How do HSC markers check for plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
As the title suggests, how do HSC English markers check for plagiarism in English? How would they know that the essay written is not copied from directly someone else?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I wonder this too because they can't use plagiarism checkers because it's just a scanned copy and heaps of people write really messily

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I wonder this too because they can't use plagiarism checkers because it's just a scanned copy and heaps of people write really messily
If technology is good enough / if they are willing to invest in it, they could use things like image recognition / machine learning to try and compare to past exam responses on a database or other resources, but I'm guessing they don't do this.

trecex1

HSC
They can't unless, they read a similar essay (e.g if you copy your classmate's essay that he/she was planning to use). Highly doubt they even have time to do these kinds of checks, considering they need to get through 100,000+ essays

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
They can't unless, they read a similar essay (e.g if you copy your classmate's essay that he/she was planning to use). Highly doubt they even have time to do these kinds of checks, considering they need to get through 100,000+ essays
Hypothetically speaking, they could try and get a computer to help do these via Machine Learning algorithms etc. (so they don't need to spend personal time doing it by hand etc.) if they use scanned copies of essays. But I'm guessing they don't.

enoilgam

HSC
As the title suggests, how do HSC English markers check for plagiarism in English? How would they know that the essay written is not copied from directly someone else?
Put simply, they dont check for plagiarism because the task is impractical due to the following factors:

- Papers are marked very quickly
- Markers check a high volume of papers
- There is a large team who marks each specific paper
- They do not have the technology to scan papers like Turnitin

So realistically, plagiarism is a lucky find as far as the marking centre is concerned. In order to get caught, two similar papers would need to be marked by the same person and they would need to remember both papers out of the hundreds if not thousands they have reviewed. If you have plagiarised from a textbook, then your chances of getting caught are higher especially if the marker is familiar with it.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Its very disappointing that they don't have very good precautions for plagiarism. The general consensus I have heard from students is "Just copy body paragraphs from 2-3 band 6 essays and you are set". This doesn't reflect all students but quite a large group.

fuzionx3

HSC
Can anyone provide an update on this? Apparently TurnItIn has been implemented this year

Tzuyu

HSC
Our teachers are hsc markers and they've said even if a marker sees the exact same paper they won't bother to do anything

but this shouldn't promote plagiarism lmao

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)