English Adv vs English Standard (1 Viewer)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kristy_lee26 said:
According to the bored of studies scaling English Adv and Stan rank the same , was i better off doing standard
Yeah, sure, if you made sure you were one of the two students in the state to get a Band 6 in Standard, or one of the 1.5% who got a band 5.

DanielleM

HSC
this has been done so very many times before.
Thanks for the info :)

yes, I do standard english and have ranked 1st in year 11 and year 12
so I might be in for that band 5 or 6 ;)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kristy_lee26 said:
yeah but my friend came top in standard for the trial and got the same mark as the top in advanced
That doesn't mean much, because the aligning for the Standard Modules paper is clearly screwed. It seems as though you have to hammer every essay in the paper (I'm talking like 17+/20) to even have a shot at a Band 6. Not so with Advanced, in which a raw mark of I think 73/105 one year translated into a Band 5.

Why? Because the common AOS paper dramatically affects the distribution of Standard/Advanced marks.

The UAC scaling, however, is the same. So as long as you don't care about that shiny Band 5/6 on your HSC Certificate, it mightn't mean much.

Last edited:

kristy_lee26

HSC
thanks for that link, but i still think this is all stupid. I mean i was told that i should do Advanced so i choose to and while i am ranked 3rd i hate english and always go crap, so basically i am going to get a crap HSC mark, why didn't my teacher tell me about this before telling me to Adv. I have now waisted to years on Shakespheare etc when i could have chosen standard and avoided it all

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Yep i do standard i came first year 11 and 12. My teacher keeps saying im her "great white hope" and maybe i'll be the only person in my schools history to get a band 6 for Standard English. hahahaha fat chance i say

mimiian

HSC
if you get good marks in standard, it doesn't matter. but i heard it's really really extremely hard to get band 6 for standard english.

A l

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot kadlil, for giving my thread heaps of publicity when it comes to these types of issues! ;)

nwatts

HSC
A l said:
Thanks a lot kadlil, for giving my thread heaps of publicity when it comes to these types of issues! ;)
Hey, you've written really informative stuff. It is deserving of ample pimping!

jessimica

It looks better if you have done adv english and it does get ranked higher then stand, hello its harder.

nwatts

HSC
jessimica said:
It looks better if you have done adv english and it does get ranked higher then stand, hello its harder.
Did you read anything before replying?

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
The only reason why students in the past havn't achieved those marks more often is because they're usually in English Advanced. Luckily for me, I was an extension-capable student, but since the classes were full, i'd rather get a 90+ in standard than a band 4 in advanced.
If you're extension capable you shouldn't be getting a band 4 in Advanced.

Snow_dog

HSC
actaulla half the ppl in my school in yr 11/12 did just as well as advanced in all the exams throughout the year... probably because they actually tried whereas in younger years they ddint bother.

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Well, perhaps not, but it is harder to achieve such a mark than it would be in Standard. I think the main problem is the complacency that students in Standard have. Its obvious that the dumbest, laziest students in years 11/12 are placed in Standard, hence the reason why they don't perform as well as the Advanced students.
No, it's actually not.

In Advanced you're taught how to answer Paper 1 so you'll whip Standard students. Essentially Paper 2 is marked so Standard/Advanceds students have equal chance of 60/60 (ie, Advanced 20 =/= Standard 20 in terms of quality). The Area of Study exam evens things out, because Standard students simply aren't taught to answer it in order to get full marks.

Your understanding of intertextuality (no personal attacks here) is a testament to such.

Snow_dog

HSC
yeh and now they are preforming aswell as advanced kids.. eg is the secodn bottom standard class had top kids that got better marks than advanced kids.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
The only reason why students in the past havn't achieved those marks more often is because they're usually in English Advanced. Luckily for me, I was an extension-capable student, but since the classes were full, i'd rather get a 90+ in standard than a band 4 in advanced.
No, I'm sorry, I have a VERY difficult time believing that out of ~30,000 Standard students only 3 or so are capable of a Band 6, and that only a small amount are capable of a Band 5. It simply defies chance. Clearly, what's expected of Standard students, RELATIVE to Advanced students, is not feasible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)