What English Related Texts are not allowed for YR 12 HSC (1 Viewer)

Furfie2000

HSC
I'm going into Year 12 in a week, and wondering, which texts for "Discovery" are not allowed to be used as a related text? I'm oding Advanced if that matters.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'm going into Year 12 in a week, and wondering, which texts for "Discovery" are not allowed to be used as a related text? I'm oding Advanced if that matters.
I think you can do any text as a related (including current prescribed texts)

Also for a related text, they recommend you do a related text with a different medium: for example, if you do the tempest, the related text could be anything but a play/shakespearean drama

If you are doing life of pi, you could do anything but a movie

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I think you can do any text as a related (including current prescribed texts)

Also for a related text, they recommend you do a related text with a different medium: for example, if you do the tempest, the related text could be anything but a play/shakespearean drama

If you are doing life of pi, you could do anything but a movie
I don't think using a prescribed text as a related text is worth the risk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also some schools may place restriction on related texts that your cohort have studied previously.

Furfie2000

HSC
Thanks for the helpful answer. Where would one find the list of prescribed texts? Is it different for each school (so I'd have to consult my school about it) or is there like a BOSTES document listing everything?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
I don't think using a prescribed text as a related text is worth the risk
I'm using a prescribed text from english extension as my discovery related - it is allowed, but is highly frowned upon. Markers are told not to judge students and penalise them for this, but many still have that mindset that the student 'didn't do enough work'. I personally get so much more out of this text than others and am not looking for a high english mark so i'm taking the risk, but its not for everyone.

HSC
I realised that my related was on the standard prescribed list (paper 2) on the morning before my HSC paper 1 exam. I completely freaked out and told my teacher (senior HSC English marker) and she said although the markers do prefer you not using a prescribed, you won't lose marks unless you do it EXCEPTIONALLY WELL!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I realised that my related was on the standard prescribed list (paper 2) on the morning before my HSC paper 1 exam. I completely freaked out and told my teacher (senior HSC English marker) and she said although the markers do prefer you not using a prescribed, you won't lose marks unless you do it EXCEPTIONALLY WELL!
So you'll lose marks for doing it exceptionally well?

ALawrence

HSC
re related texts in general: find something in a different text type to your core text. i.e. if you're studying a novel, do a film/poem/short story/short film, etc., for your related. try to avoid using texts from other subjects/modules because unless done very well, it can come across as lazy. good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Sir

HSC
N/A
I have been showing my students this message on the frequently asked questions on BOSTES website re related text.

RELATED TEXTS
What are related texts?
Some modules in Stage 6 English courses require students to study texts of their own choosing, in addition to their prescribed texts. The study of these ‘related’ texts provides students with the opportunity to explore a wider variety of texts related to the particular module. Students draw their chosen texts from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media.

How should related texts be selected?
In Stage 6 English courses, it is expected that students will take responsibility for the selection and study of related texts. While teachers may provide advice and guidance, student skills in independent analysis and investigation and their growing independence as learners will be strengthened through their own selection and study of related texts.

Can a text from the HSC Prescribed Texts list be used as a related text?
Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)