My Current situation regarding Standard English... (1 Viewer)

Kalchimy123

HSC
Sooooo...

I'm doing my preliminary's this year, and really freakin worried about standard English and my ATAR.

I was wondering if there is any possibility of moving up to advanced, under the circumstances that I didn't really do well in the first test,
but smash every other test in the year.

(got 10/20, highest in the class lol. Not sure about other standard classes in the cohort)

This kinda saddens, and pisses me off to an extent though, cause I actually got offered Extension 1 English for my subjects selection form in year 10, but personal shit happened, and now I can't even do advanced. (This was before I knew standard English was an ATAR killer)

lfisher

HSC
According to Matrix Education getting a 99 percentile mark in standard is less than a 75 percentile mark in advanced

Mathew587

HSC
Sooooo...

I'm doing my preliminary's this year, and really freakin worried about standard English and my ATAR.

I was wondering if there is any possibility of moving up to advanced, under the circumstances that I didn't really do well in the first test,
but smash every other test in the year.

(got 10/20, highest in the class lol. Not sure about other standard classes in the cohort)

This kinda saddens, and pisses me off to an extent though, cause I actually got offered Extension 1 English for my subjects selection form in year 10, but personal shit happened, and now I can't even do advanced. (This was before I knew standard English was an ATAR killer)
They'll never let you move up whatever you do because it's impossible once you choose your subjects. You can only move down
The only thing you can do is ace standard and tbh 10/20 isn't good, no matter what school you go to.

That statistic by matrix is misleading as sure most people don't do well in standard. But that's because those who do standard are poor in English. It doesn't matter what you do because as long as you get a band 6, it's the same as a band 6 in advanced.
This is coming from someone who got offered the eng ext course but didn't do it and now has a 98 course mark in English advanced.
Regrets...

Kalchimy123

HSC
So by acing, you mean, getting full marks with every English task in year 12?

Can they still pull your hsc down even if you ace Standard English?.

Mathew587

HSC
So by acing, you mean, getting full marks with every English task in year 12?

Can they still pull your hsc down even if you ace Standard English?.
Get a band 6 meaning 90+ and you'll be fine. If you want more detail, use an atar calculator and type around and see what you would get compared to English advanced.

Constantine

HSC
Since you are in Year 11 and you are topping the class, there's a good chance your school might let you move up to English Advanced. Definitely ask, show your enthusiasm and that you are willing to work hard. Some schools are quite bad at this and won't let students move up if they think you will be dragging the cohort down but who knows.

Based on what I've heard, it's better to TOP in General than to do average in advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)