How to improve English essays??? (1 Viewer)

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
So basically I write essays which I think are good.. they get marked, turns out they are absolute trash.. I try my best to implement the marker's feedback but essays consistently stay trash..

And I can't judge how good my own essays are so even If I keep writing I don't think my marks will improve. what do?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Get someone to look over your essay and make more detailed comments on how to improve it

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Get someone to look over your essay and make more detailed comments on how to improve it
yea but who??? the person would most likely demand money (which is understandable) but im not really willing to do that.

i cant improve my english essay without giving people money?????? lol... truly shows u what a fked subject it is.. I am legit truly determined to improve but I need external help........

Jakulore

HSC
You could have your teacher or another teacher look over it? Before an assessment I always hand in practice essays and seek feedback.

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
You could have your teacher or another teacher look over it? Before an assessment I always hand in practice essays and seek feedback.
I have done that but the teacher didn't give very helpful feedback. Now I know every student probably says this but I've always handed in shit before assessment, implemented the teacher's recommendations but still shit mark.

Jakulore

HSC
Yeah but you could possibly get a different teacher to look at it?

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Yeah but you could possibly get a different teacher to look at it?
Don't think that's possible. Because if I tell other HSC teachers to look at it, they will tell me to ask my own teacher. The other teachers have their own students submitting them work already

Jakulore

HSC
I'm sure that some or at least one would be willing to, I have my teacher and the head teacher look at my assessments and then my teacher sends my work to a teacher she knows that works at another school to ensure that no bias goes into the feedback. When there is a will there is a way!

myu85

HSC
So basically I write essays which I think are good.. they get marked, turns out they are absolute trash..
Most likely neither of these assessments is completely true. I find it hard to believe you're producing absolute trash if you are trying. Let's forget about your own writing for a moment; what does a good essay in general look like? What does it really do? If you don't know answers to those questions that can help you right away, then you should get someone who knows to tell you. And it would be worth paying something for if that person does actually know how to tell you.

sca1een

HSC
N/A
I think the first thing you should do is talk to your teacher and ask what is wrong with your essays. Probably, there are problems with grammar. Probably, you failed to prove your thesis throughout the whole paper. Or probably, your essay just didn't meet the guidelines. But still, before making any conclusions, talk to your teacher.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I mean if you're unwilling to pay for essay marking it's definitely tricky as you could imagine even asking a friend in a higher class to mark your essay might require some form of compensation...

If you're worried that your teacher is not giving thorough feedback and teaching you how to apply it, make sure that next time you're writing an essay in class you directly ask her how to avoid doing this certain mistake and that might make the world of difference.

Other than that, it is sometimes possible to improve by just reading other people's band 6 essays so try and make some really nice friends who might be willing to give you a look at their essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)