Fort Street year 11 entrance exam Quick Question. (1 Viewer)

Z0

HSC
N/A
My Fort Street year 11 entrance exam is tommorow.
The selection test comprises:
Part 1: English test - extended response based on stimulus materials (45 minutes in duration)
Part 2: Mathematics test - numeracy including content at Year 10 Advanced Mathematics Syllabus level (45 minutes in duration)

Is the english section requesting for myself to write a narrative based on a stimulus presented by the school?
Or is this writing evaluating and analysing a text, if so how could i prepare for this and what should I expect?
The maths test as well it seems the maths section will be my downfall

Thanks for any help

Jolteon

HSC
Hey so I'm pretty sure I've made a post about this somewhere but I'm not sure where that went either LOL
Anyways, for English, it usually has something to do with politics and when I did it last year, there were no narratives or creatives
Instead you read an article and formulate some sort of response regarding your opinion and from memory there should be a comprehension with short answer responses

In case, the best way to study imo is by reading up and catching up on political affairs and issues in the media

For Maths, 45 minutes is actually quite short for the amount of questions they give and I remember struggling to finish so imo, the best way to study for that is by visiting THSC and maybe doing some of the past FSHS Year 10 yearly/half yearly exams.

In any case, best of luck !! :)

Edit: Found my old post on another candidate's thread about the fort street exam

Maths: The biggest issue for me the content because the exam covered topics that I haven't studied or learnt yet so that was a big issue for me but with tutoring and whatnot, some would say it was okay. Also, time management was a serious problem for me (if i remember correctly, it was around 40 minutes)

From memory, the exam should have a few multiple choice questions and it's quite similar to a semester/half yearly exam so the layout shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

English: Politics. The stimulus I received had things to do with politics and the comprehension was an article on political affairs so my advice would be to read some current affairs and maybe brush up on some terminology because that would make your essay pop!

Anyways, goodluck for the exam and if you're super serious about it, i would recommend you going on THSC and maybe do some Year 10 Fort Street semester exams to familiarize yourself with their style and the questions they tend to put in, and for English, just brush up on media.

Last edited:

Z0

HSC
N/A
Hey so I'm pretty sure I've made a post about this somewhere but I'm not sure where that went either LOL
Anyways, for English, it usually has something to do with politics and when I did it last year, there were no narratives or creatives
Instead you read an article and formulate some sort of response regarding your opinion and from memory there should be a comprehension with short answer responses

In case, the best way to study imo is by reading up and catching up on political affairs and issues in the media

For Maths, 45 minutes is actually quite short for the amount of questions they give and I remember struggling to finish so imo, the best way to study for that is by visiting THSC and maybe doing some of the past FSHS Year 10 yearly/half yearly exams.

In any case, best of luck !! :)

Edit: Found my old post on another candidate's thread about the fort street exam

Maths: The biggest issue for me the content because the exam covered topics that I haven't studied or learnt yet so that was a big issue for me but with tutoring and whatnot, some would say it was okay. Also, time management was a serious problem for me (if i remember correctly, it was around 40 minutes)

From memory, the exam should have a few multiple choice questions and it's quite similar to a semester/half yearly exam so the layout shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

English: Politics. The stimulus I received had things to do with politics and the comprehension was an article on political affairs so my advice would be to read some current affairs and maybe brush up on some terminology because that would make your essay pop!

Anyways, goodluck for the exam and if you're super serious about it, i would recommend you going on THSC and maybe do some Year 10 Fort Street semester exams to familiarize yourself with their style and the questions they tend to put in, and for English, just brush up on media.
Any idea i could cite sources of a "Year 10 Fort Street semester exams" past paper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)