Language of a speech (1 Viewer)

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Is it important to use inclusive language in a speech to engage the audience? I need to write a speech but I'm basically just writing an essay. Please tell me what I need to change to make it into a speech instead of essay.

ThreeSciences

HSC
As with any speech you must consider your audience - the classroom and the teacher. Put simply, the idea is to speak as you normally would, minus any slang as speeches are supposed to be formal (similar to how when your teacher explains something to you).

Don't use some cool sounding synonyms that nobody but your teacher will understand. Chances are that other students won't know what you're saying, thus reducing the chance that they will be included in the "conversation".

Act as though you are talking to them in first person by using words such as "you", "we" and "our" instead of simply dumping knowledge. The aim of this is to increase engagement, so with all of this in mind practice your speaking skills. Don't be monotone, but also don't try to put on a show and speak in an overly energetic manner (it's incredibly annoying for listeners).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel like you have answered your own question OP, if you need to write a speech, of course you need to change an essay into a speech and it is definitely recommended to have inclusive language to engage your audience.

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Thanks. Also, how many words per minute should I read a speech at?

DonnaN

HSC
N/A
Try to rehearse in front of the mirror and simply set timer. That should help you to decide how many words per minute is OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)