'm not too worried about making mistakes and not being on point with essay writing in Year 11, I'm worried that it will be detrimental to my HSC, because its compulsory units.

Last edited:
HSC
you really need to gather your classmates into this so you guys can go talk to the teachers so they do something about it. Meanwhile are you able to get other class teachers to mark it?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you perhaps get a different english teacher to mark it?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I considered getting my English Extension teacher to have a look at it. But you see, most of the teachers are most probably busy with their own students :/ Thats why

I can go and ask one I know though, just to try.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yup! I'm also e-mailing my Year Advisor, who is also my Physics teacher, and seeing if anything can be done about it before Year 12 starts.

Fiction

HSC
Isn't there a sheet that you have to sign that says 'all my own work'? Technically your teacher or any other teacher isn't allowed to help you with your actual assignment draft - they are and should be helping with essay drafts that don't directly respond to your assessment question though.

I'm not going to lie - it seems unfair your teacher is refusing to mark your classes essays, especially since teachers from other classes are helping their students.

I would talk to a year advisor or the head teacher to switch classes. It's slack how your teacher isn't even teaching you guys stuff - although the HSC is often seen as an individual effort, having a good teacher to provide constant support can be crucial in affecting the student's performance in that subject.

For the time being (or until you can switch teachers), before a notification is given out - write out a draft essay and hand it in for your teacher to mark. As long as it's before the notification is given out, your teacher can't complain about unfairness regardless of whether they're marking it or not. I know it sounds tedious, but it's better than going in blind.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Isn't there a sheet that you have to sign that says 'all my own work'? Technically your teacher or any other teacher isn't allowed to help you with your actual assignment draft - they are and should be helping with essay drafts that don't directly respond to your assessment question though.

I'm not going to lie - it seems unfair your teacher is refusing to mark your classes essays, especially since teachers from other classes are helping their students.

I would talk to a year advisor or the head teacher to switch classes. It's slack how your teacher isn't even teaching you guys stuff - although the HSC is often seen as an individual effort, having a good teacher to provide constant support can be crucial in affecting the student's performance in that subject.

For the time being (or until you can switch teachers), before a notification is given out - write out a draft essay and hand it in for your teacher to mark. As long as it's before the notification is given out, your teacher can't complain about unfairness regardless of whether they're marking it or not. I know it sounds tedious, but it's better than going in blind.
Its not an assignment draft, and yes, I'm just practising a general question I made up to make a draft essay for the assessment (its not an assignment, so). Generally, we are allowed to ask teachers for help with sentence structures, checking our quotes and techniques etc.

Fiction

HSC
Its not an assignment draft, and yes, I'm just practising a general question I made up to make a draft essay for the assessment (its not an assignment, so). Generally, we are allowed to ask teachers for help with sentence structures, checking our quotes and techniques etc.
o_O Tell your teacher next time he/she says that it's unfair for he/she not to mark your essay, that it's an unrelated essay therefore fair - and show them the quesiton you're answering to. There's nothing wrong with you handing in an essay for practise (as long as not assignment and such). I mean you doing that, is the equivalent of getting a science teacher to look over your notes - it doesn't affect your exam- like they're not giving you answers, other than making you potentially more prepared.

Maybe even go at lunch or free period and just ask her/ him to quickly scan over it or give a few pointers if you want a brief comment

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
o_O Tell your teacher next time he/she says that it's unfair for he/she not to mark your essay, that it's an unrelated essay therefore fair - and show them the quesiton you're answering to. There's nothing wrong with you handing in an essay for practise (as long as not assignment and such). I mean you doing that, is the equivalent of getting a science teacher to look over your notes - it doesn't affect your exam- like they're not giving you answers, other than making you potentially more prepared.

Maybe even go at lunch or free period and just ask her/ him to quickly scan over it or give a few pointers if you want a brief comment
Yeah, I'm looking into transferring to another English Advanced class. All she does is banter on, teaches pointless things from presentations and doesn't help provide constructive feedback to improve my essay writing.

For our assessments in English, we don't know the question - we can not possibly find out (unless we bribed them...I guess?), we can make guesses and practise random questions (just like you would for Economics, for example, you practise random essay questions)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)