Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing Text Essays Help Me!!!!

HSC

Writing Text Essays Help Me!!!!

Im sorry to take your time but im currently doing year 12 and i suck at text responses, \the novels im currently doing are Curious incident of the dog in the nightime, Romulus, my father, View from the bridge/all mysons and Lantana.

I would greatly appreciate any help thanks.

HSC

Re: Writing Text Essays Help Me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by omidjavidi
    Im sorry to take your time but im currently doing year 12 and i suck at text responses, \the novels im currently doing are Curious incident of the dog in the nightime, Romulus, my father, View from the bridge/all mysons and Lantana.

I would greatly appreciate any help thanks.
    go to google and type in essay writing tips

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by aodmjgnwpekignw
    go to google and type in essay writing tips
    Nah, i think i prefer tips from people who have actually finished year 12 and have done the exam. but thanks anyways.

HSC

haha thats fair enough man, id love to give you some tips, but i dont think my tips would exactly help.

i think tips from people who have done english 3/4 would be of more use, so yeah.

sorry dude
    Whooah, were half way there, Livin on a prayer

Class of 07, yeahhhahh

HSC

Its ok thanks anyways

HSC

If you have a textbook, refer to that. Also, your teacher will explain it to you if you need it. I'd advise you to read examples of English essays because that can be the most effective explaination.

The way we were taught was the basic 5 paragraph essay. That basically includes and intro, 3 points and a conclusion.

In your intro you give indication of how you are going to answer the essay question. Briefly go over your 3 main points and make sure to make a concise contention. A contention is your argument sumarised in one sentence.

Your 3 body paragraphs need to fully explain why you are arguing what you are arguing. They should be in logical order and must have a topic sentence which you need to keep to in order to avoid rambling off into strange tangents. Use evidence such as quotes and events of the text in order to strengthen your argument. Always link your argument back to your contention/ the topic. A good guideline is TEEL. That is, Topic Sentence, Explaination, Evidence and Link-back.

Your conclusion reitterates your main points and your contention. It cannot introduce new arguments. Often it will end on a powerful note.

HSC

Thank you heaps, that really helps, especially that TEEL thing thanks.

HSC

I never actively planned according to TEEL, or stuck to a definite structure like the '5 paragraph' thing, but in the course of my writing it'd always naturally come back to it, more or less, so I guess it's a good idea if you're not used to writing essays on the spur of the moment. I never did the whole 'topic sentence for every paragraph' thing we were taught, either, because it just took too much time to produce parts of the essay before the whole thing was forming in my mind, and it ended up sounding disjointed, though again, that might have just been me. Aim for a flowing, logical argument.

My best tip would have to be: plan. Plan.

...Plan.

You can't underestimate the power of a good plan.

Don't necessarily do it neatly, that's a waste of time - I would always spend the first five minutes scribbling down my point of view, then every single thing I could think of to support it in shorthand, then circle them/highlight them/draw arrows from them to a list of paragraphs, and adhere to it no matter what.

Also, teachers seem to love it when you can introduce and explain away counter-arguments. You know, like 'Some readers are left with the opinion that... however, when one looks at this part in the context of the entire novel, it becomes clear that...'

HSC

Thank you, appreciated.

HSC

oh yeah....prodigy said to think about your conclusion first before you write your essay.....by doing this u noe where u stand on the question

HSC

The best thing that I can recommend is to ask your teacher.
    They will want to help. When it gets up to text response essay time, get as many practise topics as you can related to the texts (which you can get from study guides, off the internet or especially from your teacher) and just write a few essays. Get your teacher to correct them, or even ask if the teacher can correct them in front you, which is epecially good because the teacher can then explain why things were wrong, and what better words, phrases, paragraphing, etc can be used instead. T
    hen just keep writing essays and getting your teacher to correct them. Teachers are generally happy to do this, because they love to have students (particuarly vce students) who actually care about their own marks and improvements, eespecially if you do well on SACs, the teacher will feel like they accomplished something with a student and will be even more willing to correct your work.
    And if you are unfortunate enough to be sprung with a crappy teacher with a bad attitude, try some of the other year 12 teachers for help.
    Finally, good luck, the best studying you can do is just constantly reading the books and writing essays (how ever tedious it can get), because most people who do well in year 12 english have put in the hard yards (I'm not just talking out of my hat, I got 42 in year 12 english last year and an A+ on the final exam, even though I used to get C's in year 11 english).

Cadet
    HSC

To all those people who rnt strong at english...........i would suggest that you memorise phrases that you are able to adapt into any essay.....For example
    "Vincent's steely determination allows him to transcend the fascist ideology propagated in the world of gattaca".

Although it's more beneficial learning the TEEL approach and other techniques to help improve writing skills, it always helps to go into an exam with some "ammunition", if u can call it that. I no im not strong at english and i did okay using this method.

HSC

thanks both of u and i can really relate to wat 'lostsoulee' sais, i got c's in year 11 for english too and now im in year 12, i hope i get an A+

HSC

dont worry bro, you will
    Whooah, were half way there, Livin on a prayer

Class of 07, yeahhhahh

Melbourne Private Tutor trishan's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Hey there,
    My marks in yr 11 English weren't that flash at all due to several reasons including my lack of interest. The point is, past succes or failure does not necessarily mean future success or failure. Just turn over a new leaf, start afresh and actively work to improve your writing. Source the reason for underaverage marks and work towards improving. I am living proof that average students in English can achieve highly. A song by Shannon Noll and that chick from Rogue Traders, (Natalie Basingthwaite?) comes to mind... DONT GIVE UP!

HSC

I have officially given up on english im just gonna try and get 50 for spec and methods and chem and accounting.

HSC

I have officially given up on english im just gonna try and get 50 for spec and methods and chem and accounting.
    lol ur a tool....no offence meant

HSC

prove me otherwise lol

HSC

It has to be one of your top four, so no matter how well you do in other stuff, a bad English mark will absolutely maul your ENTER.
    Case in point: had I achieved not 50 in English and 42 in Literature, and instead 20 for both, my ENTER would not have been 99.85 - according to SAM it would have been 95.40, so even though I still had two other 50s and a 46 to fill up the three other spots, it still killed my chances of getting into Melbourne law.

So study English. It's good for you.

HSC

I understand that, but whenever i try to practice essays i always get stuck (especially on language analysis) I would appreciate any tips on NOT getting stuck. =_=

HSC
    Uni Grad

Ask your teachers for help, get a tutor, ask your friends, look for VCE websites with tips and hints.

I tell my tutorees that when you get stuck, don't give up. Each time you battle and work through it, no matter how painstaking, you will get better and chances are you will not get stuck when things really matter.

HSC

Whenever you get stuck, take the half-finished essay/analysis to your teacher and have them go through it with you. I used to do that all the time.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I remember spending hours mulling over some pretty dubious essay topics. When you get stuck and can't write anything, it forces you to think about your text more deeply than you would if you had a straight forward essay. Sometimes you will find, especially with a private company's attempt at an essay topic, there is very little to cite as evidence of your stance. What's good about this is that you have to write in greater detail about specific textual references.

If you are struggling on a past VCAA exam essay topic, then this is cause for concern. It is when this happens that you have to see your teacher and sort out any problems you have.

The VCAA exams are usually a good indicator of the type of question that will appear at the end of the year. Unlike the private companies who create essay topics to challenge students, the VCAA is much more equitable.

The aims of their questions are to allow everyone to be able to say something and to ensure that people can take various approaches to answering. So, if you struggle with past VCAA topics; see your teacher.

HSC

Thanks guys , will do.

HSC

Thanks guys , will do.
    lol im just like you bro, i suck at English im a more of a quantitivative person xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information