Should i drop to standard (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
hi guys i have a wuestion by the start of year 12 should i drop to standard i am good in english but so far i only write band 5 essay no matter how much detail i put into it, but i ve heard that the standard classes have a really low scalling and the standard class do not perform very well, should i stick in advanced or move down to standard.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're writing band 5 essays in advanced stay in advanced, because getting a band 6 in standard is really rare like 1% of the nsw cohort and you practically are doing the same sort of stuff with the amount of essays you have to write

bujolover

HSC
hi guys i have a wuestion by the start of year 12 should i drop to standard i am good in english but so far i only write band 5 essay no matter how much detail i put into it, but i ve heard that the standard classes have a really low scalling and the standard class do not perform very well, should i stick in advanced or move down to standard.
Band 5 is good- now just work on fine-tuning your writing between now and Year 12 to get it up to Band 6. You honestly think all the people who get Band 6 in Advanced have always been good at writing?? Writing is a skill that needs to be improved- and doing Standard won't improve your chances of getting a Band 6 anyway. It's almost exactly the same thing as Advanced, but slightly less rigorous. Standard doesn't have low scaling - it has low alignment. It's only hard to get a Band 6 in it because it's supposed to be so easy, that if it was marked like Advanced, then heaps of people would get Band 6. Hence, only the very best get a Band 6.

TL;DR: Keep Advanced.

highshill

HSC
So does this mean I can achieve a band 6 if I really practice hard but any tips how do I make up a question

highshill

HSC
Do you have any links please if not it's completely fine I'll ask my teacher

highshill

HSC
Like the texts,it's critical study of text Dracula currently, compartive studies of text slum dog millionaire and the fifthieth gate, Area of study was immigrant chronicles and this term will be representation of texts othello. Hope I answered your question and didn't confuse you if I did I am really sorry.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah don't drop. You can't really base your year 12 marks off year 11 because (in my experience) the teachers marked differently and the texts in year 12 you might be really good/bad at. For standard as jazz said only like 100 or less people get a B6 while advanced has much more. Standard you need like 90 raw to get a b6 while advanced you need 80 or so.

highshill

HSC
Okay then I will stay in advanced thanks for changing my mind guys.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Okay then I will stay in advanced thanks for changing my mind guys.
Good decision, just work on your essay and sentence structure. Read a lot of exemplar responses off ARC and BOSTES standard material so you know how to structure analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)