Forced to drop to Standard by School (1 Viewer)

Bluee

HSC
I got a letter sent home today from my School this week saying that they have placed me in Standard at the beginning of Term 4.

A bit of background. Yes I have treated Adv English like a total bludge subject unforunately in comparision to subjects such as Phys, Chem and Maths. For my yearly I only wrote up my essays and creative 2 days before the test and started memorising them from then on, which I regret. I ended up getting 60% for my yearly and my rank is 114/170.

What should I do? Just agree with them and drop to Standard knowing that I could have done much better if I had put the hardwork in..

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Tell them getting a band 6 for english standard is really difficult and that you're better off getting a band 5 for english advanced than a band 6 for standard

Show them that you're actually commmited. Tell them of your study techniques and the mistakes you learnt in the prelim year and how you're going to improve on it in the HSC

Tell them if you flunk out in the first HSC assessment, they have a right to kick you out

If none help and you are still desperate for it, go to your year advisor and have a chat about it

If that still doesn't help have a chat to your school principal about the issue (and hope that your principal is a nice one, rather than a mean one who doesn't show consideration)

If that still doesn't help, take the issue out of school and contact an organisation like DET (if you go to a public school)

Last edited:

trecex1

HSC
I got a letter sent home today from my School saying that they have placed me in Standard at the beginning of Term 4 without my own consent. I am feeling quite upset over this decision made without me knowing.

Especially the fact I am receiving such a notice on the final day of the term without any earlier consultation and my own permission.

A bit of background. Yes I have treated Adv English like a total bludge subject unforunately in comparision to subjects such as Phys, Chem and Maths. For my yearly I only wrote up my essays and creative 2 days before the test and started memorising them from then on, which I regret. I ended up getting 60% for my yearly and my rank is 114/170.

In the letter the head teacher said stuff like "Your child is doing such a challenging course and believe they have been placed in the wrong course", "In order for him to meet the requirement of the HSC they will be placed in a Standard class" and "If this concern is not corrected it will have a very negative effect on their progress".

What should I do? Just agree with them and drop to Standard knowing that I could have done much better if I had put the hardwork in..
You should do advanced if you care about your hsc (and atar)

trecex1

HSC
You just don't get I am being forced to drop down to Standard if you had read my post.
If you're being forced then nothing you can do about it so what are you trying to ask? I literally just said you shouldn't do standard if it's possible.

Bluee

HSC
Tell them getting a band 6 for english standard is really difficult and that you're better off getting a band 5 for english advanced than a band 6 for standard
Tried that and it didn't work..

Show them that you're actually commmited. Tell them of your study techniques and the mistakes you learnt in the prelim year and how you're going to improve on it in the HSC
Staright after getting back my exam results, she says I am intelligent in that I come up with interesting points and arguments in class but says I am not commited and don't put in effort. She told me to drop down instead and corresponded that to the Head Teacher.

Tell them if you flunk out in the first HSC assessment, they have a right to kick you out

If none help and you are still desperate for it, go to your year advisor and have a chat about it

If that still doesn't help have a chat to your school principal about the issue (and hope that your principal is a nice one, rather than a mean one who doesn't show consideration)
I will try the above.

However I got sent a letter on the last day of school after coming back home basically just today saying that they already put me in the Standard class. Now there is 2 week gap becuase of the Holidays and I wont be able to properly consult with them. The next day I come back its start of HSC. It all just seems to have been all planned against me, even though this may not be the case.

Bluee

HSC
If you're being forced then nothing you can do about it so what are you trying to ask? I literally just said you shouldn't do standard if it's possible.
I had like to be frank, your previous post wasn't helpful in terms of my situation and neither did you make it clear.

I am well ware that there are more advantages of staying in Advanced than doing Standard. But this was not my point.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
What you should do is to avoid being relegated to Standard; if you quietly accept, then your goose is cooked. What you should do is, perhaps with your parent(s) approach the school/teacher to put up a good case for allowing you to retain your Advanced. Maybe you can explain why you were not faring too well before and to pledge to work a lot harder next time to justify your case. It also helps if you have been doing well in your other subjects. You are fighting for your interest. Your head teacher/school may be fighting for their own interest like making sure you do not pull down the school's performance in Advanced English. On the other hand, your Head teacher may be genuinely concerned for you, that you may sub-perform to the detriment of your ATAR, say. I suppose this is like the case of many students being "invited" to drop to General from 2U Maths - I myself often wondered about the wisdom of such practice.

But you also have to be realistically sure, if given a second chance, you will be able to do much better. If you succeed in your appeal, you should take your Adv English more seriously.

Last edited:

Bluee

HSC
What you should do is to avoid being relegated to Standard; if you quietly accept, then your goose is cooked. What you should do is, perhaps with your parent(s) approach the school/teacher to put up a good case for allowing you to retain your Advanced. Maybe you can explain why you were not faring too well before and to pledge to work a lot harder next time to justify your case. It also helps if you have been doing well in your other subjects. You are fighting for your interest. Your head teacher/school may be fighting for their own interest like making sure you do not pull down the school's performance in Advanced English. On the other hand, your Head teacher may be genuinely concerned for you, that you may sub-perform to the detriment of your ATAR, say. I suppose this is like the case of many students being "invited" to drop to General from 2U Maths - I myself often wondered about the wisdom of such practice.

But you also have to be realistically sure, if given a second chance, you will be able to do much better. If you succeed in your appeal, you should take your Adv English more seriously.
Thanks for all the advice and I will try my best. Other than that I have to actually work hard in English from now. This letter was more of a wake up call for me. Which is good in a way.

I just don't like how this was all done in surreptitious way on the school's part. Sending me a letter home on the last day of term of their intention to drop me to Standard. It all just seems perfectly planned so I can't go to them next week and argue about this. Its pathetic.

Problem at my school is that nearly everyone chose to do Advanced and there are 8 classes in total. Whereas there are only 3 classes doing Standard. So I think they want most people to drop down to make the classes more even of each level.

Bluee

HSC
I am worried that they will keep holding me hostage and end up forcing me into Standard. I just feel it isn't right to force a student to drop a subject so suddenly without any prior consultation or permission from the student/parents themselves. They have no rights to infringe upon my education and HSC like this.

I could have studied after coming back home today but was in no mood to do so because of this. This has been bugging me ever since.

Now I don't know what to do and feel so hopeless.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I am worried that they will keep holding me hostage and end up forcing me into Standard. I just feel it isn't right to force a student to drop a subject so suddenly without any prior consultation or permission from the student/parents themselves. They have no rights to infringe upon my education and HSC like this.

I could have studied after coming back home today but was in no mood to do so because of this. This has been bugging me ever since.

Now I don't know what to do and feel so hopeless.
They do it because they want their school results to look better and the more people that do worse, the more it drags everyone else down. They're just thinking of the rest of the cohort when they make their decision, but you might as well try to convince them.

Flop21

HSC
Your comment was pointless. Why are you asking what is he trying to ask when he literally says in the post his situation? Then you post a comment that doesn't answer those concerns at all.

trecex1

HSC
Your comment was pointless. Why are you asking what is he trying to ask when he literally says in the post his situation? Then you post a comment that doesn't answer those concerns at all.
Uh, he asked whether he should agree with his school's decision, I thought it's pretty clear from my original comment that I'm saying he obviously shouldn't and try to do advanced? If he is being forced to then it isn't up to him, so yes there isn't really more to ask. He should do advanced, but if he can't then it's the end of the story. And please tell me how your comment isn't pointless?

Bluee

HSC
Uh, he asked whether he should agree with his school's decision, I thought it's pretty clear from my original comment that I'm saying he obviously shouldn't and try to do advanced? If he is being forced to then it isn't up to him, so yes there isn't really more to ask. He should do advanced, but if he can't then it's the end of the story. And please tell me how your comment isn't pointless?
Me saying whether I should agree with the school's decision was intended to be rhetorical. However you did not understand this. I was asking what should I do in terms of staying in Advanced. I don't think it was clear enough for you.

Stop trying to spin what you meant. I am sure you had good intentions but either way what you said is pointless in terms of my situation.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
They do it because they want their school results to look better and the more people that do worse, the more it drags everyone else down. They're just thinking of the rest of the cohort when they make their decision, but you might as well try to convince them.
^this

Basically you need to show commitment to learning and prove to them that by trying harder, you'll do well

Some schools give 2 craps about their school and how one student will drag the rest down and some schools don't care at all but they are more considerate and want to give students the chance to sit the course in school

Bluee

HSC
^this

Basically you need to show commitment to learning and prove to them that by trying harder, you'll do well

Some schools give 2 craps about their school and how one student will drag the rest down and some schools don't care at all but they are more considerate and want to give students the chance to sit the course in school
Sounds right becuase our school is one of the top public schools in the state besides all the selective schools. From what you said Schools don't seem to be concerned about the wellbeing and interests of the individual students themselves.

They can't bully me into droping down like this. I am in Advanced becuase I got a High in Yr 10 and they put me into it, let alone I got recommended into it by my teacher from last year. Its not my fault entirely that I am doing it.

If they were concerned about students like me dragging everyone down than they shouldn't have put us into Advanced in the first place prior to Yr 11.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Sounds right becuase our school is one of the top public schools in the state besides all the selective schools. From what you said Schools don't seem to be concerned about the wellbeing and interests of the individual students themselves.

They can't bully me into droping down like this. I am in Advanced becuase I got a High in Yr 10 and they put me into it, let alone I got recommended into it by my teacher from last year. Its not my fault entirely that I am doing it.

If they were concerned about students like me dragging everyone down than they shouldn't have put us into Advanced in the first place prior to Yr 11.
how many ppl got dropped from advanced to standard

Bluee

HSC
One thing I am not getting from here, like isn't the school breaking any kind of rule when their forcing me to drop? Wouldn't I be able to get support from the Board of Studies or even the Department of Education to reverse this decision?

Isn't Advanced onsidered an entirely different course from Standard, just as how Physics is a different course from Biology? Wouldn't I need to sign a drop out form with my stage head teacher at school in order to change from Standard to Advanced as they are two different subjects? I realistically don't know how they can force me to drop.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

I said some and vice versa

But yeah if it's affecting you mentally, some school would care and some won't

Assuming you go to a school where the teachers care about the cohort average, this is what I'd do (I'm assuming for yr 12 all the classes do the same texts)

Every week dedicate some time either before school or after school with the top english students in your school where they teach you and help you out with essays and creatives and such and by doing so you will improve your english marks through editing, re-editing and putting in more effort

Furthermore, as a group you will discuss ideas and such and you will all know how to improve from each other

Only problem is that it requires commitment from other students in order to make it work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)