Need Help Choosing Level for English (1 Viewer)

Starrydust

HSC
Hi.

<Main informations are in red>

I am currently in year 10, and I attend Fort Street High School.
In a few weeks time, I have to select the subject that I want to study, and as english is a compulsory subject, I need to choose it.
However, the problem lies here. I have no idea of what the level of english would be for the general, advanced (is advanced english 2 unit english?) and extension.
I was thinking about doing 2 unit english, since it seemed common, but a while ago, I heard that it was quite hard...?
I don't actually want to do general english, since that is kind of... embarrassing(?), but if 2 unit english is to hard, than that would be a bigger problem than a little and short embarrassment.
Also, I personally think that I am more of a maths person than an english person.

So the main point of what I am asking is: How hard is 2 unit english? How much harder is 2 unit compared to general english? Is 2 unit english commonly chosen?

Thanks!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi.

In a few weeks time, I have to select the subject that I want to study, and as english is a compulsory subject, I need to choose it.
However, the problem lies here. I have no idea of what the level of english would be for the general, advanced (is advanced english 2 unit english?) and extension.
I was thinking about doing 2 unit english, since it seemed common, but a while ago, I heard that it was quite hard...?
I don't actually want to do general english, since that is kind of... embarrassing(?), but if 2 unit english is to hard, than that would be a bigger problem than a little and short embarrassment.
Also, I personally think that I am more of a maths person than an english person.

So the main point of what I am asking is: How hard is 2 unit english? How much harder is 2 unit compared to general english? Is 2 unit english commonly chosen?

Thanks!
Hey,

Standard and Advanced are both 2 unit subjects. Considering you're not an English person, I would not recommend Extension.

However, considering you are attending a selective school, you must have somewhat of an ability in English and I believe Advanced would be your best option. It's really not that difficult. It's a matter of reading texts, finding techniques that you'll have learnt about along the way and refining essays through feedback. Standard is pretty much the same, yet it scales a lot worse and is harder to get a band 6 in (go figure).

Honestly, it's not embarrassing to do Standard - and even if it was, no-one is gonna hate on you for it and the HSC matters more than the opinion of the peers you're going to be having for 2 years. However, I don't think Standard and Advanced are really that different, and doing well in Advanced is easily achievable through refining your essays and communicating well with your teacher.

Even if you were to find Advanced hard, you can drop to Standard anytime you like anyway.

So yeah, I recommend Advanced.

All the best :)

andrew12678

HSC
Just do Advanced and don't look back! Getting a B6 in Standard is apparently harder than getting one in Advanced anyways lmao.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a band 5/6 is easier in Advanced due to aligning purposes. Standard/Advanced, are of similar difficulty so if you are trying to go for the easier one, then there is little point.

highshill

HSC
general ? i think you may be talking about standard then, their is no diference between advanced and standard, the only difference is the texts the texts in standard are easier compared to advanced both however require the same depth of analytical paragraphs, they are scalled equally but you may be scalled down in standard if your your cohort class performs low, however that being said there are some people who have scored band 6 in their standard class. advanced demands more complicated texts. but if you are bad in english it more convinent to do standard as you may not perform well in advanced texts. but that being said it ony the differences of text so it makes none of the englishs an easier option. if yu pwrform estremely low then english general/standard is for you if you perform medium or high than give advanced a go, if you a scwred what option to choose then pick advanced and if you struggle then just drop to standard. sorry i cant help you in extension because i dont do it sorry,

hope this helped

bujolover

HSC
Hi.

Thanks!
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I've actually heard that Standard is not necessarily "harder" to get a Band 6 in than Advanced; it's just that people who are less capable in English do it and hence get lower marks anyway. Also, I think Standard's marking "standards" might be high, since it's a low-rigour course, and hence they don't really want to give Band 6's to every student who does even remotely well (because there would probably be a fair few)- they want to save Band 6's for the real good 'uns. But all technical stuff aside, I think Standard is basically the same as Advanced, except it's slightly less rigorous. Like, I think it's less analytical than it is descriptive, apparently.
Honestly, I'm not an English-oriented person at all either (I mean, I did not want to do any humanities subjects for that reason), but I do Extension English, and it's not even that hard. So no way is Advanced that hard. Therefore, do Advanced at least.

BTW, no offence intended, but please get your terms correct. As boredofstudiesuser1 mentioned, it's not "General" English- it's Standard; and Standard and Advanced are both 2-unit subjects.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I'm sure at selective schools make advanced english compulsory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)