E.E.S Topic notes anyone? (1 Viewer)

goodrobo

HSC
Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone had any notes or good links about the following topics:
- Oxygen and Ozone
- Plates and Plate Boundaries
- Plate Tectonic Super Cycle
- Volcanoes
- Earthquakes
- Faults
- Stromatolites
- BIF's (Banded Iron Formations)
- Fossil Formation
- Evolution (yeh i thought i did ees not bio)
- Australian Geographic History
- Geologic Time
- The Cambrian "Events"
- Ediacara <--- Wat the heck is that!? Never heard of it..

Anyways if anyone can share notes that'd be mad cos sum are really hard to find and our teacher sleeps with his eyes open...sigh...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"E.E.S is not like geography... we look at stuff blowing up instead of conserving it. Biology is for developing cells and dummies...E.E.S is cooler...more death" :)

Cheers!

Cat_Orange

HSC
Hey, I'll give you what notes I have but I'm not entirely sure if all of them are exactly right. Oh yes, they might be a bit simplistic cos that's how my brain works - in simplistic ways. Sorry if they're not detailed enough.

Oxygen and Ozone
Initially: No oxygen = no ozone
BUT
- 3500 million years ago cyanobacteria began producing oxygen
- Initially oxygen produced precipitated sediments (eg BIF) and this continued til 1700 million years ago
THEN
- 2000 million years ago oxygen began accumulating in the atmosphere
THEREFORE
- So did ozone
SO
- By 1800 million years ago, there were high enough concentrated oxygen levels to produce enough concentrated ozone to protect life on earth

Plates and Plate Boundaries
It's a bit broad... is there any particular part you were after for this?

Plate Tectonic Super Cycle
I have this as a diagram, if you really want it I could scan it in for you.

Volcanoes and Earthquakes
Same as plate boundaries, anything in particular?

Faults
Same with Plate Tectonic Super Cycle

Stromatolites
I had to do this as a speech, unfortunately:

Stromatolites are one of the most ancient life forms that live today. Although they were most abundant in the Precambrian times, modern day stromatolites do exist. Typically they are found in hypersaline lakes and marine lagoons where the harsh conditions make sure that they are left to grow in peace.

Modern day stromatolites have been found in Australia, in the Hamelin Pools of Shark Bay in Western Australia. Here the water is twice as saline as usual sea water and as such animals that feed on bacteria and algae cannot tolerate such conditions. The stromatolites here grow slowly, less than a millimeter a year. But stromatolites have also been found in the Bahamas, thermal springs of Yellowstone National Park in America and even in lakes in Antarctica.

Ancient stromatolites were most abundant during pre-cambrian times. This is probably because there were no grazing animals for stromatolites to fall victim to. During this time, life primarily existed in the sea. The marine environment was much more stable and there was less risk from harsh radiation and, later on, oxygen. Although stromatolites were primitive cells, being prokaryotic, they lived in huge masses that formed widespread reefs.

Like plants, stromatolites use carbon dioxide to produce food and oxygen is given off as a waste gas. The Precambrian eons had an abundance of carbon dioxide and as such stromatolites flourished. But in the process they introduced large amounts of oxygen into the atmosphere. It is then suggested the introduction of oxygen was the next major step in the evolution of life as this gave form to eukaryotic cells. These cells are the basis of all multicellular animals and plants.

In fact, the decline in the abundance of stromatolites coincides approximately with the earliest multicellular animals. While not being direct proof, this does suggest that the evolution of such multicellular organisms (or at least those that ate cyanobacteria and algae) was responsible for the disappearance of stromatolites. This is the general theory for the disappearance of most stromatolites.

However, some scientists dismiss this claim because they say there is no fossil record of an increase in multicellular organisms. Some other theories about the decline of stromatolites include the occurrences of larger sediment accumulation, which would have been less suitable for stromatolites construction.

It is also suggested that there could have been an increase in nutrient levels that killed off the stromatolites, because they prefer habitats with low nutrient levels. However, it is not exactly known just how, or why, stromatolites declined. All we can do is hypothesize. Fossil stromatolites can be found all over Western Australia but the only remaining living ones are found in the costal regions. The likely reason for the decline in stromatolites in Western Australia is linked to the changing climate of the continent.

As water disappeared from the inland areas over the past few million years, the stromatolites were either covered by sediments and fossilized or simply just died off.While stromatolites are seemingly primitive organisms, they played a major role in our history of evolution.

BIF's (Banded Iron Formations)
BIF (layered rocks which are rich in iron and silica)
- Occured during Proterozoic Eon
- Deposited in shallow marine condtions on continental crust (200-300m below sea level)
- Ironstone bands typically 2-20mm
- Banding due to alternate cycling in amount of oxygen and iron dissolved in sea water
PROCESS
Iron in Fe2+ form soluble in water (Fe originated possible from fumaroles)
Oxygen reacts with Fe2+ to provide insoluable Fe3+
Concentration of iron and oxygen varies over time hence the variation in band thickness.

Fossil Formation
Body Fossils
1. Complete preservation
e.g a) mummified humans in peat bog
b) mammoths in ice
2. Partial
e.g bones, teeth, shells, etc

Altered Fossils
a) Permineralisation/petrification
- Bones, trees are porous. Groundwater permiates. Silica carbonate from water causing bone/wood to become solid stone.
b) Recrystallisation
- Unstable minerals replaced by stable ones
c) Dissolution and Replacement
- Groundwater dissolves bone/shell leavin mould. Dissolved silica/carbonate precipate out to give cast
d) Carbonisation
- Preserved as a film of carbon in sandstones/shales
e.g leaves, fish
- Occurs in low to no oxygen conditions.

Evolution
Also a bit broad, but if you want specific sections I'll see if I've got notes on them.

Australian Geographic History
No idea... wasn't even aware we had to do this!

Geologic Time
Just the eons and periods and stuff?

Eon > broken down to an
Era > broken down to a
Period > broken down to an
Epoch

Hadean Eon (4.6 to 3.8 billion years ago)
- Generally thought that life did not exist during this eon
Archean Eon (3.8 to 2.5 billion years agi)
- When life started
- Many rocks were extensively metamorphosed
- Procaryotes (bacteria) became dominant
Proterozoic Eon (2500 to 544 million years ago)
- Eucaryotic single-celled organisms became dominant
Phanerozoic Eon (544 million years to present)
- Development of multicellular organisms.

The Cambrian "Events"
The Cambrian Event refers to the sudden appearance of complex multicellular organisms. This is when animals evolved most of the basic body forms or plans that we can observe in modern groups today. These new life forms had hardened body parts, shells and exoskeletons (e.g Trilobite was covered by an exoskeleton called a carapace) but well preserved fossils from this time have also shown organisms had eyes, intestines, stomachs, digestive glands, sensory organs, epidermis, mouths and nerves.

Some websites:
http://www.theapologiaproject.org/Cambrian.pdf
http://www.geo.ucatgary.ca/~macrae/Burgess_Shale/
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/VIIB1cCambrian.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_Explosion

Ediacara
- Not entirely sure but I thought they were soft-bodied organisms that came before the Cambrian Event's hardened body parts, etc.

Well, I hope that helps. If you don't understand it, or want more, etc, just say. I'd like to help cos E+E people don't get too much compared to the other sciences.

goodrobo

HSC
My god that was awesome thanks!! They were detailed finely :)
I got my half yearly exam tomorrow...meh...ill give you a hand by doing crap and boosting your state ranking haha.

I'll put some of my notes on tonight... theyre pretty good... im meant to be studying for ancient history cos i got the exam in 2hrs.. meh..

I was drawing a picture of the world exploding wen i came up with this thought!!!
If for like 800 million years in the Hadean eon there was no oxygen....does that mean there was no sound...? Phreaky :eek:
K thanks babe i shall send u my notes tonite ! Wen are ur half yearlies?

Cat_Orange

HSC
No problem! As for the help in boosting my state rank, my entire class will return the favour. We had to do a class debate on why the megafauna died out. There were three groups and out of the three, the best reason was that the UFO's came down, didn't like the place and set fire to it, thereby effectively destroying the megafauna in one fell blow. As you can see, we don't exactly take the class seriously.

goodrobo said:
If for like 800 million years in the Hadean eon there was no oxygen....does that mean there was no sound...?
Wow, deep thought. I never thought about it, lol.

You've got your half yearlies now? I've still got a week to go. I suppose I better finish my summaries and revise or something. You do Ancient History as well? What topics did you do? Anyway, good luck with them. Extra notes definitely wouldn't go astray.

goodrobo

HSC
Woot back home...
Um Pompeii & Herculanem, Sparta for Ancient History.. Did the exam today..owned it !! :)

Yeh exam tmoz...ghey...um ill tell u all bout it tmoz and giv u the questions ha! Only 2 hours but...piece of cake.
I don't know where E.E.S will get me tho in life.. im thinking of developing "Stromatolite Cream!" it precipitates you and breaths for you and absorbs the sun. May cause side-effects like evolution though.

Heres sum notes i got so far for u:

Geological time scale:
  • The major subdivisions of the time scale are based upon the major life forms present during each subdivision and the extincions which occoured at the boundaries.
  • The names of the time divisions from smallest to larges are Epoch-Period-Era-Eon
  • (No Life) --> Cryptozoic (think crypt) --> 4600 to 570 million years ago (87% of all time)
  • (Life) --> Phanerozoic (think..oh yeah..that other one) --> 570 million years ago to today.
Useful era guilde (works better if u know ancient Greek history a bit)

4550-4000 mya: Hadean Eon | Greek for Hell
4000-2500 mya: Archaen Eon | Greek for Ancient
2500-545 mya: Proterozoic Eon | (Protero = First || Zoic = Life)
545-Today: Phanerozoic Eon | Young 'fossiliferous' rocks

Fingers tired ill give u more notes later muahaha

goodrobo

HSC
Exam was piss easy... 4th in the year! haha out of liek 20 lol. Ive got the exam here, heres the biggest questions asked:

U know what since i forgot to write my notes down ill give you questoins and answers and marks cos u deserve it:

Kay here are the main ones

Q12 c). Describe the importance of the role of ozone for the development of life during the Phanerzoic eon. (2marks)

A. The Ozone blocked harmful UV rays from the sun. As a result, life began to become terrestrial. For example, Stromatolites could live out of water.
Simple, easy, 2/2marks.

Q14. a) State what a Banded Iron Formation is. (1mark)

A. A banded iron formation (BIF) is a layer of sediment (originally underwater) that contains high levels of iron oxide. 1/1

Q14. c) Analyse the relationship between the appearence of Cyanobacteria in the fossil record and the formation of BIF's. (3marks)

A. Cyanobacteria produces oxygen. Iron Oxide is caused by the Oxygen connecting with Iron Atoms. Therefore, Oxygen was abundant at the time of the BIF, giving an indication of what time the world was abundant in oxygen by observing the sedimentary layers. 3/3

Q16. Deduce the advantages that Vertebrae had over the early Ediacara. (4marks)

A. Hard parts gave protection against predators and provided mobilization, allowing fauna to spread out its populatoin, the progression from sea to land was an advantage because organisms could access more food like oxygen, UV Rays and other food. 4/4

Q18. Explain the difference between relative and absolute dating (3marks)

Cant believe i got full markz fo this one i used my superior ancient history skills to bullshit and something stuck! haha

A. Relative dating is classification via class. Absolute dating involves processes like Radio-Carbon (C-14) Dating, which gives exact dates to ages. 3/3

--------------------
You'll probably get like a few tables and diagrams, all you have to do is process information you'd have to be missing some form of vital organ to get the questions wrong.
Multiple choice was easy they had questions like:

1. Over geological time, which of thefollowing is best explained by the plate tectonic supercycle.
a) Cyclical patterns of earthquakes
b) Formation and breakup of supercontinents
c) Mass extinctions and explosions in the number of species
d) Cycling of continental crust from subduction zones to mid-ocean ridges.

Of course the correct answer was C.

umm..lets find a harder multi choice question..

okay this was the hardest..in retrospect its one of the easiest ive seen lol

5.Which of the following best describes the organisms that formed the first known stromatolites?
a) Layer-forming bacteria that lived in the Hadean
b) Sediment-trapping cyanobacteria that lived in the Archaen
c) Mound-building filamentous green algae that lived in the Proterozoic
d) Sediment-trapping primitive flat worms that lived in the Cambrian

Answer was B..only because i saw the word cyanobacteria and thats what stromatolites are lolz.

You'll do awesome it will be so easy and good luck!!
Sorry took so long to reply just been studying the manner in which clowns enter volkswagons for a few days.
I hope i helped u :confused: im not as cool and smart as u so i try my best.
I remember u saying ur exams this week so good luck girl !!!!:)

:wave:

Cat_Orange

HSC
I'm heading straight for your school!! Rank = 4/20.. score. Mind you, our exam wasn't so hard either. Your info on the geological time scale was a heap helpful cos we hadn't done that in class.. or if we did.. I was asleep, lolz. Thanks for good luck!! I've still got Legal Studies and Religion.. but no-one cares bout religion!!

Yeah, your exam sounded heaps easy.. not implying that your stupid or nething tho, but yes, make way cos I'm coming over to your school. Lolz, you owned the ees and AH exam.. so you gotta be smart! I failed my AH exam miserably cos I didn't study, but then neither did any of me class mates, so it's all cool.

goodrobo

HSC
Haha cool.. good to hear you're going well!!
Im planning on marrying a rich girl and selling my body.. its the best i can hope for ahaha.

Babe u'll own the exams. ZOMGZ I HAD THIS DREAM!!

kk i was drifting into sleep whilst watching some video in class....and then i started dreaming i was on the bottom of a cliff and ontop was my E.E.S teacher and he was dressed like gandalf and yelled "YOU SHALL NOT PASS"..
But i wasnt too spooked so i jus chilled and did the xam.
Yeah it was easy dude so fun!!
um....38% in business studies...:bomb: lowest in class... ><
NEVERMIND i shall rely on my superior geological knowledge to choose a suitable battlefield for the exam writer. meh im sweet bout it...until report card day ha!

Anyways im jus like full chilliln after exams got nutn to do soo fun!!
Weekends coming up woo!! (Girls Girls Girls Girls Girls):)

Cat_Orange

HSC
goodrobo said:
Im planning on marrying a rich girl and selling my body.. its the best i can hope for ahaha.
Bwahaha!! Let me know how those plans go! My hopes of marrying a rich guy were dashed the moment I entered high school in Booragul. Alas, I shall have to work for my living. Or I suppose I could end up as a bum. Hmm..

As for your dream, now I can't stop picturing my teacher dressed as Gandalf yelling "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" Amusing cos our teacher's a woman and she never yells. Hehe.

38% in BS.. aw, nevermind. That's the marks I got in maths all the time (and thus the reason why I'm not doing it anymore!!) Yeah.. it's always cool til the reports come out LOL. But yes, I can't wait til exams are over and the weekend comes.. but definitely not for the reason you said!! Lots of parties and general fun. So who cares about school??

ridor8k

HSC
Just a few things I wanted to point out…

Goodrobo I think that you’ll find that the correct answer for your multiple choice question #1 is actually (B). The plate tectonic super cycle is best explained by the formation and breakup of super continents and not the mass extinctions and explosions in the number of species. I hope you didn’t put that in your exam. Maybe you didn’t reread what u typed in, I dunno, not trying to be critical though.

Cat_Orange, stromatolites aren’t life forms they are layered structures formed by cyanobacteria. May not be a big deal, but it would be incorrect to say that stromatolites are life forms.

[FONT=&quot]However your help is much appreciated, thank you both. And do post more threads in the earth and environmental science forums, they can be really helpful. I will do the same. [/FONT]

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
Cat_Orange said:
Oxygen and Ozone
Initially: No oxygen = no ozone
BUT
- 3500 million years ago cyanobacteria began producing oxygen
- Initially oxygen produced precipitated sediments (eg BIF) and this continued til 1700 million years ago
THEN
- 2000 million years ago oxygen began accumulating in the atmosphere
THEREFORE
- So did ozone
SO
- By 1800 million years ago, there were high enough concentrated oxygen levels to produce enough concentrated ozone to protect life on earth
you should also know how ozone forms:
uv radiation reacts with oxygen molecules (O2) and splits them into two oxygen atoms (O). each one of those oxygen atoms then joins with another oxygen molecule when they collide together to form ozone (which is O3).

was that simple enough to understand? soz, i feel the need to make it more detailed as i do chem.

princessrach

HSC
Wow your exams were AGES ago! Mines tomorrow so far i think im doing ok but our teacher knows everyone thinks ees is a bludge so he makes the exams super hard to prove them wrong. He tends to put in questions on rendom stuff we know nothing about and last year he put in a question on where he went for holidays. Thanks for those notes they are great. BTW Cat Orange - our class sounds suspiciously like yours. We enjoy pastimes in ees lessons such as playing Star Wars, watching Magical Trevor on the internet (Google it its so funny!), watching random internet movies and paying out the computer geek. We also enjoy drinking coffee and running around the school like spies. So mature.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You need to know the diagram for ozone formation as well. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to understand, if your anything like I was like, ozone was the worst part of the subject.

P.S. EES was real fun. I remember I used to play sim city in class.

And not enough people post in the EES section :(

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
this might be easier
oxygen (O2) O-O
splits to form to seperate oxygens O O
one of those reacts with O2 to form ozone (O3) O-O-O

its a lot closer to a diagram, and im not sure how to do better on this yet

amyianson

HSC
hey yall pump me some q's if ur having trouble. ill do my best. EES for life haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)