Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Enzyme SACs

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Smile Enzyme SACs

    Okay...my biology class will be onto biochemical pathways next week! We will also be doing a SAC (practical) on enzymes on the same week. I have no idea what to expect as I have never done a practical on enzymes before. What could the task be? Any ideas? Has anyone ever done any experiments with enzymes in biology before? Any dissections? I ask because I completely mucked up my first SAC...and I need to get a really high mark for this one.

  2. #2
    Cadet Shawn of Mega64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Matthews View Post
    I completely mucked up my first SAC...and I need to get a really high mark for this one.
    We're in the same boat.

    Our first SAC was so incredible short that the smallest of mistakes completely compromised our final mark. All of the questions related to explaining the damn concept of osmosis in the potatoes were removed, leaving us to formulate the occurrence in graph form. Really.

    Section B likewise was so underwhelming and threw me off as we were told there would be a moderate amount of theory as well as multiple choice. Rather we were given a diagram of an extremely challenging plant cell with approximately 8,200 Endoplasmic Reticulum-looking organelles, microscope conversion (!) and of course a second diagram of the plasma membrane featuring an ion pump.

    Basically you could have attended the first week and a half of class and gotten an A+ in this silly SAC.

  3. #3
    Ancient Orator SylviaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Lidcombe
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    I did 3/4 bio last year. Our enzyme sac involved adding an enzyme to milk that causes it to curdle.

    One samle of milk was placed in icy water, another at room temperature water, and the other in hot water (the milk was in beakers, obviously). We had to investigate the effect of temperature on enzyme function etc.
    typical muslim:

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_paki123 View Post
    plus you wouldnt get stoned to death if you dont fornicate in the first place. Islam is a pure, clean religion, extreme actions such as having sex before marraige should have extreme punishments. Or are you that desperate that you cant hold your animal-like urge to root. Theres a reason humans and animals are different, do have more self-control. If one doesnt fornicate they dont get stoned, so i dont see the point of your video SylviaB.

  4. #4
    Cadet Peter Nguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    Anyone know how many SACs we get for BIO?
    And what they will be on?
    I had my osmosis/plasma membrane with the potato and dialysis tubing today.

  5. #5
    Ancient Orator SylviaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    HSC
    1998
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Lidcombe
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    Oh and with the one I mentioned, you heat the enzyme up afetr being cooled and it still worksm because it was inactivated, not denatured.
    typical muslim:

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_paki123 View Post
    plus you wouldnt get stoned to death if you dont fornicate in the first place. Islam is a pure, clean religion, extreme actions such as having sex before marraige should have extreme punishments. Or are you that desperate that you cant hold your animal-like urge to root. Theres a reason humans and animals are different, do have more self-control. If one doesnt fornicate they dont get stoned, so i dont see the point of your video SylviaB.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Leongatha, Victoria
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    4

    Smile Re: Enzyme SACs

    Ok
    So.
    Next week Monday we have our SAC on enzymes using the effects of the enzyme catalase on liver.
    I have no idea on the procedure, but i think it may involve pH levels.

    We did a practice SAC earlier on in the week with the effects of enzyme activity in apples.
    One piece was boiled, one kept in vinegar, one just normal.
    if you get that one, make sure you keep your pieces of apple small, and the same size. Also, cut them JUST BEFORE you need them, or else they'll start reacting with the oxygen before they're meant to!!

    hope that helps somewhat?

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    Our enzyme SAC will be about catalase in liver. We get liver to react with hydrogen peroxide in different temperatures and need to explain how temperatures affect the reaction rate. Basically just remember that hot temperatures denature enzymes but cold ones just inactivate them.




  8. #8
    Cadet Joker37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Enzyme SACs

    Quote Originally Posted by hollj View Post
    Our enzyme SAC will be about catalase in liver. We get liver to react with hydrogen peroxide in different temperatures and need to explain how temperatures affect the reaction rate. Basically just remember that hot temperatures denature enzymes but cold ones just inactivate them.



    Yes...that's what I did last week. I'm afraid you're one week too late...but thanks anyway!
    "No pressure, no diamonds"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •