Thread: Creatives vs. Essays?

HSC

Question Creatives vs. Essays?

In Advanced so far, every piece I’ve written has been a creative. I enjoy writing creatives more than essays. I’m worried that I’m focusing too much on creative pieces and that I’ll encounter a question in an exam that is better suited to be answered with an essay. I’ve expressed this to my teacher and they’ve said something about how the new syllabus wants more unique responses to questions now, and that a well-done creative can be just as good as someone who chose to write a well-done essay.

Is this true? Is this how the new syllabus works? Should I be practicing writing essays and getting feedback?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Creatives vs. Essays?

Essays are still very much the core of English, so I'd say focus on that. It may also help you more with other subjects. Though it's good you enjoy creatives, a lot of people such as myself hate them.
    Last edited by phat_tar; 17 Feb 2018 at 4:18 PM.
    HSC 2017 - 99.85 Business Studies (97) Modern History (96) SORII (96) English Advanced (95) Economics (94) Mathematics Extension I (47) Mathematics (94)

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Creatives vs. Essays?

I think essays.
    Pretty much the whole reason I think English should NOT be compulsory revolves around the subject being creative writing and literature-based.
    The syllabuses should try to focus on the practical bits AND also reduce language and literary techniques, especially in the lower Standard level.
    Creative writing should NOT be compulsory.

Thread Information