Thread: Extended Practical Investigation - Projectile Motion - What's a good topic?

HSC
    N/A

Extended Practical Investigation - Projectile Motion - What's a good topic?

Hey guys,

Our EPI is coming up sometime soon, and I thought i was lucky to get in quick and reserve the topic which concerns the horizontal distance travelled of an object when it is launched at different angles to the horizontal.

Of course, you would measure the distance at every angry (with perhaps intervals of 5 degrees) and would come to the conclusion that 45 degress results in the furthest horizontal distance. Now thinking about it, it seems a little too simple for something in year 12 Physics. If i just produce a prac like this, then I think i'm going to be in a bit of trouble (in terms of not getting a good mark). I'm pretty sure our teacher wants us to do a Prac. where we identify a relationship between two things or atleast show that through our working out we can establish some sort of relationship, ie - being able to establish the spring constant K of a spring, if you get what i mean.

Basically, with the measuring the distance travelled at different angles, there isn't really much of a forumla to use or to be able to link anything together - all that i will find is that at 45 degrees the distance is the most.

Does anyone have some sort of topics to do, or have any ideas on something else i could do which doesn't neccessarily have to be very hard, but has some more thought behind it , that would allow me to come up with some sort of findings other than just stating that "at 45 degrees the horizontal distance travelled is the greatest".

Thanks for replies

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Extended Practical Investigation - Projectile Motion - What's a good topic?

Quote Originally Posted by krzysiek View Post
    Hey guys,

Our EPI is coming up sometime soon, and I thought i was lucky to get in quick and reserve the topic which concerns the horizontal distance travelled of an object when it is launched at different angles to the horizontal.

Of course, you would measure the distance at every angry (with perhaps intervals of 5 degrees) and would come to the conclusion that 45 degress results in the furthest horizontal distance. Now thinking about it, it seems a little too simple for something in year 12 Physics. If i just produce a prac like this, then I think i'm going to be in a bit of trouble (in terms of not getting a good mark). I'm pretty sure our teacher wants us to do a Prac. where we identify a relationship between two things or atleast show that through our working out we can establish some sort of relationship, ie - being able to establish the spring constant K of a spring, if you get what i mean.

Basically, with the measuring the distance travelled at different angles, there isn't really much of a forumla to use or to be able to link anything together - all that i will find is that at 45 degrees the distance is the most.

Does anyone have some sort of topics to do, or have any ideas on something else i could do which doesn't neccessarily have to be very hard, but has some more thought behind it , that would allow me to come up with some sort of findings other than just stating that "at 45 degrees the horizontal distance travelled is the greatest".

Thanks for replies
    Last year i did my report on balloons with water in them falling, i varied heights, masses and circumference (i think) and analysed terminal velocity. If u want more info ill see if i can find it

HSC
    N/A

Wow, that does sound like a pretty interesting topic. If you could post some more info that would be a great help mate!!

I just want to ensure whatever i do does have the ability to be researched extensively, and it seems that with the balloons there is plenty of room for research and as you said, if you can find a relationship between the circumference etc and the terminal velocity then thats almost all i would need i think, to satisfy my teachers requirements for a high mark.

Ill wait for some additional info, thanks a lot !

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by krzysiek View Post
    Wow, that does sound like a pretty interesting topic. If you could post some more info that would be a great help mate!!

I just want to ensure whatever i do does have the ability to be researched extensively, and it seems that with the balloons there is plenty of room for research and as you said, if you can find a relationship between the circumference etc and the terminal velocity then thats almost all i would need i think, to satisfy my teachers requirements for a high mark.

Ill wait for some additional info, thanks a lot !
    Yes, it does have the ability to be researched extensively. I actually analysed too many relationships (15 graphs and 17 pages total lol) and my teacher said it would have been better to do less but in more detail. First we did a prac on terminal velocity in class, i then repeated it in more detail for my SAC. Ill send you the prac but id rather not send my sac

whats your email address?
    Last edited by bIG dAN; 22 Feb 2009 at 8:59 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Will PM you my email address now mate, thanks a lot. Ill ask my teacher tomorrow if we are allowed to do this, as i'm not sure if this is what he meant as projectile motion.

HSC

Ey fellas, buttin in an a week or 2 late but iv got my EPI aswell this week an dan ya prac sounds dam good so was wonderin if ya could send it to me too? would be a big help man, cheers

HSC

Talking Re: Extended Practical Investigation - Projectile Motion - What's a good topic?

hey guys i am in the same boat as you and i was wondering if Dan could you send me you prac to as the one i was going to do was to complicated for the time that i have

cheers

Cadet
    HSC

talk to kryziek about it
    i dont have time to explain it all 3 times
    sorry

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by bIG dAN View Post
    talk to kryziek about it
    i dont have time to explain it all 3 times
    sorry

thanks anyway

Kryziek could you send me a copy of dans prac?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by bIG dAN View Post
    Last year i did my report on balloons with water in them falling, i varied heights, masses and circumference (i think) and analysed terminal velocity. If u want more info ill see if i can find it
    Hey bIG dAN, I was recently skimming through some internet pages when I came across this thread. At the moment I need to complete an investigation on Projectile Motion and was hoping if I too could grab some information off you regarding your physic projectile motion investigation on terminal velocity. Much appreciated...sorry I'm at least 8 months behind the last reply!

Cheers Again,

Phsyko

Thread Information